• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
How the **** is this my problem??? Glad its under $30, but still what the hell?

What's SOP here guys?
New one to me, but the biggest thing in my mind is a) where do you ship it, paypal confirmed address? Google the guys name/address where you shipped it vs the one on the paypal account and see if it matches....

Call paypal... but pretty cure cc companies trump pp even if you did everything correct. Also, I would use the "find contact info on ebay user" which usually shows the phone number for the buyer and give them a call (not from a home or cell phone, but like a gchat phone number or something). He might have not remembered the charge and filed a claim.... I've had someone open a dispute b/c they forgot the bought something before.

Last edited:

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to Lighting..

I'd like to get some feedback on this continuous lighting kit I've been eying.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281110460134?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Does this look like a good kit with all the components included?
And if so, can anyone comment on the bulbs included, are they good?
Would you recommend swapping the bulbs for some LEDs of some sort?
Is there enough power to produce good enough lighting for a mannequin and for some flat shots (pants, jackets, shoes etc).

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Back to Lighting..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281110460134?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Is there enough power to produce good enough lighting for a mannequin and for some flat shots (pants, jackets, shoes etc).
I've been toying with the idea of getting something like that VS spending 3x that and picking up a lowel lighting kit. If you buy it, please def post a review/feedback.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of getting something like that VS spending 3x that and picking up a lowel lighting kit. If you buy it, please def post a review/feedback.

Link me to what you were looking at getting, so I can drool and convince myself otherwise
devil.gif

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How the **** is this my problem??? Glad its under $30, but still what the hell?

What's SOP here guys?

New one to me, but the biggest thing in my mind is a) where do you ship it, paypal confirmed address? Google the guys name/address where you shipped it vs the one on the paypal account and see if it matches....

Call paypal... but pretty cure cc companies trump pp even if you did everything correct. Also, I would use the "find contact info on ebay user" which usually shows the phone number for the buyer and give them a call (not from a home or cell phone, but like a gchat phone number or something). He might have not remembered the charge and filed a claim.... I've had someone open a dispute b/c they forgot the bought something before.

I won one of these a while ago. Or got to keep me money, but I consider that a win. I provided paypal/cc company IMAGES of the ebay feedback, all of the shipping information+the confirmed paypal address, the communication between myself and the buyer; essentially everything I had. Luckily I had images and timestamps, paypal/cc reviewed it and they let the funds go.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to Lighting..

That kit looks perfect, and you can always get brighter bulbs if you decide it's not enough light. I imagine the more expensive stuff would yield you better life bulbs maybe better color, but bulbs are easy to change out. Mainly they tripods and components are where these kits cheap out. I would argue since we're not moving anything, that really doesn't matter, my stands are really nice, but really after the initial setup, that didn't matter. For a pro, that would be hugely important. I'd love to hear your experience with it if you get it.
edit- not that I know too much about it, but I read 5000k was the proper light temp, I'm noticing that these are 6500k, would be a colder, bluer light I think.
edit- If you don't have it already, get some paper for your backdrop, that was the last really good change I made to my setup.

Last edited:

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My plan was to get a backdrop with a lighting kit.

I like tha backdrops because they extend to the ground a few feet, which would be an excellent place to take pictures of items that we do not use a mannequin for.

+ a lot of backdrop kits I'm looking at come with a white & black option which I could utilize.

I just want to nail down which light kit to go ahead and try out, my only concern is the wattage these are stating they put out. Is 2k efficient enough? Will that allow me to put any type of 3rd party bulb wattage In the socket?

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How the **** is this my problem???  Glad its under $30, but still what the hell?

What's SOP here guys?

I won one of these a while ago.

I also had one of these. I was too busy to do anything but trust the fact that I'd shipped the item on time, had proof of shipment and receipt and that I'd obeyed the Ebay policies. I didn't submit the kind of proof Tben did. But I still won. This must be remarkably common, and from my sense of the PayPal email on the subject, they must have some kind of insurance that covers them, because they seemed to take a surprisingly reassuring tone with their email updates.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I bought a roll that was 53" wide by 12yds I think - yes, exactly what this is. So much better than a sheet, which was my previous backdrop.

The way I see it, the lights are everything in the setup. We could jury rig everything else (assuming you have the room to keep everything set up all the time), you could even make your own light diffuser if you were so inclined, but you still need the right amount of the proper light.

Anyone have any experience with PayPal hacking? Someone hacked my PayPal, changed the email associated, phone number, and password. I have his email but no other way of logging into my PayPal. This happened yesterday and I;m going to call PayPal first thing in the morning (They;re close right now). I had some money in my account as well. Will I be able to get everything back?
Did you get a hold of Pay Pal? Are they resolving it for you?

Last edited:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also had one of these. I was too busy to do anything but trust the fact that I'd shipped the item on time, had proof of shipment and receipt and that I'd obeyed the Ebay policies. I didn't submit the kind of proof Tben did. But I still won. This must be remarkably common, and from my sense of the PayPal email on the subject, they must have some kind of insurance that covers them, because they seemed to take a surprisingly reassuring tone with their email updates.

With items of certain value and heavy buyer question/communication, I become increasingly paranoid and try to cover myself completely.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

edit- not that I know too much about it, but I read 5000k was the proper light temp, I'm noticing that these are 6500k, would be a colder, bluer light I think.

According to this, 6500K is equivalent to overcast daylight. Which normally works fine for me when I'm shooting my mannequin outdoors.

lighttemperatures.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads