• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeselcyde

Reaction score
The further most crease digs into the bottom of my big toe nail. I called my local Nordstrom's and they have a 10 in stock right now so I'm going to go in after work and try those on. These 10.5s feel like they've definitely stretched out quite a bit, so maybe I can hope for the same with the 10's.
I exchanged the 10.5's for 10's and they are a bit more snug but not as snug as I thought back when I originally purchased the shoes. I believe they only had 2 pairs of 10's in the store. I ditched one of the pairs due to wrinkling leather by the outside of the lacing. He brought the next pair out and on the bottom it seems the groove on where the stitching goes is not as deep as any of the other shoes I've seen. The stitching is pretty much flush with the sole (he assured me it wasn't a big deal). There is also a tiny black spot (not that big of a deal) between the lacing and the toe. Back to the stitching, I know AE uses a lock-stitch (I think that's the name of it) so it is very durable, I just don't want any problems.

and

horsey shoes

Reaction score
Whats the verdict on sizing for these boots? Did you stick with the same as other 5 last shoes?

thanks

I have worn the shell fifth streets for about 8 months now and they are pretty comparable to my other 5 last shoes; Strands, etc.

I took up Paul on his special make up offer and am getting another pair of shell fifth streets, but I am going with 8EE rather than 8E.
When I spoke to the MTO SWAT I told them I was probably a little full for an 8E but would be swimming in an 8EEE. They said that although they do not offer it on the website, they had an 8EE last they could make the MTO from. After them sending a special 8EE makeup of a Cambridge, I ordered the new fifths in 8EE. They should land late in July... will post pics when they get here.

hollyb

Reaction score

Any have sizing advice on the Player's Shoe? I take a 9.5D in the Strand. How do the lasts compare?

And can I expect walnut to darken over time to at least a medium brown color?

I have the Player's in suede and a few last #5 shoes. For me, I am able to wear the same size 9D on both lasts.

hollyb

Reaction score

Anyone have insight on the return policies for the seconds that ship to Canada, didn't get my shoes yet but I'm a little worried about the fit.  I tried ordered the Kenilworth in 7.5D after trying on some flatiron 7.5d that fit perfectly (8 were too big).  I then realized that the last wasn't the same so I dug deeper and finally found a store that had some Kenilworth in Montreal, the 8D, when tied extremely tight seemed to fit OK (i.e. the heel barely lifted).

Having said that, I'm hoping for the best, hoping that the 7.5D will fit but I just want to make sure I have the proper tools to deal with the return if it comes to that.  Any insight is welcome.

I've only returned a pair of 2nds once and I had to pay for the shipment back to Port Washington. For 1st quality, so far they've covered the return shipment. Hope this helps.

guasc1

Reaction score

I've only returned a pair of 2nds once and I had to pay for the shipment back to Port Washington. For 1st quality, so far they've covered the return shipment. Hope this helps.

I've only returned seconds twice from Canada and never paid a penny.
Asked for and received a FedEx return label.
That's all.

Suit Up

Reaction score
I've only returned seconds twice from Canada and never paid a penny.
Asked for and received a FedEx return label.
That's all.
Thanks alot for the insight, still hoping they will fit, would make it all easier! Been two weeks already, I'd hope they at least notify me when they ship and send me a tracking number...

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I exchanged the 10.5's for 10's and they are a bit more snug but not as snug as I thought back when I originally purchased the shoes. I believe they only had 2 pairs of 10's in the store. I ditched one of the pairs due to wrinkling leather by the outside of the lacing. He brought the next pair out and on the bottom it seems the groove on where the stitching goes is not as deep as any of the other shoes I've seen. The stitching is pretty much flush with the sole (he assured me it wasn't a big deal). There is also a tiny black spot (not that big of a deal) between the lacing and the toe. Back to the stitching, I know AE uses a lock-stitch (I think that's the name of it) so it is very durable, I just don't want any problems.

and

I wouldn't worry about the stitching. All Goodyear-welted soles are lock-stitched, and some don't even use a groove or trench to protect the stitching at all. Allen Edmonds didn't use a groove to protect the stitching until recent years. The stitching was just flush or on top of the leather sole.

OptoDoc

Reaction score

Oh come on . . . Some of you are showing your old age.  [ wink ]

Maybe the picture depicts someone who is younger, more fit, more in tune with his style . . . than some of us "old folks". 

I'm 30 years old. Just because you're young doesn't mean you have to be at the whim of every new trend you see in a magazine or online photo.

jonnyboy88

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of Walnut Strands over the phone during AE's tent sale. They fit and look fine, other than some striping on one of the cap toes. Should I just return them, or is this something that could be polished out? If so any recommendations on what I should use?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ordered a pair of Walnut Strands over the phone during AE's tent sale. They fit and look fine, other than some striping on one of the cap toes. Should I just return them, or is this something that could be polished out? If so any recommendations on what I should use?
I like it. Looks like marbling.

ronnythebest

Reaction score
Is it too much and I should return them? 2nds. They were never really worn and already look like that

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it too much and I should return them? 2nds. They were never really worn and already look like that

Looks pretty good for 2nds. They're bound to develop creases with use.

tampatravel

Reaction score
I would keep them. They'll get more creases than that the first day you wear them. We the heck out of them! They look great.

Spex

Reaction score

Anyone have insight on the return policies for the seconds that ship to Canada, didn't get my shoes yet but I'm a little worried about the fit.  I tried ordered the Kenilworth in 7.5D after trying on some flatiron 7.5d that fit perfectly (8 were too big).  I then realized that the last wasn't the same so I dug deeper and finally found a store that had some Kenilworth in Montreal, the 8D, when tied extremely tight seemed to fit OK (i.e. the heel barely lifted).

Having said that, I'm hoping for the best, hoping that the 7.5D will fit but I just want to make sure I have the proper tools to deal with the return if it comes to that.  Any insight is welcome.

I have a 5-last boot in 10.5D and tried the Kenilworth on. 10.5D fit the best for the Kenilworth (didn't like the look so didn't buy them). I have the Parkway (same last as the Flatiron) in 10.5 and they fit great. Hopefully keeping to the same size will work for you as well.

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

I have them and they are my favorite shoes to wear with jeans

Have any pics in real life you could share?

I have the black McTavish which I wear with jeans and love. Curious as to how these distressed leather ones look versus the cognac McTavish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads