• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers christmas sale

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
You must have a long torso, or I have a short one, as I didn't notice this. I was so pleased with the truckload I picked up the other day, I went ahead and ordered 10 more in case they ever get discontinued. I don't wear OCBD very much, but these are perfect for when I do. Some thrifter will be pleased to see the dozen or so BB slim fit OCBD I dropped at the Goodwill the other day..
laugh.gif

10 more?
wow.gif
You really like them,don't you?I put BB Slim fit OCBD (supima cotton) next to BF OCBD and noticed that arm holes are different,BF runs little slimmer,I am not sure if it's worth twice the price of regular BB slim fits though.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
After a few washings they shrunk or out of the box they were short ? I got a few for my Dad and
I hope he doesn't hit anything like this.

Out of the box the shirt sleeves are really too short, but wearable with a jacket. After the first wash, much too short. To be fair to BF, I have very long arms.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My concern is finding something that works for me, and that I like, and then having them discontinued and I must start out from square one. If I find something I like, I tend to load up and keep them stacked in a spare closet like a cache of weapons, only shirts..

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Out of the box the shirt sleeves are really too short, but wearable with a jacket. After the first wash, much too short. To be fair to BF, I have very long arms.

I got the BB2 15 1/2 neck & 34 in sleeve in White OBDC. I really love this shirt and some of the
features. It's a little too tight in the Chest...
frown.gif
Otherwise it's a great little shirt.

harrycaul

Reaction score
I have the BB OCBD slimfits (SF) in 16-35 and 16.5-36 and the BF OCBD in BB4 and indulged in some OCBD OCD. The sample size is n = 1, and the slimfits have been washed 1X, the BB4 0X. Bottomline is the BB4 is wider and shorter through the torso than either 16 or 16.5 in slimfit, and has shorter sleeves than a 35 in slimfit. Washing will likely make the torso of the BB4 slimmer and sleeves and hems shorter. 12/30, Correction of earlier post: The current plaid BB4 is not shorter than the striped; I had been comparing it to a Season Autumn 2007 striped OCBD BB4 (season is noted on the collar tag), which the store apparently had hanging around before I bought it a week ago. The 2007 BB4 is identical to the slimfits in hem length, and to the 35 in sleeve length. The BB4 measurements below are from a shirt that has no specification on the tag but I am guessing is from 2008, and fits the same as the plaid which I returned before measuring as thoroughly as these others. Great colors for the plaid BB4 btw.

The length measurements, from top of collar to lowest part of hem:

BB4: 32.5
SF 16: 35
SF 16.5: 35

Length from underarm to gusset:

BB4: 17.25
SF 16: 18
SF 16.5: 18

Sleeve lengths, from end of mid-yoke to end of cuff:

BB4: 25
SF 16-35 : 26
SF 16.5-36: 26.5

I took measurements of the front and back of the shoulder yoke for each shirt too. The BB4 are unwashed and I expect they will shrink somewhat in the yoke, sleeves and hem more so:

BB4 back of yoke: 18.5
BB4 front of yoke: 19.5

SF 16 back of yoke: 18.75
SF 16 front of yoke: 19.5

SF 16.5 back of yoke: 19.25
SF 16.5 front of yoke: 20

And finally the torso:

BB4 underarm: 25
BB4 width at bottom button: 23.5

SF 16 underarm: 23.25
SF 16 width at bottom button: 22.5

SF 16.5 underarm: 24
SF 16.5 width at bottom button: 23.25

The 16.5 slimfit fits me best, given that I have wide shoulders and relatively skinny torso. Cheaper too. The differences in construction are:

BB4 has the triangle gusset at the hem, a sleeve placket button, a hard-to-describe detail at the bottom button of the shirt placket, a curvy hem detail in front ( I don't have the vocabulary; maybe shirtmaven or someone else can elucidate), MOP buttons, split yoke, and the ubiquitous BF locker loop at the back of the collar. This apparently shows up on all Thom B. BB BF clothing, even shoes. The cloth is as heavy or heavier than the slimfit OCBD I have, but as I mentioned, the BF I have are new and unwashed, so can't compare fairly. Both shirts are good, but the the slimfits are cheaper and may fit better, depending on your build. And the BF may be collectible; with the Kent Wang OCBD, the BF OCBD, Japanese "trad" sweatshirts http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/forum/vi...hp?id=3830&p=3 post 61, Take Ivy etc., I'm sensing a trad repro craze. See J. Press OCBD with flap. Speaking of J. Press craze:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GOSSIP-GIRL-CHUC...1%7C240%3A1318

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you, suh!

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay

Both my dad and me share your long arms so it will be interesting to see how these fit.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
Both my dad and me share your long arms so it will be interesting to see how these fit.

Must be tough for three people to share a single pair of arms...

rimshot.gif

NOLA1

Reaction score
Did anyone buy the BF OCBD plaid shirt? I am tempted to add it to my cart but feel like it is one of those awful dad shirts that I saw in my dad's closet in the 80s/early 90s.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the various comments above, I look forward with equal parts excitement and fear to the day next month when I get to try my first BF shirts on (depending on if the backorder goes per BB's schedule)

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I picked up a couple Black Fleece button downs yesterday at about 40% off. Blue and white oxford cloth. Fits are nice, but I'd love to have another half inch in arm length. I'm usually a 15/34 and the BB1 is a tad short in arm length. Nice fit everywhere else and lovely MOP buttons. But I think I'll stick to the regular slim fits in future.

Also tried on a Fitzgerald in a gray multi-stripe. Fit well but I didn't care for the closed notches (fishmouth?) on the lapels.

Tempted by the Peal double monks, but am still undecided whether the brogueing is just too much.

mose

Reaction score
anyone who might have ordered pocket squares/ties or anything that was buy 2 or more = 50% off, check your emails. While the discount was reflected in the cart price, there were some errors with the final bills.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOLA1
Did anyone buy the BF OCBD plaid shirt? I am tempted to add it to my cart but feel like it is one of those awful dad shirts that I saw in my dad's closet in the 80s/early 90s.

I couldn't tell either so what the heck I ordered one - haven't seen it yet. It can always be returned.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
I picked up a couple Black Fleece button downs yesterday at about 40% off. Blue and white oxford cloth. Fits are nice, but I'd love to have another half inch in arm length. I'm usually a 15/34 and the BB1 is a tad short in arm length. Nice fit everywhere else and lovely MOP buttons. But I think I'll stick to the regular slim fits in future.

Also tried on a Fitzgerald in a gray multi-stripe. Fit well but I didn't care for the closed notches (fishmouth?) on the lapels.

Tempted by the Peal double monks, but am still undecided whether the brogueing is just too much.

I'd get the single strap monks,those look good.Color and look are much better in person,plus they are very comfortable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads