• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhubarb jam

Reaction score
In terms of fit, I need something that is fairly generous around the thigh area. My Epaulet Rudy trousers are 13.25" thigh 12" rise approx. Then ideally fairly slim around the calf and ankle, but not hugging my leg. I imagine If I found something that fit up top but was a bit too loose for my tastes down bottom I could just taper it though?
Anyway I essentially know nothing about jeans and all the random *** brands that everyone talks about so I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
I'd suggest looking at the MAX fit of Acne jeans. Good quality, with a fit that sounds like it matches what you're looking for. I much prefer the Snake fit, but that will be too tight for your purpose.

Stocked at Acne in Melbourne and Sydney and a plethora of places online.

cciss

Reaction score
I've just moved into Sydney and I'm about to do a wander around the city in search of a decent pair of shoes. I'm looking for something casual for summer and in darker brown (maybe even a brownish red, if it works), potentially a pair of leather loafers or brogues. Would anyone have any suggestions about places I should have a look at?

Selvaggio

Reaction score

I've just moved into Sydney and I'm about to do a wander around the city in search of a decent pair of shoes. I'm looking for something casual for summer and in darker brown (maybe even a brownish red, if it works), potentially a pair of leather loafers or brogues. Would anyone have any suggestions about places I should have a look at?

Welcome cciss. You might find your options a bit limited - and expensive - in Sydney (or better, depending of where you have come from). Places to try:
David Jones - but sale time would be better- and you would have to sift through the dross - they have Loake and their own line, Milana, which can be okay (esp for loafers/mocs)
Josephs - Strand Arcade and Pitt St - stock Church
Herringbone - stock Crockett and Jones
Voi - Castlereagh St - stock Cucinelli and other Italo-brands

and, if in Balmain, I will give mention to a very small local shoe repair/mens shoes shop in the arcade opposite woolies (right in the centre of Balmain), Jazma Shoes - they have Loake, Wolverine, Bartelesi, RM Williams and their own brand.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Welcome cciss. You might find your options a bit limited - and expensive - in Sydney (or better, depending of where you have come from). Places to try:
David Jones - but sale time would be better- and you would have to sift through the dross - they have Loake and their own line, Milana, which can be okay (esp for loafers/mocs)
[COLOR=FF00AA]Josephs - Strand Arcade and Pitt St - stock Church[/COLOR]
Herringbone - stock Crockett and Jones
Voi - Castlereagh St - stock Cucinelli and other Italo-brands
and, if in Balmain, I will give mention to a very small local shoe repair/mens shoes shop in the arcade opposite woolies (right in the centre of Balmain), Jazma Shoes - they have Loake, Wolverine, Bartelesi, RM Williams and their own brand.

I suggest you avoid Josephs at any cost.

Last edited:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

im yet to find "decent" shoes in Sydney

C&J at herringbone but nothing else.
Well, if price is of no concern, the playing field widens up with:

Edward Greens at Henry Bucks
Artioli at Harrolds
Bally Scribes at Bally

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
hi guys offering free shipping on all orders this week only - use the code LANDED at checkout.

Im taking this one global so be quick to ensure sizing (if its still available)!

biggrin.gif

Selvaggio

Reaction score

I suggest you avoid Josephs at any cost.

How come? I've never bought anything there - I just included them for completeness.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few questions:
- In consideration of the other thread on the board regarding the best menswear brands what do you think are the best Australian menswear brands? I'd pick Anthony Squires, P Johnson, Herringbone and RM Williams.
- So long as you have a black belt and shoes is it okay to mix a brown leather watch and wallet?

cciss

Reaction score
What a great welcome to the forum! I've just done some brand research and they are lovely looking shoes, particularly some of the Loake. The monk strap Blackfriars look appealing, so I'll try and find a pair tomorrow.

Pairing leather shoes with casualwear is a little new to me, what does everyone think about it? Is a loafer something safe? I'm hoping that they will work with summer things like shorts and loose cotton shirts.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pairing leather shoes with casualwear is a little new to me, what does everyone think about it? Is a loafer something safe?  I'm hoping that they will work with summer things like shorts and loose cotton shirts.

With shorts I wouldn't rock longwings. Some do however. Personally I think sockless longwing is a terrible hipster look, but that's just me!

I would stick to penny loafers or, even better, boat shoes if you wanna pair leather shoes with shorts.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A few questions:
- In consideration of the other thread on the board regarding the best menswear brands what do you think are the best Australian menswear brands? I'd pick Anthony Squires, P Johnson, Herringbone and RM Williams.
- So long as you have a black belt and shoes is it okay to mix a brown leather watch and wallet?
Im not so sure of Mr Squires and Herringbone isnt really Australian anymore

I mix brown watch/wallet with black shoes all the time. The "rules" would dictate black shoes, belt, watch strap but meh...

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What a great welcome to the forum! I've just done some brand research and they are lovely looking shoes, particularly some of the Loake. The monk strap Blackfriars look appealing, so I'll try and find a pair tomorrow. 

Pairing leather shoes with casualwear is a little new to me, what does everyone think about it? Is a loafer something safe?  I'm hoping that they will work with summer things like shorts and loose cotton shirts.

Loake Blackfriars you say? How very interesting :)

DartagnanRed

Reaction score

Pairing leather shoes with casualwear is a little new to me, what does everyone think about it? Is a loafer something safe? I'm hoping that they will work with summer things like shorts and loose cotton shirts.
Good luck, but I don't think you're going to find them. DJs hardly stocks any Loake, Josephs only stocks L1 range and a couple of standard black 1880s.

As much as this makes me feel guilty, go to Josephs, try on Loake anything and buy something online in the same size from Herring Shoes or Pediwear. Sizing is pretty comparable across Loake ranges, regardless of last in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads