• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Natural Clark Streets on this casual Friday. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Hopefully on Monday I will NOT be posting pictures of a grain shoe/boot (1st Ave?) that I couldn't resist during the end of the RDA sale...

tkebh979

Reaction score
Warwick Wednesday

Sorry, it's raining and these have a rubber sole unlike my walnut shoes

Thanks for the tip - kopped from the bank. My untrained eye found no real issues under a fine layer of what I assume was dust. Worth two pennies for each one I spent on them.

suuteebird

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm batting .500 from Shoebank.

I received a beautiful pair of oxblood Strands from one store with a barely noticeable minor defect (which is to be expected since they are 2nds). Great shoes - very happy.

Unfortunately, I am returning a pair of Dundee 2.0 Brown Grain which I received from a different store as they arrived with multiple, what I would consider obvious defects. The SA had told me over the phone that he could notice nothing wrong with the shoes and would give them a 9.5 out of 10 only because there must be some defect, but he couldn't tell what it was. First, there was a major flaw in the side of one boot that looked like someone had tried to cover with some extra polish. Then there was some reddish discoloration on the tongue just below the lace holes. One boot had significant striping issues on one toe, and the other boot had a smooth toe as opposed to the other boot's raised grain. I'm not sure what the SA was looking at. Super disappointed.

I'm a little gun shy about trying to purchase any more 2nds unless I find them at the same location that I found the Strands. I am comfortable with that SA. Otherwise, I'm back to 1sts exclusively. Your experience may vary.

rangen930

Reaction score
anyone have a picture of chili yorktowns in natural light. The AE sight pictures are less than helpful and not many show up on google.

tyort1

Reaction score
Good call on the brief case. I think I will pick it up.

I tried both the snuff and chocolate suede. I think I actually liked the chocolate suede better because of the contrasting edge dressing. However, I bought the snuff, because I am picking up the either a chocolate dalton or brown first ave. Plus I might get adventurous and change the color of the edge dressing. can't go wrong with either colors.

Agreed, and I think the Snuff pops just a little more with medium colored jeans and lighter chinos. The bitter chocolate really only works with dark jeans or dark pants generally.

AlphaDad

Reaction score
So I receive my exchanged Bourbon Moras, which look gorgeous after my initial polishing, despite a little uneven burnishing. I tighten them up, walk around the house in admiration. Then as I take them off to get ready for work the buckle snaps off with the leather strap.

Upon closer review where the strap connected, it appeared perferrated :(. Anyhow AE will b taking care of this order. Haha.

Last edited:

YoungSweet

Reaction score
So I'm batting .500 from Shoebank.

I received a beautiful pair of oxblood Strands from one store with a barely noticeable minor defect (which is to be expected since they are 2nds). Great shoes - very happy.

Unfortunately, I am returning a pair of Dundee 2.0 Brown Grain which I received from a different store as they arrived with multiple, what I would consider obvious defects. The SA had told me over the phone that he could notice nothing wrong with the shoes and would give them a 9.5 out of 10 only because there must be some defect, but he couldn't tell what it was. First, there was a major flaw in the side of one boot that looked like someone had tried to cover with some extra polish. Then there was some reddish discoloration on the tongue just below the lace holes. One boot had significant striping issues on one toe, and the other boot had a smooth toe as opposed to the other boot's raised grain. I'm not sure what the SA was looking at. Super disappointed.

I'm a little gun shy about trying to purchase any more 2nds unless I find them at the same location that I found the Strands. I am comfortable with that SA. Otherwise, I'm back to 1sts exclusively. Your experience may vary.
From what you described, the defects fit the description for seconds. If your expectation for seconds is closer to perfect then i don't think you will be happy buying seconds.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Aberdeens I got were possibly firsts (I can't find any issues, and aren't marked with the 2nds shoe anywhere). I guess it is fairly dependent on the SA. I'm sure it is tiring to get a bunch of calls every day with pretty much the same question, but that's the job.

While the RDA sale is in effect, the price difference makes 2nds a tougher value prop - the uncertainty, the defects themselves and the fact that 2nds don't come with bags isn't worth the $40-$50 difference to me much of the time...

When RDA isn't running, 2nds become a much stronger deal...

ironfist1906

Reaction score
Want to get an opinion on a recent purchase. While I've purchased from the shoe bank before, this is my first pair in cordovan leather. Although I wanted the dudee in shell, I've yet to see a pair in my size and the firsts aren't apart of the RDA sale.

My main concerns are:

1. the scratches on the toe and instep. Are they bad enough for a return or can I rectify in some way.

2. The difference is color

3. The fact that the leather seems to have degraded in the crease. Will the degrade further? Any ideas on how to repair? Refinish maybe?

Any opinions/ suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Agreed, as applied to current models. But the $157/$127/$97 to which some discontinued styles are discounted is incredible. Some styles are discontinued for good reasons, but the Amoks, Bleecker Streets, McGraws, Patriots, merlot Park Avenues and Graysons, chili Daltons, snuff suede Strands, etc. are worth a trip to the shoebank, even when the sale is running.

The Aberdeens I got were possibly firsts (I can't find any issues, and aren't marked with the 2nds shoe anywhere).  I guess it is fairly dependent on the SA.  I'm sure it is tiring to get a bunch of calls every day with pretty much the same question, but that's the job.

While the RDA sale is in effect, the price difference makes 2nds a tougher value prop - the uncertainty, the defects themselves and the fact that 2nds don't come with bags isn't worth the $40-$50 difference to me much of the time... 

When RDA isn't running, 2nds become a much stronger deal...

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If anyone is interested in seconds, I can get any current issue shoe (Dalton, Strand, First Avenue, University, etc. etc.) for $199 as long as it is located at the Leeds, AL, store. This does NOT include shell cordovan. Let me know if you want something.

Thanks.
I just looked at all the shoes I might be even remotely interested in -- and there wasn't a single one in Leeds.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Want to get an opinion on a recent purchase. While I've purchased from the shoe bank before, this is my first pair in cordovan leather. Although I wanted the dudee in shell, I've yet to see a pair in my size and the firsts aren't apart of the RDA sale.

My main concerns are:

1. the scratches on the toe and instep. Are they bad enough for a return or can I rectify in some way.

3. The fact that the leather seems to have degraded in the crease. Will the degrade further? Any ideas on how to repair? Refinish maybe?

Any opinions/ suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

You can try to apply some cordovan cream or conditioner and buff them away
Normal. Nature of the shell
I Think the crease area looks dry. See 1.

Good luck

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, as applied to current models. But the $157/$127/$97 to which some discontinued styles are discounted is incredible. Some styles are discontinued for good reasons, but the Amoks, Bleecker Streets, McGraws, Patriots, merlot Park Avenues and Graysons, chili Daltons, snuff suede Strands, etc. are worth a trip to the shoebank, even when the sale is running.
Are there any stores with leftover stock of Amoks? That's what I need in my life..

Last edited:

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
I just looked at all the shoes I might be even remotely interested in -- and there wasn't a single one in Leeds.

Oh well... The Leeds store will be closing in less than two weeks. They have been shipping some of their inventory to other stores. I guess a deal is only a deal if they have the inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members