• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Tifosi. They actually turned out pretty great; in a sense, better than I had expected. There's a bit of a navy shade, but it probably depends on the angle that you look at them.

Those are AWESOME. Like tifosi said, I thought they were Navy at first glance. I'd love a pair in NAVY come to think of it.... I have to stop looking on here - ssssseriously.

AE does have some Navy calf, but not CXL. I got a sample of the dress calf, casual calf and suede in navy. All of them looked almost black, so I didn't bite for an MTO...yet.

850csi

Reaction score
Black CXL Leeds on the Dainite sole have arrived this morning--just in time for the wintry weather here in NJ (can't rotate the damn picture).

Those look pretty cool, and they've actually sort of reaffirmed my desire to get navy Neumoks, which I'm convinced can be worn to work in the proper setting.

Question: do you have a midsole between the dainite and the welt on that shoe?

tuckfro

Reaction score
Need a bit of help from the AE experts.

I'm ordering Kenilworths and Long Branches through my local men's store (30% off and shopping local!). My problem is that I can't seem to find a consistent size in AE. I measure a 10C. I own Amoks (9.5E - still snug in the footbox), Hillcrests (10D - a tad long and too much volume in entire shoe), and Regent Streets (10D - fit pretty well, could have sized down a half a size).

What size would be my best bet for each of these shoes?

tuckfro

Reaction score
There is no such thing. Your size will vary with each different last, possibly.
I know difference in last will, possibly, alter size. That's why I'm asking for advice. The three pair that I own are all on the 234 last. The Kenilworth and Longbranch are both on different lasts.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know difference in last will, possibly, alter size.  That's why I'm asking for advice.  The three pair that I own are all on the 234 last.  The Kenilworth and Longbranch are both on different lasts.

I have the fifth avenue which is on the same last as the kenilworth. I had to size down .5 in the kenilworth. I don't know why since it's on the same last but hey.

Last edited:

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
So I came home today to see a brown AE shipping box on my front porch. You can imagine my excitement since Allison told me my new Burgundy Shell Franciscans were shipping yesterday. Happy to see they made it in 1 day. Here is a quick pic right out of the box. I will clean them up and take some more later.
drool.gif
This emoticon does not do these shoes justice sir... ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!

cincikid

Reaction score
Those look pretty cool, and they've actually sort of reaffirmed my desire to get navy Neumoks, which I'm convinced can be worn to work in the proper setting.

Question: do you have a midsole between the dainite and the welt on that shoe?
Yep, I asked for a midsole b/w the welt and the Dainite.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is nothing dubious about AE shell, at least to me. I have shell from AE, Alden, and RL Marlow which are made by C&J. As tampatravel said AE can be more of a matte finish out of the box but with time and work they can and will look like the others. Some differences in colors between them but overall I consider them to be the same quality shell. Great choice on the Dundee's. I prefer them over the Alden 2 eye chukka on the Barrie last by far.
Interesting stuff and nice family pic! Are those all Dundee's? Is that the dark brown up front? How did you size - true to Brannock? Sorry for all the questions sir.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need a bit of help from the AE experts.

I'm ordering Kenilworths and Long Branches through my local men's store (30% off and shopping local!). My problem is that I can't seem to find a consistent size in AE. I measure a 10C. I own Amoks (9.5E - still snug in the footbox), Hillcrests (10D - a tad long and too much volume in entire shoe), and Regent Streets (10D - fit pretty well, could have sized down a half a size).

What size would be my best bet for each of these shoes?
My personal experience:

Brannock - 9D
5 last - 8.5E (9E likely works, too only because the ball of my foot is further up than most that measure a 9)
1-511 Dalton/Long Branch Last - 9D

For the most part the 1 and 7 lasts are the most true to size in my opinon and the 5 last runs up to half a size long and one width

850csi

Reaction score
Yep, I asked for a midsole b/w the welt and the Dainite.

Sweet; that's what I did for my EC MTO. I was worried that a double sole [with one being Dainite, which is thicker than leather] would end up being too thick, but it looks just fine.

cincikid

Reaction score
Sweet; that's what I did for my EC MTO. I was worried that a double sole [with one being Dainite, which is thicker than leather] would end up being too thick, but it looks just fine.
I specifically asked Allison to check the height of the Dainite sole plus midsole and it ended up being roughly the same as the standard double sole.

ryansto

Reaction score
I know difference in last will, possibly, alter size. That's why I'm asking for advice. The three pair that I own are all on the 234 last. The Kenilworth and Longbranch are both on different lasts.
Your foot may measure a 10C on the Brannock, but the Brannock assumes that the widest part of your foot is at the ball of the foot. From the sounds of it, and without seeing your foot, you may have more width at the toes, which would throw your Brannock sizing off a bit.

I believe the 234 last runs a bit small in the toe box (I'm familiar with the fit of the Banchory). The 511 last on the Longbranch will be much roomier in the ball of the foot and toe box, while the 65 last on the Kenilworth will be slightly longer, and a bit roomier in the toe box.

GooseG

Reaction score

My personal experience:

Brannock - 9D
5 last - 8.5E (9E likely works, too only because the ball of my foot is further up than most that measure a 9)

1-511 Dalton/Long Branch Last - 9D

For the most part the 1 and 7 lasts are the most true to size in my opinon and the 5 last runs up to half a size long and one width

Great, I just jumped on here to ask that very question about the 5 Last!

I'm a 9D Brannock and take an 8.5D in Alden Barrie, so I was was thinking an 8.5E Park Avenue would be the right size. My foot isn't too odd, just with a slightly wide instep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads