• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got the brown Hamptons in today. These shoes are stunning. I don't know why they didn't get more run. Maybe it's just a style you either love or hate.
This tag is sewn inside one of the shoes. Was this done for all shoes made this year?

My Flatirons I just got do not have that tag.

Chris

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

Just got the brown Hamptons in today. These shoes are stunning. I don't know why they didn't get more run. Maybe it's just a style you either love or hate.

This tag is sewn inside one of the shoes. Was this done for all shoes made this year?

I think this tag is only found on a few 90th anniversary styles, which are, as far as I know, Hamptons, Broadstreet, and Jodox (which has not appeared on the website yet). I just got the brown Hamptons as well and am very pleased with it. The 90th anniversary tag is a nice little touch.

SidewinderX

Reaction score
My first pair of AE shoes just showed up, walnut Strands!

I was taking a closer look at them and noticed a few odd marks and finishes here and there. These are my first pair of shoes "above" something like Cole Haans, these are my first pair with interesting detail work on them, and these are my first pair in a lighter brown/tan. So I'm not sure if the things I noticed are actually quality issues, or if these are just the sort of things I should expect with these types of shoes. I'd appreciate it if some of the more experienced members would take a look at the photos and let me know what you think!

1) The broguing right below the laces on one shoe seems a bit stretched and uneven, and the split is visible through it. (images hidden in spoiler tags)

2) There are two darker spots on of the shoes that are also little bumps in the leather. They are fairly visible in the right light.

3) The fringe on part of one shoe is bend up and a little ratty looking...

4) There's a pretty noticeable discoloration right on one of the top caps..

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice about this -- Thanks!

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
I have bought Jeffersons, McAllisters, Williams, Daltons, Patriots, Neumoks and Strands all this year, and none of them have this tag.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score

I was taking a closer look at them and noticed a few odd marks and finishes here and there. These are my first pair of shoes "above" something like Cole Haans, these are my first pair with interesting detail work on them, and these are my first pair in a lighter brown/tan. So I'm not sure if the things I noticed are actually quality issues, or if these are just the sort of things I should expect with these types of shoes. I'd appreciate it if some of the more experienced members would take a look at the photos and let me know what you think!

1) The broguing right below the laces on one shoe seems a bit stretched and uneven, and the split is visible through it. (images hidden in spoiler tags)

2) There are two darker spots on of the shoes that are also little bumps in the leather. They are fairly visible in the right light.

I'd return these to the store or send them back to AE. One minor flaw I could live with, even though it would bug me each time I saw it. But all of these... that is just to much. AE will make it right for you, I am sure of it. You will be glad you sent them back.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of walnut Strands and my pair do not have any of the above issues. I don't know that any of the above issues individually are that terrible (knowing what we do about AE quality control) but when you put all of them together in one pair, I think they are not acceptable, especially since they are your first pair. I would send them back for an exchange.

horsey shoes

Reaction score
Agreed as well that the tag was only for specific throwback styles... both Broadstreets I purchased this year had the same tag, the other models I purchased new did not.

bobohobo

Reaction score
An 8.5D fits me in terms of length (but pretty tight if I try to do closed lacing) but a 9D fits me better in terms of width but I have about 1.5 inches of toe space. Which size should I go for?

Olifter

Reaction score

My first pair of AE shoes just showed up, walnut Strands! I was taking a closer look at them and noticed a few odd marks and finishes here and there. These are my first pair of shoes "above" something like Cole Haans, these are my first pair with interesting detail work on them, and these are my first pair in a lighter brown/tan. So I'm not sure if the things I noticed are actually quality issues, or if these are just the sort of things I should expect with these types of shoes. I'd appreciate it if some of the more experienced members would take a look at the photos and let me know what you think! 1) The broguing right below the laces on one shoe seems a bit stretched and uneven, and the split is visible through it. (images hidden in spoiler tags)
My Strands have none of those issues. I think those would be acceptable, as seconds.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
I swung by the local AE store tonight, and, while ordering another pair of shoes, I asked if it would be possible to get bourbon McAllisters. Well, in case anyone is wondering, she said it looks like they'll be available in a little over a month (end of January or beginning of February). Now, that's just based off their computerized inventory/ordering system, but it makes sense, and I'm looking forward to that option. I considered placing an order right there, but I think I'll wait until I see them in person.

SidewinderX

Reaction score
My Strands have none of those issues. I think those would be acceptable, as seconds.

Well, unfortunately I didn't pay seconds prices, lol. The sales guy who helped me in the store just sent me an e-mail to make sure they got delivered, so I'll start talking with him and see about exchanging them.

Thanks guys!

StarterStyle

Reaction score
Is anyone else in love with the old Allen Edmonds Windsor monk strap boot? I wish they'd bring it back.

AE has no strap boot offerings, and there are no currently produced boots of this style in the AE price range.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is anyone else in love with the old Allen Edmonds Windsor monk strap boot? I wish they'd bring it back.
AE has no strap boot offerings, and there are no currently produced boots of this style in the AE price range.

I have an Alden black shell boot very similar to this one.

Currently Alden sells a boot like the one in the picture - The George Boot - and it is offered in black shell and color 8. But it does run $625-ish ...........

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I much prefer the look of the Kenilworth. I think the double sole of the Leeds just makes it look too bulky. Then again, it's not how tall it is that bothers me but rather how wide it is. What's the terminology for these different sole "profiles"?

Incidentally, I also much prefer the distinct pieces of leather between the quarters and the vamp of the Kenilworth. If there's any nomenclature describing that difference, I'd love to know it too.

Both shoes are considered PTBs, but that's where the similarities end. While the kenilworth is sleeker (5 last) than the leeds (1 last), the leeds is a much more substantial shoe, not to mention the shell v. calf difference. The leeds is also much easier, IMO, to wear casually. I have the leeds in burgundy shell, dark brown shell, and black shell. I used to have the kenilworth in dark brown calf. I sold it after a few wears. Just too skinny and "wimpy" for a PTB - at least for my personal style. And I even like the 5 last!!

But I do acknowledge that many like the kenilworth. I have no issue with that.

Shell Leeds are 595; calf kenilworths are 295. So this is quite a difference too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads