• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthNarc

Reaction score

I like your choice of shoes. I also prefer the elongated last of AE. It's just too bad I don't wear suits for work, which seem to go better with the elongated, european style.

Thank you sir! I actually wear the same shoes with sleeker dark jeans and the elongated shape seems to work pretty well. At least....I think they do!

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing my chili Fairfaxes today. Probably my favorite AE shoe I own, actually, although I don't wear them terribly often.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes it is. Mine were finished very poorly and I had the local cobbler dye them a solid darker color. More panels were dyed darker than what the AE website picture shows too. In hindsight I should have sent them back in the beginning and tried another pair. I do like the solid color better, although my LL Bean bison are also a similar two tone which Obenauf's leather oil helps tame down somewhat. And waterproofs bison leather very well-

Bean handsewn bison boot:

I called AE to cancel my order, but they assured me that they were not two tone. I hope they are shipping me a new version and not a two tone boot.

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just received a pair of Allen Edmonds Cliftons that I ordered off of Ebay. They're both size 10.5 D, but the two shoes appear to be slightly different. The inner sole of the left shoe is black, while the inner sole of the right shoe is cream colored. The heel of the right shoe is slightly smaller than the left, and the right shoe appears to be slightly more narrow. I'm not sure if the seller purchased each shoe individually. Does this seem typical/atypical for AE--have they changed their sizing over the years?

As of now, the fit on my right foot is slightly tigher. Will this likely even out over time? Any special tips on breaking these in so that the fit isn't irregular?

Thanks,
David
Does anyone else agree that David seems to have been sold shoes manufactured at distinctly different times? IIRC, over the past 10 years, AE has gone from yellow-biased tan insoles to black to brown/red-biased tan insoles. AE CEO posted about this.
Wonder if the shift to Nordstrom exclusive paralleled any changes in manufacturing...

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just received a pair of Allen Edmonds Cliftons that I ordered off of Ebay.  They're both size 10.5 D, but the two shoes appear to be slightly different.  The inner sole of the left shoe is black, while the inner sole of the right shoe is cream colored.  The heel of the right shoe is slightly smaller than the left, and the right shoe appears to be slightly more narrow. I'm not sure if the seller purchased each shoe individually.  Does this seem typical/atypical for AE--have they changed their sizing over the years?

As of now, the fit on my right foot is slightly tigher.  Will this likely even out over time?  Any special tips on breaking these in so that the fit isn't irregular?

Thanks,
David

Does anyone else agree that David seems to have been sold shoes manufactured at distinctly different times? IIRC, over the past 10 years, AE has gone from yellow-biased tan insoles to black to brown/red-biased tan insoles. AE CEO posted about this.
Wonder if the shift to Nordstrom exclusive paralleled any changes in manufacturing...

I agree, it sounds these are from two different pairs, unless one has had an insole added? Do both sockliners say Allen Edmonds?

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I called AE to cancel my order, but they assured me that they were not two tone. I hope they are shipping me a new version and not a two tone boot.

I hope they work out for you, really wanted them to for me. If they are two tone at least AE has a VERY easy return policy and if you like them there is the solid Nordstrom version. Good luck.

I'll see how they fit me. Out of the ones on sale, I am only in the market for a mock toe or a longwing. Hopefully I won't have the same Bradley troubles, it would be interesting to see what all the cordovan extolling is all about
smile.gif

Longevity of shell compared to calf. Ease of maintenance is another, as mentioned brushing is addictive LOL. When I first get a shell shoe I spend at least an hour with the horse hair brush on them. SouthNarc mentioned using a nylon stocking for polishing and I also do that for calf. But I also use them for polishing shell after a quick brushing after wearing at the end of the day and before wear the next time. I insert my hand into the stocking and use the foot portion, in only a minute or 2 it generates enough heat to help with the glow that shell can provide. How you obtain the stocking is up to you...

Variations. Most shell is not uniform, and in my case at least I have been lucky with AE shell. That adds character to the shoe and is unmistakable as being a shell shoe with just a glance. With the Bradley I actually want a uniform color however and both pair so far have been. But even my shell Leeds have much darker uppers than the main body. My walnut shell boots have a LOT of black highlights in them. But the walnut shell Strands have dark and light pieces enough that it would be redundant for me to purchase the brown shell Strands. And the Cambridge are nothing short of stunning with the dark and light burgundy IMO. Hard decision between the Longwings or Bradley only you know which would fit your requirements the best.

