• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I dont know much about them, but I did some digging and found out a bit about them. Check my blog for a profile. But, I have not had any of them in my hands so I cannot vouch for their quality. But they are made of the best italian acetate. They are also handmade and by a company from the 1880s. My guess would be that they are well made. I dont know what their pricing is like though...
*EDIT Apparently the name Anglo American has been bought by is not trading as of yet. The original company made custom made hand made eyewear. I don't know what the company is like now...

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frodo
I have a question. What is the current opinion of Ray Ban's various classic aviator style sunglasses? Similar to this: Are they completely out of style? I never see them worn much anymore, but to me they're timeless. I think most sunglasses I see these days look too reptilian and uber-cool. Just curious what you thought.
This style IMO is played out now. If you are young and trying to wear them, it is too played out. But if you are 50+ and you have had them since back in the day, wear them because they look cool and classy. Everyone is making copies and it just isnt as trendy as, say last year.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by naaaaate
Hey, can you recommend me some options for browline glasses a la rayban clubmasters? I have a round and sort of wide face so I kind of like the height of the glasses to be more shallow, do you have any suggestions? Preferably not super expensive. I want something old styley / classic but all the browlines i can find now with a shallow height are very modern feeling. Weird question sorry haha... Maybe I'll just find some old B&L clubmasters on ebay, I recently tried shurons but they were garbage.

Maybe not a less expensive option but Lafont has one that looks great. It has just been released, so I havent seen it in my hands, but I saw them in a magazine. If you want something inexpensive, Im almost positive that Club Monaco has one that runs for no more than $150.

But there are a lot of alternatives, I just cant think of any off the top of my head. But check out a brick and mortar store, they should have some. Check out a Lens Crafters, dont buy it there, but check them out because they carry basically all of Luxotticas frames. Buy it at an independent store though because you'll get a much better deal.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
What is Serengeti like as a brand?
Vocab: Photochromatic = changes colors (darker) when introduced to UV. I saw the collection 2 days ago. They are all photochromatic and glass (a few pieces of poly lenses). They have a niche market in terms of photochromatic lenses, as not many companies that I know of make strictly photochromatic lenses. The lenses are also available in polarized photochromatic which is also rare. The retail prices are around $300 up to $350 The frames are okay, nothing special but the style is slightly dated. They are trying to do the "keep old styles" like Rayban, and they have the Rayban copies too. Some of the plastic frames are a bit more trendy and edgy but nothing is "stylish" IMO. Bang for the buck, on a scale of 1 to 10 I would say its a 7. It is great if you are looking for photochromatic lenses. If you are looking for something more stylish, look elsewhere. For the price though, you can find another brand with polarized lenses.

coffeequeen

Reaction score
By any chance, do you know who makes the round plastic eyeframes Dominick Dunne, the author, wears?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coffeequeen
By any chance, do you know who makes the round plastic eyeframes Dominick Dunne, the author, wears?

I dont know exactly what he wears but a lot of companies make something similar.

Hackett of London
Anne et Valentin
Prodesign (metal)
Oliver People "Emmerson"

Cheaper alternatives:
Banana Republic
Jones New York

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi CityConnection,

What is your opinion on the quality of François Pinton frames?

Thanks.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Hi CityConnection,

What is your opinion on the quality of François Pinton frames?

Thanks.

Francois Pinton is now a 2nd generation business with the son of the originator running it. It is based out of France. The quality of the frames are quite good. I carried them back in the day and I can still see that they are good quality. Find a style you like and go for the dive. I think they are worth the price...

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of zyl glasses which are being shipped to me from the lens lab. I don't want to have to drive back to the place where I got them to get them fitted. Is this easy to do by yourself?

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
Vocab: Photochromatic = changes colors (darker) when introduced to UV.

I saw the collection 2 days ago.

They are all photochromatic and glass (a few pieces of poly lenses). They have a niche market in terms of photochromatic lenses, as not many companies that I know of make strictly photochromatic lenses. The lenses are also available in polarized photochromatic which is also rare.

The retail prices are around $300 up to $350

The frames are okay, nothing special but the style is slightly dated. They are trying to do the "keep old styles" like Rayban, and they have the Rayban copies too. Some of the plastic frames are a bit more trendy and edgy but nothing is "stylish" IMO.

Bang for the buck, on a scale of 1 to 10 I would say its a 7. It is great if you are looking for photochromatic lenses. If you are looking for something more stylish, look elsewhere. For the price though, you can find another brand with polarized lenses.

The ones I'm seeing are generally much cheaper than $300. Personally I like the classic styling they offer, as well as the styling of many Raybans.

Could you post photos of models which you consider to be stylish?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I actually have two pairs of Anglo American frames from a few years ago that I love. They seem very authentically retro. I keep getting new lenses in them as my vision needs change over the years, but was just wandering if they had anything of note in the works re frames.

Kique

Reaction score
Do you have any experience with Zenni Optical or any other cheap glasses site? I'm thinking about picking these up. I'm not sure if they'll fit my face right, but its so cheap I thought I might as well try them out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads