• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

evolved

Reaction score
Anyone have any convincing reason why I should go with the walnut Dalton over the dark chocolate calf Dalton (or vice versa)? I love both of them but can't decide on which one to go with. It'll be worn primarily with jeans or khaki's but will see the office for business casual days, too.

Pics for reference:

Edit: I've already got a pair of walnut Strands and a pair of the brown chromexcel Bayfields.....so both dark brown and light brown are already represented in my closet.

Last edited:

mikelon

Reaction score
Anyone have any convincing reason why I should go with the walnut Dalton over the dark chocolate calf Dalton (or vice versa)? I love both of them but can't decide on which one to go with. It'll be worn primarily with jeans or khaki's but will see the office for business casual days, too.

Pics for reference:

Edit: I've already got a pair of walnut Strands and a pair of the brown chromexcel Bayfields.....so both dark brown and light brown are already represented in my closet.

IMO the Dark chocolate looks much more versitale. You could pull jeans off with them, or as the picture shows, slacks.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score

Pics for reference:

I have the walnut calf and LOVE them. That said, I will buy the brown ones as well, eventually. They'r every different but both very beautiful, IMHO.

NefariousSabatour

Reaction score
I have them both and love them. The walnut looks better with denim though. Actually, I'm wearing them today:

StruckDumb

Reaction score
I also have the walnut and really enjoy them. I think they are very versatile and look great as they get broken in.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoot, I thought I would like the Harrison, but not so much.  Why does AE insist on putting the cap toe line so close to the end of the toe?  Why does AE discontinue sleeker captoes like the Soho?  :fu:

I have asked myself the same question. :brick:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have asked myself the same question. :brick:

I asked my SA to order it in, so I will reserve my opinions till then. Although, if the Rutledge is an indicator of where the cap will sit, I agree, too short. Interestingly, on the Rutledge I tried, the creasing looked like it would form on the edge of the cap toe. If it was any higher on the upper, the creasing would cut straight through the cap toe completely.

Maybe the new 333 last is just not for me, and I should just get the Peal & Co perf. cap toe...

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked my SA to order it in, so I will reserve my opinions till then. Although, if the Rutledge is an indicator of where the cap will sit, I agree, too short. Interestingly, on the Rutledge I tried, the creasing looked like it would form on the edge of the cap toe. If it was any higher on the upper, the creasing would cut straight through the cap toe completely.
Maybe the new 333 last is just not for me, and I should just get the Peal & Co perf. cap toe...

Pure speculation, but I think this is why AE has the cap toe line so close to the toe. The Soho and sleeker models with a well placed line only have five eyelets. The Park Avenue and the Harrison both have six, which (I suspect) AE does to get a more comfortable fit for its customers. I have a feeling that one consequence of the six eyelet shoe is that the area where the cap toe line should be is dangerously close to where the shoe is likely to crease, which is why AE moves it closer to the toe. Pure speculation.

By the way, the Peal perf cap toe has 5 eyelets and is absolutely beautiful. I had to return my 12D because it was too narrow and am waiting on an 11.5E to come into stock. Waiting. . . . still waiting. . .

StruckDumb

Reaction score

Pics for reference:

@ evolved, where did this picture of the walnut daltons come from? I'm not entirely sure what is grabbing my attention so much, but they look excellently worn in here.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at the Harrison pics in brown, on the AE website, they look just aweful. They could not have picked a more mangled pair of AE's take pics of, they look like third quality shoes... :fu:

wgiceman

Reaction score

Pure speculation, but I think this is why AE has the cap toe line so close to the toe.  The Soho and sleeker models with a well placed line only have five eyelets.  The Park Avenue and the Harrison both have six, which (I suspect) AE does to get a more comfortable fit for its customers.  I have a feeling that one consequence of the six eyelet shoe is that the area where the cap toe line should be is dangerously close to where the shoe is likely to crease, which is why AE moves it closer to the toe.  Pure speculation.

By the way, the Peal perf cap toe has 5 eyelets and is absolutely beautiful.  I had to return my 12D because it was too narrow and am waiting on an 11.5E to come into stock.  Waiting. . . . still waiting. . .

I did have the Soho and the Evanston and they are both great looking shoes. However, due to the cap toe line being farther back, the natural crease of the shoe was on the cap toe itself. It really did not bother me too much. I loved the shoes, but the last shape caused them to pinch my pinky toe. I understand that the 333 last is similar to the 00 last which the Soho and Evanston were on, but there is slightly more room in the toe area. I will have to try on a pair to see if that is correct.

evolved

Reaction score

DJTraveler

Reaction score
Just stopped into my local AE store in Chicago. They already have a lot of the new styles in stock. I tried on the grey Black Hills, grey Aberdeen, dark brown Aberdeen, and the black Harrison. Really liked the grey Black Hills and dark brown Aberdeen - both were super comfortable and sharp looking. Instead of a cork insole, they have more of a thin foam padded insole. I felt both shoes ran true to my usual AE size of 9D.

Similar to the other 333 last shoes, the Harrison runs about 1/2 size too big. I usually wear a 9D but had to go down to an 8.5D. It's a sharp looking shoe, but I still think the cap toe is too far forward on the shoe. I felt it looked a bit awkward.

I'm very much looking forward to the other new Fall styles coming out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads