• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're near a Nordstrom Rack, they sell Woodlore trees for $12.90 a pair. Just picked up a couple pairs the other day.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you know if this is just in-store or online too? Any links?

I believe it will be online and in the stores. I was at the Dallas West Village store this weekend and they had a copy of the flyer coming out for the sale. That makes me think it will be in the stores. And the sales are always online.

Chris

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bucksfan

Reaction score
I think it's last-specific. I use the Epics in my loafers (Randolph, Grayson) and my boots (Alden Barrie and AE #1 boot last). I prefer the Allen Edmonds (Woodlore) solid-toe in my #5 last shoes, and I like AE (Woodlore) split toe in my 7-last laceups, such as the Macneil. I think I also use the EPICs in my Leeds PTB on the #1 last.

You need to look at how well it fills out the toe / vamp of the shoe, and also what it does to the heel shape.

I know it's a little convoluted, but that's my approach, after starting with AE solid-toes, moving to AE split toes, and about 4 months ago adding Epics.

It appears that the "Ultra" linked above is very similar to AE's split toe.

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also like the epic and have started switching to them. Yesterday cedarville had a 20% off sale but it was for Sunday only. The following codes still worked last week when I ordered 8 more epic's:

cvsclub55 - will take $5.00 off Epic Cedar Shoe Trees
cvsclub44 - will take $4.00 off Washburn Cedar Shoe trees
cvsclub22 - will take $2.00 off Classic...

Shipping is spendy if you order just one tree, but when you get half a dozen or so it works out to a lot less per tree.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score

I think it's last-specific.  I use the Epics in my loafers (Randolph, Grayson) and my boots (Alden Barrie and AE #1 boot last).  I prefer the Allen Edmonds (Woodlore) solid-toe in my #5 last shoes, and I like AE (Woodlore) split toe in my 7-last laceups, such as the Macneil.  I think I also use the EPICs in my Leeds PTB on the #1 last. 

You need to look at how well it fills out the toe / vamp of the shoe, and also what it does to the heel shape. 

I know it's a little convoluted, but that's my approach, after starting with AE solid-toes, moving to AE split toes, and about 4 months ago adding Epics. 

It appears that the "Ultra" linked above is very similar to AE's split toe.

I'm going to take your advice -- just ordered the Epic's for my Randolphs.

I needed another pair (failed to order a pair when i ordered my Neumoks) - so now I'll just use the ones I was using in my Randolph in the Neumok and put the new Epic into the Randolph. The AE "Full" Tree did not fit as nicely into my Randolphs. Maybe the Epic will be better!

I'll report back!

Last edited:

CJG_NYC

Reaction score

I also like the epic and have started switching to them. Yesterday cedarville had a 20% off sale but it was for Sunday only. The following codes still worked last week when I ordered 8 more epic's:

cvsclub55 - will take $5.00 off Epic Cedar Shoe Trees

cvsclub44 - will take $4.00 off Washburn Cedar Shoe trees

cvsclub22 - will take $2.00 off Classic...

Shipping is spendy if you order just one tree, but when you get half a dozen or so it works out to a lot less per tree.

FYI - the cvsclub55 code worked! Thanks!

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The epic is a great tree, but it runs a little wide. It's noticeably too wide for many of my D-width shoes, especially AEs on the #5 last.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score

The epic is a great tree, but it runs a little wide. It's noticeably too wide for many of my D-width shoes, especially AEs on the #5 last.

Hmm - guess we'll see what happens -- my randolphs are a 7.5D. Hope the epic isnt too wide for that. I read the size chart on Cedarville to read as follows:

XSmall: 6E to 7.5E to mean "6E and up in width and length up to 7.5E," thereby including 7.5D (you know, 6E, 6EE, 6EEE...etc all the way up to 7.5E)-- maybe I over thought that one....:embar:

Last edited:

konoyaro

Reaction score
Sierra Trading Post often has the Woodlore shoe trees for under $10. Just look for one of their many 40 - 45% off sales...

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Black Hills just arrived tonight. I have the UPS man trained, he saves me for last on his route so I am usually home to sign for deliveries
smile.gif
. It helps that he is a bowhunter and we can talk the same language. I down sized a half size per the reviews on the AE site and the fit is perfect. The distressing is very well done and fairly even in the application. Original plan was to saddle soap them then apply Obenauf's liquid conditioner to waterproof and slightly darken them. I did that to my tan AE boat shoes and they turned out well. Not sure that I will do that will the Black Hills after getting them and seeing it in person. For casual wear the AE Yuma in Bison leather were a big disappointment for me, these are the exact opposite. I was originally planning on using them with jeans and shooting sporting clays and skeet. However I now feel they also go well with Khakis and a sport shirt. A very nice job by AE, once again.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great discussion on the Woodlore Epic. I ordered a pair of these about 6 weeks ago from Woodlore, and they just shipped (back ordered). Was not aware of Cedarville; I'll check it out.

ejomby

Reaction score
Got my Cliftons today. Was worried that the 8 last would be too much like the 2. But, so far, so good. They're snug, but there's been no experience of crunching or slipping. And they're seconds, so they have a dime sized exception on the side on the uppers-- nothing else that I could notice. Gives it character. It seems like a good fit and a nice shoe. They aren't bothering me like the Players were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads