1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

I vaguely recall someone was looking for a pair of reading glasses similar to these?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I suspect that the Loake would be perfectly fine, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it's from the 1880 line and the quality is, in my experience, actually quite reasonable.
    Secondly, the part of the vamp that gets the most wear is made from suede and, given that suede doesn't crease as visibly as calf leather, the quality of the leather used isn't as important as it might otherwise be.

If you have a look around, you might be able to find some other makers. I have a pair of very similar shoes that were made by Alfred Sargent for Peal & Co for Brooks Brothers - there are a couple of photos here and here. However, they're not part of BB's current line up and I don't know if AS is offering them under their own name at present, either.

A quick internet search reveals that Barker Black (a separate firm from Barker, I believe) makes a similar model, which no doubt costs a bundle - see here.

Also, Skoaktiebolaget's (a shoe store in Sweden) website shows that they expect a Carmina spectator to arrive in March, but they have no further details.

4. jmills

jmills Well-Known Member

Even if they are, it appears that AS has forced its vendors not to sell to customers who aren't in EU countries. [​IMG]

5. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

Potentially - I've been caught up with a zillion things and no net access (which i didn't anticipate). I have something at 6pm, so I might only be around at the start (if we met at 5pm, for example) or later (if you guys met at 7).

It was suggested that some drinks on Spring Street might work, and I certainly think that'd be easily done.

What do you guys think?

6. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

Supper club at 5pm (is it open then?)?

I am WAY out of the loop with places to go, though!

7. jobro

jobro Well-Known Member

I agree the story line wasn't anything special. Basically cops being told they don't need to abide by the law to take down Cohen, it was also nothing like the real life events so they should have changed some characters names. Ryan Gosling opposite Sean Penn in an action movie isn't a great casting. It indeed made for a 'good popcorn flick' and Gosling made it a bit more "girl friendly".

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

I still have trouble envisaging the star of Lars and the Real Girl as a chick magnet.

9. Journeyman

Suppose it depends on whether the chick in question is real or not...

10. jmills

jmills Well-Known Member

Have you seen the blog (and book now apparently) "Feminist Ryan Gosling"?

11. Nicholas D C

Nicholas D C Well-Known Member

Anyone here tried out the SuitSupply 'Suit Up' line of suits? I'm tempted to try 'em out for my next major purchase in a few months, but wanted to get others' opinions on their recent output and quality.

12. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Me .. What are these?

Cant hurt to try with free shipping.

But if you wait a few weeks ill be able to reveal a new, better quality mtm suit at similar price point... None of this measure yourself crap either :)

13. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

What price range ?

14. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Ryan is hell hot. I would do him if I'm not straight. same goes with the other Ryan of Hollywood.

15. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

blah!

16. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

picked up a navy RLBL suit for $800 in David Jones... i bought it because its a classic colour and a great deal for black label but i already have alot of suits... Should i keep or return?

[​IMG]

17. Journeyman

The jacket body and sleeves look rather short.

If you don't mind the short look - which is fairly trendy at present - the body of the jacket is probably fine, but I'd make sure that you can let the sleeves out sufficiently before deciding to keep it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  18. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Well-Known Member

I own a Sienna (Suit Up) and it fits great. Really really nice, soft shoulders, pick stiching, horn buttons, slim but not H+M slim. I think it's lovely. I've got pictures if you're interested. I'm no model, however!

Details please! Will it be like a Kent Wang deal, with the trial suit sent out and then alterations made from it? I'd be interested, especially if you can nail the quality at a similar price to the Suit Up line from SS.

19. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

yup finalising - will let you guys know. Cheaper than Wang but i believe the only way to get MTM to fit properly is have people who know what they are doing take the measurements and avoid F-ups like on the indochino thread!

20. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Well-Known Member

So does this mean that the trial suit comes with a tailor to measure you as well?

Mind = blown

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.