1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halifax

Halifax Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,

Has anyone had any dealing with Mr Daswani from Raja's Fashion, Hong Kong? He is currently on an Australian tour, soon to be in Brisbane. He looks decent and his prices seem reasonable but you never can tell with Asian tailors.

I like some of the threads Rhodes and Beckett are selling, but I'm struggling to justify the expense

2. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

If you miss Raja, Andy from atimelesstailor will be in brissy early september, I have seen a lot of recommendations for him over the place but never got around to using him myself.

3. streetminimal

streetminimal Well-Known Member

You're dreaming if you think something this advanced would be built in Australia. Our current public transport systems in every single state are still 10 years behind.

+1 and a good indicator that money can't buy taste.

4. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

Quality critique. Pisses me off that some politician's voting platforms are "vote for me and we'll commission a study!".

Cool, but I prefer, you know, action - even if it isn't perfect.

5. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

Agree, however, my dreams are cheaper than a lotto ticket.[​IMG]

6. Halifax

Osiris, Thanks for the info. A couple of friends are interested in suits too, but it is unlike I will be able to organise them in time so Andy might be a better bet. Is Andy comparable in price?

I went to a conference once (I'm currently studying in the aerospace industry) and the minister of science and tech spoke about how the government is happy to spend money on 'ground-breaking' tech but not venture into 'established' industries. This is why no advanced stuff gets built in Australia: you can't have F1 without a decent consumers driven industry to support the research. Plus labor and electricity is uber expensive here.

7. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

My rents would be thrilled if I brought a girl home :(

Edit: anyone seen that horrid sports watch Abbott's been wearing all campaign?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  8. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

With your mention of studying in the aerospace industry and your username, I must ask whether your avatar is a picture of a Handley Page Halifax?

With regard to tailoring, I would be very, very hesitant to use a visiting HK-Indian tailor.

I have some friends who have used visiting tailors and the results have been very, very ordinary indeed, particularly the shirts and jackets. Interestingly, it looks as though they can do reasonable trousers but anything that involves fusing or canvassing (such as shirt collars and jacket chests) doesn't end well. I even saw a jacket that had no lapel buttonhole, which just looked odd and was clearly a quality-control oversight.

I'm biased, as I've used the following business for shirts, suits, a pair of trousers, and odd jacket and a couple of ties, but I'd be inclined to get in contact with Rene of Deer Style, a Brisbane tailoring operation, and have a chat with him about what you would like. His prices are very reasonable and he has a range of products to suit different price levels, too. He is very low pressure, very knowledgeable and very happy to have a chat. You can get in touch with Rene at: sartoria.deerstyle@gmail.com

You can see more of Deer Style's products on their Tumblr and Facebook pages. Of course, as Deer is a local business, if you think that anything needs changing or altering, you can just meet up with Rene to arrange things, which is much more straightforward than trying to deal with someone who's flown back to HK.

Don't hesitate to send me a message if you'd like to discuss further.

Edited to add: I'd also be very hesitant about using a Thai tailor in Bangkok. I also know some people who got suits whilst on holiday in Thailand and, without exception, they're all awful, too. One suit, which was made from silk, did look pretty cool when out nightclubbing but if you saw it in the daylight it looked awful, and awfully cheap.

Also, getting a suit whilst on holiday presents all kinds of issues with regard to getting a good fit, as things are typically done very quickly out of necessity, and of course if you need any alterations or repairs, you've really got no comeback as they're in an entirely different country.

9. cemi1988

cemi1988 Well-Known Member

By which time technology has evolved and the project is obsolete anyway. Rinse and repeat.

10. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

One day you'll say something positive. One day.

11. streetminimal

streetminimal Well-Known Member

I mean Sydney just rolled out the 'peak hour' trains with a 1x1 seating arrangement when something like that has been already implemented across many developed asian countries, america and the UK. Fucking hell, it's as if the people who run out public transport systems don't read the news or get any insight from other parts of the world.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Agreed. Until the last lot of rolling stock was introduced, all of the passenger trains in Brisbane were made with relatively small standing areas immediately inside the doors, and then very long carriages (with only one door at each end of a looong carriage) with 2 x 2 seats sticking out from the walls into the aisles. No handstraps hanging down for people standing in the aisles, and only small handles on seatbacks. Of course, people who had to stand did not want to move down into the aisles because it was difficult to get back to the doors at each end of the carriage as you had to squeeze past everybody else standing in the aisles, and then squeeze past the crush of people in the small space near the doors. So, as a result, anyone standing just congregates near the doors and the aisle standing room remains almost empty. It's a ridiculous situation and, no kidding, during morning rush hour, the small space near the doors ends up being as crowded as trains on the Yamanote line in Tokyo.

Meanwhile, in Tokyo, the passenger trains have long seats running along each wall, shorter carriages with plenty of doors, and lots of straps and rails handing from the ceiling for people to hang on to, and it's been that way for the past few decades.

Also, Tokyo managed to introduce e-card ticketing quickly and easily, and they managed to use it for a variety of modes of transport run by different authorities. For some reason, it took more than ten years to do that in Brisbane, despite (or perhaps because) the various transport authorities all being run by different levels/areas of government.

Japan has also had near-field communication (NFC) chips in phones for about the past decade, which allows Japanese people to use their phones as virtual wallets, including using them to travel on trains - you just wave your phone above the reader on the ticketing gate as you pass in and out of the station).

13. acinod

acinod Well-Known Member

Heading to the USA late December and thinking of checking out Chicago, New York, Boston and LA.

Where are some essential places to shop and when would be the best time for sales?

14. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

15. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

"Go to your room! Immediately!"

16. Halifax

I've heard of that place... Detroit; must be a small place.

Don't be fooled though. I was in Boston just before the bombing and there were swarms of beggars around Coppley square. One guy gave everyone at Back Bay station his life story about drug addiction and re-hab to procure some cash. Couldn't go 10 minutes in DC wihtout hearing sirens. The more perplexing thing of my previous visit Stateside was that I felt safest in Chicago.

17. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

OT, but this issue annoys me too. I spend about half my time in Shanghai, which now boasts the world's largest (by track kilometres) metro system, all built in the past decade, and still being expanded. The carriages are precisely as above, which is essential for any system which has to handle huge numbers of commuters. It's dirt cheap, and payment is by an induction card system which you wave over a sensor on the turnstile at each end. Also works on buses, and...get this...IN TAXIS. You top up your card when you need to, at an auto booth or at a manned window.

Now for my particular gripe: weekly/fortnightly/whatever "discount" tickets. Massive crock - each transaction requires about two minutes of either ticket officer's time, or some muppet fumbling endlessly with banknotes and credit cards at a dispenser booth while a huge queue builds behind them. Discount is small; they could just lower the per-trip cost over the entire system and do away with this multi-trip crap altogether. Total revenue from sale of public transport tickets recoups only a small percentage of the cost of administering the ticket system, so why the hell do they bother? Why, to send a price signal - otherwise there would be complete chaos on the system. So just do away with this multi-trip bullshit, make each trip really cheap, and have an induction card payment system. Simplifies everything.

We are spectacularly clueless about public transport in Australia - like little children fumbling with early Mozart minuets, while our big brothers in the Asian megalopolises are performing Rachmaninov's Third with their transport systems.

18. Halifax

Journeyman,

Thanks for the advise. I'll definitely have a look at Rene's wears. I've used Bob at Ashley and Schreder multiple times. He offers Rundle suits which he claims are all Australian and I look good in the cut they offer. People don't seem to like how disorganised he is but I love having a chat with him. I know that most of the shops in Brisbane use Helen for alterations - where is she based?

The Cloakroom seemed a little over priced for an MTM. Has anyone used the Suit Society? It seems to be another MTM but the prices a quite reasonable.

19. kayhill

kayhill Well-Known Member

We've got nothing compared to the Japanese! Culturally they're just bloody minded about quality, efficiency and not shirking. You'd think we were the same or better the way Abbott and Rudd carried on during the debate, but the proof of the pudding is in the public transport.

20. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

I've been overseas a fair bit. It feels like jumping in a time machine when going to England and Continental Europe and going forward 10 years. Also smokes are so cheap overseas :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.