• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Double Windsor doesn't get much love on this forum which I can understand. End up with a knot the size of your fist and it detracts from whatever else your wearing. Four in hand can look great, but depends on the tie... can end up with the opposite effect and have a tiny knot that has the same effect only less ostentatious.

Double four-in-hand is my knot of choice - it gives a nice, longer knot that is slightly thicker than the regular FIH and it usually results in a very nice dimple just under the knot, too. I suspect that if Thanasi tries a DFIH rather than a double windsor knot his ties probably wouldn't need to be as long.

All of the ties mentioned above (Sam Hober, Vanda, Henry Carter, EG Cappelli etc) are all very good. It's worth noting that Vanda's ties have very light construction, they are untipped and they don't have a keeper at the back of the tie. I personally like their construction and style (it's very similar to a couple of vintage Brooks Brothers ties that I have), but not everyone does.

This one's more for PoP and FXH - 

What is it with autocrats and short sleeves? 

Oli, I think that it's more due to the fact that in both photos Boris and Tony have their arms bent, which has caused the sleeves to ride up a bit. More a case of their posture and the cut of the suit rather than short jacket sleeves, I suspect.

Last edited:

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score

Double four-in-hand is my knot of choice - it gives a nice, longer knot that is slightly thicker than the regular FIH and it usually results in a very nice dimple just under the knot, too. I suspect that if Thanasi tries a DFIH rather than a double windsor knot his ties probably wouldn't need to be as long.

Yup, dfih is what I use if the fih is too meek.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people call the four in hand the schoolboy knot.

Not my fault I was straight up steezing since an early age.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanasi, you might check out the range of ties made by Barbara Blank, which are all designed for bigger guys. I think you can get them at High and Mighty stores. I had a very nice navy paisley tie of theirs; I only got rid of it because it was too long for me. :)

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kopped a shirt and a tie from the Rhodes & Beckett online sale. Good value except for the shipping - $25 ouch.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No pocket squares on sale. Shirts, ties, suits, belts. The belts were particularly heavily discounted. I would say the suits might be good value too - $999 down to $349.

You need a member number to enter the sale area of the site.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Kopped a shirt and a tie from the Rhodes & Beckett online sale. Good value except for the shipping - $25 ouch.
I think that actually might have been an error, it said that to me at first then i refreshed with Australia and it went to $10, and if you spent over $150 it was free.

I was surprised that they included some blue/white basic shirts, rather than just the normal pink/orange/aqua monstrosities. I had a mate at work tell me how they were great shirts because they were "Egyptian cotton", which is about the 100th time I've heard this. Somehow their marketing has driven this into the average office worker's minds.

No pocket squares, just some shirts, ties and suits. Their suits can be really hit and miss. A big hit from them is a mini houndstooth black and white number they have in store at the moment, with side tab trousers. Much more lightly constructed that the stuff I've tried on before. If it wasn't for extreme lack of versatility, I'd look at picking it up.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A big hit from them is a mini houndstooth black and white number they have in store at the moment, with side tab trousers. Much more lightly constructed that the stuff I've tried on before. If it wasn't for extreme lack of versatility, I'd look at picking it up.

Sounds interesting.

I had a Zegna suit in a black-and-white mini-houndstooth check some years back. It was nice but, as you say, not particularly versatile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads