• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Depends in your taste in style and the type of clothes you wear. If you could coordinate based on the color of your suit, shoes, or if your suit is neutral and you are in a dress casual setting...your tie. I have a beige suit...pretty neutral...so I often color match the socks to my tie. I like purple undershirts and ties..so I have a few pairs of purple socks. Just don't wear socks that look stupid...socks are probably the least important article of clothing outside of underwear.

bucksfan

Reaction score
My Bayfields came in yesterday from the Shoebank. I was expecting some moderate, noticeable defects since they are classified as "seconds", but it's hardly noticeable. The left boot looks to be perfect, and the right one has subtle issues.....the cap toe is ever so slightly off center, the eyelets are just a little bit off in their alignment, and the area on the shaft of the boot is hardly noticeable, it's basically just an indent in the leather. Overall, I think they were a steal for $160.

Any suggestions on caring for chromexcel?

Brushing. When product is needed, stick with leather lotions and moisturizers. Very little product should be needed.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Just got my shell cordovan Cambridges in... Thought I'd take some side-by-side pics in comparison to the McAllisters:
I'm comparing an 8.5D Cambridge (one with the shoe-tree) to the 8D McAllisters:

The McAllisters in 8D are for sale as well. $220 shipped CONUS.

Very nice - congrats! I like the new stamping that AE is putting on the sole of their shell shoes.

Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Bayfields came in yesterday from the Shoebank.  I was expecting some moderate, noticeable defects since they are classified as "seconds", but it's hardly noticeable. The left boot looks to be perfect, and the right one has subtle issues.....the cap toe is ever so slightly off center, the eyelets are just a little bit off in their alignment, and the area on the shaft of the boot is hardly noticeable, it's basically just an indent in the leather. Overall, I think they were a steal for $160.
Any suggestions on caring for chromexcel?

Brushing.  When product is needed, stick with leather lotions and moisturizers.  Very little product should be needed.  

Same advice here. The only product I've heard to try is Venetian Shoe cream, very sparingly. Chromexel has a lot of oil in it, so it doesn't need nor take well to polishes or creams.

evolved

Reaction score
Same advice here. The only product I've heard to try is Venetian Shoe cream, very sparingly. Chromexel has a lot of oil in it, so it doesn't need nor take well to polishes or creams.

AE sent me some of their aqua care shoe cream.....should I use something like that, or their regular leather lotion? What about Saphir's Reno?

Sorry for all of the questions.....this is my first experience with chromexcel

Edit: These will be primarily worn in the fall/winter/early spring, so they will likely see some rain/snow.....I say this because some level of water/weather proofing would be ideal. I don't expect them to be waterproof, but I would like them to repel the elements, somewhat.

Last edited:

acousticfoodie

Reaction score
Anyone know what model these AEs are? No picture or mention on the net.

9107 Immingham Brown Calf Brown
9107 Immingham Tan Calf Tan
9107 Immingham Chocolate Suede Chocolate

konoyaro

Reaction score
Thinking about picking up a pair of Stewarts while they are on sale. I have a good idea what size I take in the Leeds which are on the same last, but I wonder if I should be sizing down for the Stewart since it's part of the Rough Collection. Has anyone tried both the Stewart and the Leeds who can comment on sizing consistency?

Thanks!

tsekh

Reaction score

These will be primarily worn in the fall/winter/early spring, so they will likely see some rain/snow.....I say this because some level of water/weather proofing would be ideal.  I don't expect them to be waterproof, but I would like them to repel the elements, somewhat.

Obenauf 's heavy duty LP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads