1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Yes, they are oxblood, lovely colour for the quarter brogue style.

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I think that Ed changed his supplier and so the prices of Panta trousers went up by about 80% in one hit when he did that.

As you say, when you get up north of $350 for a pair of off-the-rack trousers, you're better off getting a pair made-to-measure.

3. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Herring usually takes a day to reply, what english shoes do you have right now? we can give some guidelines.

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Even without a pic I'd say probably not. Overcoat / raincoat sleeves should cover your shirt / jacket sleeves. You don't want them shorter or else you'll look like Inspector Gadget with those telescopic arms.

5. Journeyman

+1.

I suppose that it depends on an individual's feet, as well as the particular last in question, but I have a couple of pairs of Alfred Sargent shoes and I take the same size in them as I do in C&J, Cheaney and Loake.

6. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

I think it's supposed to be about half an inch below the sleeve length of the jacket you are wearing under it (assuming that you have it on over a suit).

7. kayhill

kayhill Well-Known Member

@Osiris2012

I ordered the size 9UK (F fit). Generally speaking I'm a 9.5 in E and a 9 in F fit. My foot is approximately 282-285mm in length and approximately 10.5mm in width across the ball. Length is more than enough (might even be a smidge long), but width is about just right. Wouldn't be confident going down half a size without trying the shoes on.

By way of comparison, I can barely squeeze into an 8.5UK C&J 348 last - but that doesn't fit. I'm a size 9 in that last.

@jmills

Yup, as wurger said, they are. He has some better pics of the Drakes a few pages back. Under natural lighting it's a little bit more reddish brown than it appears in my pics.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  8. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah they have been good to reply in the past, not sure whats happened on this occasion. I only have Loakes on the capital lasts in 8F. The fit is good but I do wear inner soles with them and there is still a tiny bit more room on the sides then a perfect fit but put it this way if the Drakes were in 8F id happily order them based off the capital last. I was thinking with the room on the sides maybe I could downsize to a 7.5 if its only a few mm off the sides in terms of measurements hence why I emailed herring.

Im set either way, ill either get the Drakes pending on what you guys say about the sizing and if Herring gets back to me or im going to go down the Meermin route and get a pair of mto musuem calf or burgandy cordovan boots, so one way or another theres a new pair of shoes incoming :)

9. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

Awesome jacket senor Henry Carter.

I gave my shoes a quick clean and polish on he weekend and forgot to put my laces back in. Do I go up a #swag level walking around in oxfords without laces?

10. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Insoles usually take up half a size, so you probably a 7.5, and the same for Loake as well, 7.5.

11. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

Just an appreciation post: this winter my OJ Oxford shirt (in white) has been getting an epic workout. At least once per week. It's been to weddings, work and school social functions. It's still looking great and wearing in well. Fantastic piece of kit - fits beautifully and always looks great.

:)

1 person likes this.
  12. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Mine will be a higher rise too but the Panta legs I found too slim, especially below the knees. I have been a cyclist for many years though so don't have stick legs. But I guess the plan is to have a slim trousers that has a clean line though the leg and fits a wide variety of people. No easy feat!

1 person likes this.
  13. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say I have stick legs, more like twigs really.

14. burnso

burnso Well-Known Member

Wurger I just pm'd Osiris talking up the shoe and sizing. I would also conclude that I'd likely go down the half size from Loake capital w/insole.

I have found the Drake perfect for my foot, they fit like no other and feel MTM.

How do other AS lasts compare to the herring 1966 last? Ie the Drake arch support and width are perfect, and Id have to look to AS in the future...

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

edit: fit pics/ action shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    2 people like this.
  15. JayH

JayH Well-Known Member

I always find problems with tightness around the seat and mid thigh, then too loose down to knee and below. I guess this a bike riders #firstworldproblem

16. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

No one here excited about Elon Musk's Hyperloop?

Trip between Sydney and Melbourne possible in 30 mins to 40 mins. Sydneysiders can browse shoes in Double Monk on a day trip.

SF LA costing at $6b- some are skeptical. Wonder what Syd-Melb would costs?

17. Journeyman

I haven't read much about it, but the "official" SF-LA high speed rail plan is estimated to cost $68 billion, so I don't know how Musk expects to do it with unproven technology for less than one-tenth of that amount.

The idea of a very-high-speed pneumatic tube is an interesting one and I suppose that it would, potentially, involve much less infrastructure than a full railway setup, but I'm still sceptical. However, it would be great if it pans out.

One thing that frustrates me immensely about Australia nowadays (and it's not just Australia - this clearly afflicts places like the US, too) is that once upon a time we were able to afford large-scale national infrastructure projects, and we were able to get in and do them without planning them for decades.

Nowadays, however, it takes many many years for anything to even move past the planning stages and during that time the costs typically seem to increase ten-fold or more whilst the need for the infrastructure becomes greater and greater.

18. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

@Foxhound "they are simply beautiful, and any girl lucky enough to come home with you won't think twice about fucking you again in the morning when she see's you in these."

With that attitude mate, I'd say you'll struggle with Round 1, let alone thinking about Round 2.

19. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Prudes of styleforum.

20. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Man, I am completely joking. I don't bring home girls full stop. If they were to enter my bedroom, they'd see my computer setup and video game collection and fuck right off.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.