• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dwlbu

Reaction score
How do you guys feel if a potential buyer asks to conduct a transaction via PayPal (outside of eBay) to save on fees? Is it not worth the risk of repercussions to even respond?
It's against ebay user agreements but if handled properly you'd still be covered by paypal if there were any disputes. I've bought stuff on ebay where a highly rated seller cut me a deal for taking it offline - and have had zero issues. Isn't really much different from using the buy & sell marketplace here on SF. That said I'd be weary of doing it with someone who has low or poor feedback. Don't knock the hustle

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Random question... does anyone have the ability to run a free carfax report? 
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

See if this trick still works:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/2nf1fn/lpt_get_a_free_used_car_report_using_ebay/

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

markusadams

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Quote:
cheers.gif
I know that feel bro. But very good condition for used thing is not the same as very good condition for new one. Let's face it.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not worth the risk of eBay suspending your account. Whenever I'm approached by people that want me to do this, it's so they will save money. It's never a situation where they suggest it in order to split the savings with me. In the end, they want the reduced price and want me to carry the risk, so not even something I would benefit from.

+1!

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
OK, gang, some next level douchebaggery going on here for an item bought Jan 1. Whaddayathink? Item # was 302176999520. My return policy is 14 days.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not worth the risk of eBay suspending your account. Whenever I'm approached by people that want me to do this, it's so they will save money. It's never a situation where they suggest it in order to split the savings with me. In the end, they want the reduced price and want me to carry the risk, so not even something I would benefit from.

Thanks for the insight, fellas. I guess the flip side of that is if I have an item that's not otherwise selling, it could be worth passing all the savings to the buyer, for the sake of just moving the piece.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, fellas. I guess the flip side of that is if I have an item that's not otherwise selling, it could be worth passing all the savings to the buyer, for the sake of just moving the piece.
My $0.02 but if you have an item that isn't selling, donating it would be better than trying to make a couple bucks with the possibility of losing your eBay account forever.

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you really want to move the item, just offer to reduce the list price. Even though you may not get caught, I do too much business on eBay to take that risk over 1 sale. I get suspicious any time someone asks to take a transaction off eBay. I just assume they may already be blocked from bidding/buying from me for some reason.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, gang, some next level douchebaggery going on here for an item bought Jan 1. Whaddayathink? Item # was 302176999520. My return policy is 14 days.

So wait, he's claiming the item is inauthentic because the buttons are plastic rather than metal?

First off, that would be not as described, not inauthentic.
Two, you're way past the return window, and probably past the feedback window. Isn't it still 45 days from receipt of the item?

I would certainly call Ebay and point out that he is falsely claiming inauthentic to try and force a return. They "should" be able to close that.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score

So wait, he's claiming the item is inauthentic because the buttons are plastic rather than metal?

First off, that would be not as described, not inauthentic.
Two, you're way past the return window, and probably past the feedback window. Isn't it still 45 days from receipt of the item?

I would certainly call Ebay and point out that he is falsely claiming inauthentic to try and force a return. They "should" be able to close that.

Thanks, @Fueco, for the correct language to use. Closed in my favor in 2 min.

Interesting claim, though. I have had a number of these Hermes shirts come through, and didn't even examine the buttons on this one super-closely when I was slamming through the photography, as all the prior vintage-y ones I've sold were metal. This one was more recent, so perhaps some freshly-minted MBA at Hermes decided to squeeze COGS and spec plastic ones painted with metallic finish instead. [As an aside, such a finding would add fuel to my decades-long claim that MBAs are ruining the world in their endless pursuit of incremental margin]. Or perhaps they were replacements. I'll carefully examine the next one I kop, since if this guy was correct (notwithstanding the lateness of his claim), I would want to avoid that error in a future listing. Some alternate "metal-look" language will have to suffice . . .

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my 10,000th Ebay sale last night! Fittingly, it was a Patagonia Down Sweater.
biggrin.gif

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys normally do with stuff like this?

Dear Nashville

I got my order and I have big complain , first of all it's old stock and there is a lot damage ( becz of storage long time might ) secondly jacket it's big .so I'll return the suit and I hope you changed and before send the new one check it carefully .

Reg
Abdulla

So I see 3 complaints: The used Brooks Brother suit he bought for $65 is "Old Stock", with a lot of damage and the jacket is too big. This guy is in Berlin, Germany so if I get a NAD case it is going to cost ~$30 to ship back. Should I just tell him to open a case and then attempt to have it closed for buyers remorse?

There was nothing wrong with this, I listed as Excellent no issues and I double checked and triple checked before I sent it out to Germany.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Guy is asking me to send him the cufflinks that were missing from the shirt
facepalm.gif
I'll drop a few in a stamped envelope if I can find more then the one I use for photos, not a big deal but just was confused at first

PS - Does anyone have a box of these sitting around?

9331_2.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads