1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ambrosi Napoli

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambrosi, Apr 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

Those pants are pretty cool, I think. They'd go over a lot better on the sw&d side of the forum.

2. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

For good reasons..

3. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

:rotflmao:

4. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

So this is now the general joke Pents thread?

5. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

6. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Well-Known Member

Some kind of jodhpur?

[​IMG]

7. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

+100

8. JeffArmoury

JeffArmoury Well-Known Member

To be clear, I posted this to show off Salvatore's range of cutting skills and willingness to experiment. Regardless of whether or not you like them, it showcases a style of pant which most makers wouldn't even know how to cut. The end goal may not be to your liking, but still think it's worth taking a look.

Jeff

2 people like this.
  9. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

Can he them so they button all the way up the inseam of the legs to the crotch? Would have to be stretch waist so you can step into it or pull it over your head & shoulders.

10. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Well-Known Member

This is arguably true, as "sailor pants" in womanswear have been around for a while and can be found in many RTW offering, I am sure you can google the images yourself. It is just a silly idea in bad taste, certainly not Classic Menswear at all

11. jefferyd

jefferyd Well-Known Member

Inspired, no doubt, not by "sailor pants" but by the type of regency-era trousers favored by Brummell.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

The flap makes a nice apron to hide the dribble when you pee.

So will we see an Ambrosi codpiece soon?

13. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Well-Known Member

Jeff, what is your position with the Armoury?

14. chestercopperpot

chestercopperpot Well-Known Member

Pants look insane. I'm into them :slayer:

15. JeffArmoury

JeffArmoury Well-Known Member

Hi Mark - I'm just part of the core NY team but any of us (Nick, Jeremy, me, and Zach) can help you out.

All the best,

Jeff

16. David Reeves

David Reeves Well-Known Member

Portlandia.

1 person likes this.
  17. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

I wore sailor pants in high school for the Sea Explorers. This was the late '80s, so it was the bell bottoms that we liked the least about them.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  18. CaymanS

CaymanS Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I like this one but am still confused as to why Italians insist on trousers cut for a belt with clip-on braces. I get it that if you're just a normal stylish Italian dude then it's sprezzy but if you're a bespoke tailor and you cut your own pents, ostensibly you can cut them without loops for belts and, you know, buttons for real fucking braces. Any devil-may-care affection that you experiment with has to look like you at least tried not to give a fuck. If you try too hard to not give a fuck it's worse than over-giving-a-fuck...I guess that's what I'm saying.

[​IMG]

19. Pasha

Pasha Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like these pants are cut for a belt. There's only one belt loop there to support the extended waistband.

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

As mentioned by Pasha, I think that there's just one belt loop, to hold the extended waistband tab.

However, I certainly agree with what you say about wearing clip-on braces with bespoke trousers - if you're wearing a $1000 pair of bespoke trousers, why on earth would you wear clip-on braces?

I realise that it's subjective, but to me at least, it looks silly. I know that it's also something that Ethan and Jake from The Armoury have done previously with their own Ambrosi pents, and I didn't understand it then, either.

I agree entirely. A lot of the sprezzatura that we see in #menswear photos is really "faux-sprezz" as the people are clearly giving a fuck while trying to look as though they don't. The whole "tie pen!s" (longer tail than blade) or the tail coming in front of or beside the blade in the tie knot thing is another egregious example.

Although, having said that, if that's what floats your boat and if you enjoy deliberately looking dishevelled or mismatched, then that's fine.