• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breakfast is overrated

Cotillion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Bagels are about as nutritionally useless a food as you can find. People think because bagels are low in fat that they're "healthy." That's even after they slather it with cream cheese. Even a plain bagel is junk. Satiety from a bagel is low, so you're basically downing an insulin spike that's going to leave you feeling hungry an hour later.
Meh. Bagels don't need to be super healthy like a salmon and a salad. They are breakfast food. They just need to provide energy in the morning and taste great. They are not "nutritionally useless a food as you can find" as they are actually better than white or wheat toast as bagels usually have 2-3 times as much protein per serving as toast or bread. The protein and carbs make bagels better a good morning food and they taste great. Bacon is not the healthiest meat either but I like it in the morning since it tastes great to me
smile.gif
But if they are not healthy enough for you cheers! Please enjoy your uber healthy vegan breakfast or whatever floats your boat while I enjoy my bagels and bacon in the morning. To each his own.
Originally Posted by JayJay
I've never been a fan of bagels.
Just curious if you have ever had fresh bagels in New York made from NYC water?

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
other advantage of bacon - its so salty which help encourage you to drink your GOMAD

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Most people aren't hungry in the morning because they pig out before they go to sleep.

THIS is the reason more people who don't eat breakfast are overweight. My 2c

facepalm.gif

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cotillion
Meh. Bagels don't need to be super healthy like a salmon and a salad. They are breakfast food. They just need to provide energy in the morning and taste great.

They are not "nutritionally useless a food as you can find" as they are actually better than white or wheat toast as bagels usually have 2-3 times as much protein per serving as toast or bread. The protein and carbs make bagels better a good morning food and they taste great. Bacon is not the healthiest meat either but I like it in the morning since it tastes great to me
smile.gif

But if they are not healthy enough for you cheers! Please enjoy your uber healthy vegan breakfast or whatever floats your boat while I enjoy my bagels and bacon in the morning. To each his own.

You sound like one of those people who thinks that eating healthy = lots of carrots, water and despair.

Where are you pulling some of these numbers from? The average bagel has 10 grams of protein. The average piece of wheat bread has 5 grams. That's a ****** tradeoff when you consider the carb ratio is like 3:1.

The bagels = energy thing is an excuse to eat junk. There are plenty of foods you can eat that provide actual energy, unlike bagels, which are just fast-digesting insulin spikes.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just curious if you have ever had fresh bagels in New York made from NYC water?

No, but I'll try one when I'm there next month for the holidays.

virus646

Reaction score
I think he's just trying to say that there's nothing wrong with bagel per se if you keep your goal/overall diet in check. You shouldn't only restrict yourself to certain type of food only because they're more nutrious (is that a word?) than their counterparts. You can enjoy a little bagel in the morning and still get your overall calories/protein/whatever other vitamins or macro down. And I'm not a bagel type of guy but I do enjoy my muffin every day, it's my ''cheat'' meal that allows me to stay focus on the rest of my diet more easily. And no, I'm not fat neither skinny and workout. I just keep in mind that I did eat a ''useless'' food in the morning so I better keep the rest good.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
We've had this discussion recently. Whole grains = Big Food's latest gimmick to sell you more ****** food under the guise that it's "healthy" because of the inclusion of whole grains. Froot Loops now boast "made with whole grains."

honest question; what consists of a 'good' breakfast?

i don't eat breakfast simply because all the food i associate with breakfast **************** (bagels, pancakes, omelets, bacon, etc) . I would like to eat a decent b-fast, but I have no creativity.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can do a lot of different things with eggs. Here's an awesome one if you've got a little extra time in the morning.

I doing intermittent fasting each day, so I don't eat until noon, which means I rarely eat breakfast foods. When I do, it's something involving eggs or almond flour (almond flour pancakes for the win!).

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Originally Posted by virus646
Ever heard of Ezekiel's bread? Very very good if you like the taste. They come frozen and use wonderful ingredients. It's a good alternative for those that doesn't want to get rid of bread.

It's been a couple years since I've had ezekiel bread, but I remember hating the taste. Agree that its a better alternative to bread though.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lunch might be overrated ... but NOT breakfast.

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slycedbred
honest question; what consists of a 'good' breakfast?

i don't eat breakfast simply because all the food i associate with breakfast **************** (bagels, pancakes, omelets, bacon, etc) . I would like to eat a decent b-fast, but I have no creativity.

there isn't such a thing as a "good breakfast." that's the problem - "healthy foods" are ambiguously defined. there are no essential food groups, only essential nutrients, which you can get from just a varied diet. "healthy foods" is just a marketing angle.

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
This.

I've heard its healthiest to not eat anything at least 2 hours before sleeping. If you maintain this pattern Breakfast is essential in the mornings.

I love bacon and bagels so I love breakfast. Can't imagine going without it. How can people live without bacon and bagels in the morning? I will never know.

you'll hear all sorts of bullshit myths, but until these claims are backed up by studies that can be peer reviewed, take them with a VERY LARGE grain of salt. for every claim there needs to be a reason to believe in it, e.g. evidence.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrankskly