• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

petercoleman

Reaction score
yeah they're probably a half-size too big for me. I'm normally a 13 and got a 13. They don't offer half-sizes past 11.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that may not always be the case a couple of times i got leather shoes/boots so tight you could see the shape of my toes. still creased/wrinkled like cray.

of course this was a few years ago i don't own them anymore

SirKrimzon

Reaction score
Mate quick question before you leave...does the toebox look as sleek, long and flat as they do here or do they appear more clunky and shorter as it looks like here in the third picture of the profile on beans site?

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you were talking to pete i think chippewa is using the same last in both boots its just the angles in the photo. Toebox is probably not sleek at all.

seer

Reaction score
My initial impression of my new LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots. First, I usually wear a 10E or 10.5D. - I ordered the 10.5D. The last (Munson last I believe) is quite full. They were a little big - I swapped out the insole with a thicker Red Wing insole - the fit is perfect. Now to the quality; I am 60 years old and have owned Tricker's, C&J, Alden, Viberg, Grenson, Allen Edmonds, Red Wing, etc... and these American made Chippewas are easily one of the best made, most rugged boots I have owned. No, they are not as "pretty" as the others, but at less than half the price they are the best deal going - by far. The leather is thick and well oiled, and the construction is nearly flawless. They will easily last the rest of my life. They are a little stiff at first but are already breaking in fine. Because they are an oiled leather they don't offer a high shine, but I did manage to get a nice luster with two coats of Saphir Renovateur, though I might just go forward with a good boot oil. All and all I could not recommend these boots more highly!

Last edited:

seer

Reaction score
Would I be ok with wool socks and the katahdin work boots for the Russian winters?

I would say yes. I never use insulated boots here in New England, I use a heavy wool sock (actually Alpaca wool is the warmest for me) with a light nylon sock underneath. And I have gone through some pretty cold and harsh winters with no problems.

FENWAY

Reaction score
Seer- You picked up the newer Oxblood version? Saw them for the first time...impressive!

FENWAY

Reaction score
Oh, was confused by the Saphir reference. I prefer the dusty look of the cap toes myself. I save the great smelling Saphir for the shell and chromexcel :nodding:

seer

Reaction score
Oh, was confused by the Saphir reference. I prefer the dusty look of the cap toes myself. I save the great smelling Saphir for the shell and chromexcel
nod[1].gif

Sure, but I like a more even color. Which they have now - did use Obenauf's LP last night, then another coat of Saphir - I love Saphir, there is nothing better to bring out the deep color and luster in leather.

mixProtocol

Reaction score
As the captoe limits creasing, I'd image it holds a nicer shine than the service boot or the normal Chippewas....

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annmil44