Burgundy shell Bradley and Leeds:

Walnut Shell Dalton:

Walnut Shell Strands:

Burgundy shell Cambridge:

I do like the AE burgundy shell the most and will not purchase a shoe in merlot calf if I can get it in shell. But a comparison of walnut calf (McAllister) to the walnut shell:

gavrarabba

Reaction score
I'm wondering what everyone here thinks of the Strand in black. I searched this forum and it seems mostly people have the Strand in Walnut. I actually already wear the Sanford in Walnut, which I love, but I'm looking for a new black Oxford. The Strand looks a little more interesting to me than PA or FA. Wondering what the consensus is, thanks.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm wondering what everyone here thinks of the Strand in black.  I searched this forum and it seems mostly people have the Strand in Walnut.  I actually already wear the Sanford in Walnut, which I love, but I'm looking for a new black Oxford.  The Strand looks a little more interesting to me than PA or FA.  Wondering what the consensus is, thanks.  

If you are using the black oxford for formal dress I would say that the brogueing makes it less formal. Personally I would not wear black for anything other than formal dress.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what everyone here thinks of the Strand in black. I searched this forum and it seems mostly people have the Strand in Walnut. I actually already wear the Sanford in Walnut, which I love, but I'm looking for a new black Oxford. The Strand looks a little more interesting to me than PA or FA. Wondering what the consensus is, thanks.
Generally speaking, black is a formal color, but the Strand is an informal shoe due to all of the brogueing. Therefore, getting them in black means you have a shoe that is too casual to wear in very formal environments, and too "boring" for causal ones. By boring, I mean that, despite all of the nice detailing in the shoe, you can barely see it do to the color.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, black is a formal color, but the Strand is an informal shoe due to all of the brogueing. Therefore, getting them in black means you have a shoe that is too casual to wear in very formal environments, and too "boring" for causal ones. By boring, I mean that, despite all of the nice detailing in the shoe, you can barely see it do to the color.

+1. Too busy for your go to business shoe and too boring for a more casual shoe.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm wondering what everyone here thinks of the Strand in black.  I searched this forum and it seems mostly people have the Strand in Walnut.  I actually already wear the Sanford in Walnut, which I love, but I'm looking for a new black Oxford.  The Strand looks a little more interesting to me than PA or FA.  Wondering what the consensus is, thanks.  

I think black is more popular with our cousins across the pond. Here in SF-land, brown is more popular possibly due to the potential for patina. Personally, I do have more brown/tan/burgundy shoes vs. black; however, I do have a selection of black shoes that include a bal cap toe, cap toe chelsea boot, wholecut with medallion, DM, and hopefully soon I plan to add a bal Austerity wing tip. I also have a pair of shell LWB in black. I think black cap toes are standard but if you want to add more to your rotation, sure, why not a black Strand?

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think there does exist a much larger middle ground than most SFers would care to believe. I would absolutely use the black strands to fill my needs. I see patients every day (I'm a doc) and a typical day of dress for me include a **** and tie, gray/charcoal slacks, and either a pair of black PAs or black Delrays (+/- whitecoat). The black PAs seem a bit too formal with that get-up, and the Delrays I like just fine, but a pair of black Strands would fill that need perfectly as well.

If you only have two switches ("3 piece suit" and "weekend wear"), then maybe the black Strand isn't for you. But for any type of situation where you would want a black shoe but are not wearing a full-blown suit, I think the Strands work perfectly.

Just my two cents.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Short answer: If you are going to own one black shoe, I would not suggest the Strand. It would be a fine shoe, but I will default to the standard SF advice and advise a plain cap toe balmoral, such as the PA.

Long answer: However, I don't agree with others that a black Strand is somehow wrong. Suppose you need two black balmorals, which I'm sure many men do. If I needed another black balmoral (currently only have PA), I'd probably go with a perf cap (FA, Fifth Street), brogued cap toe (Strand), or a wingtip (McAllister, Cambridge, Jefferson). There are other options, but these are the styles I would consider. The perf cap would be too close to the PA for me, which would leave a brogued cap toe or wingtip.

I don't understand it when people claim that the Strand is a casual shoe. It is a cap toe balmoral, which in black is particularly formal. Sure, the brouging makes them slightly less formal than otherwise, but they are still more formal than a wingtip such as the McAllister, and certainly appropriate to wear with a conservative/formal suit. I'd personally prefer a brogued balmoral in brown or burgundy (making the shoe less formal and easier to dress down, if that's what you need), but outside of SF, and in very conservative work environments, black is very common if not required.

So I guess you have to ask yourself if you need the high formality of a plain cap toe -- great, but not necessarily required as some here will tell you, for weddings, funerals, interviews, and possibly work, depending on the environment -- or if you could get by with something slightly less formal, but more interesting to you. I chose the PA because I don't wear a suit every day, and also tend to prefer brown or burgundy. So, when I wear a suit, it is for formal events, which suggests a plain cap toe, hence my advice (PA if only one black shoe). You may disagree or lead a different life than mine, and if so, you could do much worse than a black Strand.

Last edited:

seven7seven

Reaction score
Will an 11E fit very similar to an 11.5D in the Park Avenue? The 11D I tried was too tight, the 11.5D fit pretty good, but the 11D was fine in length, so I am thinking about going for an 11E. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads