• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Southern Trad Thread's Guide to Dressing in the Heat

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think lightweight cotton can perform really well in the heat. Cotton doesn't insulate the same way that wool does so it doesn't need as much of an open weave. That said, heavy cottons can simply absorb a lot of sweat, weigh you down in sogginess, and be uncomfortable.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picking up my khaki seersucker fromtialors today. Will give it test drive on first truly steamy day. I am suspicious about heavy cotton, though.

aj805

Reaction score
I agree on the unsuitability of many cotton items. It's often touted in style guides as a summer fabric, but pants and jackets are usually twill and actually have poor moisture-wicking and don't breathe well. Anyone who wears jeans or chinos on a hot summer day is suffering for their style.

Junky thin cotton Ts and good madras can actually perform but otherwise linen and tropical wools will be better options.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would tell us this without pics ready for us to consume? Shame! (I really want to see pics :) )
Okay, premature but the cotton is fairly heavy on this one and it's fully lined. Will aim for Friday as it will be hot.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Around here, we don’t have massive heat but something around 25 to 30 (77 to 86) degrees is hot for us or at least for me and I sweat a bit more than regular.

I like to use linen trousers in a full cut, those are airy enough and feel great. But it’s a whole other story with linen jackets. I don’t feel as cool as I think I should. On the other hand I have a hopsack SC that feels great and it’s a lot more cooler than the linen one. I also have one cotton linen SC and feels hot. The blend of linen, wool, silk and cashmere feels also very light and cool.

I still need to try fresco, hopefully soon.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would have thought Mexico City got hotter than that. My family is from Coahuila though so we might be the wrong people to ask. :)

Oh, the north I think has a similar weather like Texas. Quite hot, they have hit 50°C (122°F) in Sonora. Insane. I will die in there hahaha. Here in Mexico City, we have a very easy weather.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, my grandfather and great grandfather lived on either side of the border in Coahuila and Texas for several years. My great grandfather was a consul during the Revolution so he traveled a lot. I'm going home soon, in a sense, since I'm moving to Texas in a few weeks. That's pert of why I started this thread. I wanted a place to share information about dealing with the heat that I'm about to experience.
:cheers:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
davenza.jpg

I think we talked a lot about fabric but not as much about fit. Wearing a comfortably fit beige D'Avenza in a very thin and light 100% wool weave. An Italian summer suit. Fully-lined but generously cut and breathable. Suit is actually yellower than the pic shows.

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standing on the corner of Bloody Basin Road and Nonchalant Ave wearing all cotton and staying cool on a day it's around 90F.

P1110764.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads