• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Tie Done Well.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Generally. It depends on how much horsepower you have. Conrad Hilton, 1952:
2h7ow9j.jpg
I remember going to a party at Casa Encantada when I was a boy when he was still alive...twenty acres smack in the middle Bel Air with its own 18 hole golf course. - B

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I like this very much and I think it captures your personal style very well. The blue shirt is a masters-level detail. IMO, it shouldn't be attempted by the rookie. Someone could be seriously injured if you don't know what you're doing. I love that nothing else is a deviation. No more than one very well executed deviation at a time. Perfect. I also like the combination of buttonhole and pocket square. Very Fred Astaire classic, but so rarely seen, it looks distinctive. Well played sir.
The ultimate test of one's sartorial Doctorate would be a formal ruffled shirt, specifically one of those colored ruffled shirts that Charvet has. ----- My dress set was a set of simple 1940s Cartier gold studs. I prefer one stud--too many might be injurious.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The ultimate test of one's sartorial Doctorate would be a formal ruffled shirt, specifically one of those colored ruffled shirts that Charvet has.

It was 1976 or 77 when I was at Casa Encantada, and yeah, it was all ruffles on the black tie, in resplendent LA colors.

- B

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The ultimate test of one's sartorial Doctorate would be a formal ruffled shirt, specifically one of those colored ruffled shirts that Charvet has.

It was 1976 or 77 when I was at Casa Encantada, and yeah, it was all ruffles on the black tie, in resplendent LA colors.

- B

Some day when I'm feeling particularly self-deprecatory I'll go to my mother's house and dig out my old prom pictures from 1978 and 1979 to show what carnage can result from imprudent deviations from classic black tie. Ruffled shirts were the least of my sins.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Some day when I'm feeling particularly self-deprecatory I'll go to my mother's house and dig out my old prom pictures from 1978 and 1979 to show what carnage can result from imprudent deviations from classic black tie. Ruffled shirts were the least of my sins.

I actually have no problems with ruffles.

It's like abstract chest hair and very apropos to the peacock period.

- B

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually have no problems with ruffles.

It's like abstract chest hair and very apropos to the peacock period.

- B

I agree. It's probably something that I could never pull off, but in a certain context I think it could work well.

In my case, the ruffles were supplied via a button-on dickie that likely was only available through better tuxedo rental shops in the 1970's and early 1980's.

EDIT: Though this isn't me, a quick Google of "1970's Prom" turned up this pic which is virtually identical to what I wore in 1979 [NSFW].
1117112833_1040.jpg

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree. It's probably something that I could never pull off, but in a certain context I think it could work well.

In my case, the ruffles were supplied via a button-on dickie that likely was only available through better tuxedo rental shops in the 1970's and early 1980's.

EDIT: Though this isn't me, a quick Google of "1970's Prom" turned up this pic which is virtually identical to what I wore in 1979 [NSFW].
1117112833_1040.jpg

When I saw the photo my only thought was of iammatt.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Because of the dress?

- B

That's a dress. OMG, it is. At first I thought she was peaking out from behind the drapes.

Biscione

Reaction score
n518040563_4821674_3866.jpg

Maybe it's part of your style, but I really dislike the look of a carnation boutonnière with the bulb at the base of the flower visible. For the same reason, I don't like normal roses as boutonnières either, unless if they're wilted over.

Those are incredible.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of collars do you people like with SB Peak lapel dinner jacket? Wing or fold-down spread/wing?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
What kind of collars do you people like with SB Peak lapel dinner jacket? Wing or fold-down spread/wing?

I like both, but wear this from time-to-time. Detachable wing.
Formal1.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscione
Maybe it's part of your style, but I really dislike the look of a carnation boutonnière with the bulb at the base of the flower visible. For the same reason, I don't like normal roses as boutonnières either, unless if they're wilted over.

I don't care for the look either, but the buttonholes are never wide enough, or the flowers are never properly done enough for the hidden effect. The really proper method would be to completely disassemble the flower and insert a wire stalk.

Roses I don't mind so much.

Atlantic herring

Reaction score
I went to my tailor who insisted that the juices from the flower would ruin the silk on the lapels. Therefor he put the little string for the stalk over the buttonhole to accommodate a flower higher up over the lapel. I found it odd but promised him to give it a try before returning it back. I guess my question is if he is correct?

Biscione

Reaction score
I don't care for the look either, but the buttonholes are never wide enough, or the flowers are never properly done enough for the hidden effect. The really proper method would be to completely disassemble the flower and insert a wire stalk. Roses I don't mind so much.
The buttonholes that are wide enough tend to look ridiculous. Not too many florists still sell single carnations that are pre-prepared to be worn in a buttonhole. Personally, when I can't get a carnation that is properly altered I either compromise and buy a smaller one or alter a normal one at home. This requires no more than string and something sharp. I think that garden roses actually make a very good boutonnière. They can also be stolen from many gardens and homes.
Originally Posted by Atlantic herring
I went to my tailor who insisted that the juices from the flower would ruin the silk on the lapels. Therefor he put the little string for the stalk over the buttonhole to accommodate a flower higher up over the lapel. I found it odd but promised him to give it a try before returning it back. I guess my question is if he is correct?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but it doesn't sound right.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads