• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Southern Trad Thread's Guide to Dressing in the Heat

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
e09811d8-611d-4eed-8dd7-7f6f29add6f0-jpeg.986540

Notes on Seersucker in the heat (not that it's very hot here in DC today). Only two data points. This khaki seesucker worn today and my old Haspel from last season. Cotton is not a very desireable suit fabric in my opinion. Fine for niche stuff like Seersucker but I will avoid it for suiting in general. I would place it last in "beating the heat" behind high-twist or Fresco summer wool, linen blends, and then pure linen (the Italian stuff, not the Irish).

I expect it was perfect for its time in the pre-a/c south. You could sweat it out, wash, hang dry and then wear it again immediately. Cotton was plentiful and cheap and the rumpled fabric needed no real pressing. Easier to dress somewhat formally and beat the heat back then without breaking the bank. (all unresearched opinion from me by the way...) Anyway, Seersucker is fun and I should get some use out of it if this summer is as hot as the last. Will revisit assessment after a few wears. Cheers!

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After a couple weeks in Houston I have come to some conclusions on dressing in the heat in the humidity of the South. Illinois and Kentucky (my two most recent residences) get hot in the Summer of course but it's nothing compared to the climate in this part of the world.

First point, sweating will just happen. Don't try and fight it.
Second, wearing a jacket in the heat is fine as long as you don't overdo your physical activity.
Third, acclimation happens quickly. I now feel slightly uncomfortable in 70 degree Fahrenheit conditions. God help me when I head back to Illinois Winters.

Finally I would say that it's simply not that bad. Yeah, you'll be hot in the heat. No great revelation there. But make climate appropriate decisions and just wear the kinds of clothes you like.

This jacket is 100% wool, shirt and trousers are 100% cotton and it was just fine.

smp1.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot. I'm a sockless person now. Not even no-shows.

smp4.jpg

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
95F and humid here today in Phoenix AZ since Monsoon season has started.

P1110849.JPG

There is a Brooks Brothers store in Biltmore Fashion Park in Phoenix AZ. Went there today to see it. Now I've seen it.

There is also a Brooks Brothers outlet store someplace around Phoenix. May go there sometime in the future and see it.

Highlight of the day (so far), lunch at Seasons 52 in Biltmore Fashion Park.

P1110854.JPG

(Roast Leek and Potato Soup and Garlic Chicken Pesto Flatbread.)

coreyaugustus

Reaction score
I just got a new suit in from Lanieri yesterday. Gonna require a little altering--frustrating, but it's my first one from them; they'll get the second one right I hope. It's 1/4 lined light gray fresco from Zegna. Weighs next to nothing. Pics to come if you're interested.

@smittycl Any predictions on how it handles the DC swampiness?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a new suit in from Lanieri yesterday. Gonna require a little altering--frustrating, but it's my first one from them; they'll get the second one right I hope. It's 1/4 lined light gray fresco from Zegna. Weighs next to nothing. Pics to come if you're interested.

@smittycl Any predictions on how it handles the DC swampiness?
I've never had MTM go 100% right the first time. A good company will take your corrections and get it closer, if not exact, the second time.

Fabric sounds great! Zegna is alway reliable and that weave should work well in the summer heat here. Definitely post some pics when your alterations are complete.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the subject of warm weather cloth, here is a post today from instagramer @therevdmr. He says this green solaro is 70 years old and from the picture alone it seems to have a depth to it that newer solaro doesn’t have. I’m still not a big fan of the cloth but it is interesting.

View attachment 996008
Intesting but a bit costumey. Approaching Batman-villain levels of boldness.

jiredell

Reaction score
As summer approaches, and since I’m down here in Atlanta, the South’s capital, I say we revive this thread! Although it is not yet warm enough for seersucker. Where has @Caustic Man been, anyway?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads