• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Thread for Sunglasses (High End and Rarities Welcome)

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for small round sunglasses.
I have a thin face and almost everything looks big on me.
To give you an idea the 50mm wayfarers are slightly too big.
Something with 47mm or 48mm dimensions do you recommend any?

Reminiscent of my Persol Typewriter 3110, I quite like these by David Kind, though I think the Kind's might have an edge:

davidkind.jpg

Mind you, they are 49mm.

LucasFilms

Reaction score
I am seeing more and more people wearing sunglasses with a metal frame, instead of acetate frames... do you guys think the metal frames are going to be more popular?

JDelage

Reaction score
What are the best alternatives to JMM for acetate frames? I suppose that would include Salt and Native Sons...?

astroboy

Reaction score
The Ray Ban here is also a 58mm, right?
Of course, they are both 58mm.

I am seeing more and more people wearing sunglasses with a metal frame, instead of acetate frames... do you guys think the metal frames are going to be more popular?
For me, metal frames do fit better with their adjustable nosepads. Most acetate- or plastic-frames do not have nosepads, so they are slippery on my nose when I'm sweating in the sun.

LucasFilms

Reaction score
For me, metal frames do fit better with their adjustable nosepads. Most acetate- or plastic-frames do not have nosepads, so they are slippery on my nose when I'm sweating in the sun.

That's true! I also find metal frames fit better because it's easier to get an idea of the size of sunglasses. The size, as in 51 22 145 for instance, refers to the lenses, bridge, arms... and with heavy acetate frames like JMM or Cutler and Gross is harder to get an idea...

Both JMM and Cutler and Gross make big and bulky acetate frames which do not look good on many people.. they look "oversized", like the glasses are wearing you. Moscot is kind of bulky too, although it is possible to find some glasses that fit well, plus they have several sizes for some models like the Lemtosh or Miltzen...

Lord Raglan

Reaction score
Barberini VFX polarized lenses are simply some of the best crystal lenses ever made.
Hey everyone! Am new to the forum and i'd like to start off my membership by asking a simple, straightforward question: in the wake of the above quote, i'd like to hear your thoughts as to who makes the best sunglass crystal lenses (preferably polarized) right now. I've always been a fan of glass lenses: fortunately i don't have any problems with my eyesight so i'd take glass over plastic every day and in every way for its superior optical clarity as well as scratch resistance.
I am in the market for a high-quality aviator shades of the squared variety and here are my provisions:
- all-glass lenses, polarized / either dark brown or dark green (g-15) - MOST important provision!
- all titanium construction
- navigator shape (think Dita Flight Seven and the likes)
- (hand)made in Japan
- exclusive and hard to get
- NOT owned by Luxottica
did i forget anything?
I don't think so, that'd be all for now.
I'd immensely appreciate any considerations/suggestions other members would care to share!
I'll stay tuned.
Thanks everyone ;-)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads