• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Thanks....Ok last question haha

Did they fix the squeaking issue that I kept seeing all over the boards?

From what I have heard, they did. I have not put them on yet and haven't walked around in them a bit. But I heard that they fixed the issue, and since I had to wait for the shoes for about 10 weeks, I am pretty confident that the solution got applied to my shoes.

-Mike

OptoDoc

Reaction score
I talked with online chat about which size to get. We couldn't decide between 4 different size/width combinations. He urged me to order all 4 and return the other 3. I questioned if that was most efficient for them and he said "We want you to have the right fit." I'll be getting back to you on which one actually was right for me. I suspect it won't be TTS as yours were, according to the reviews.

First wearing, the heel is just a tad loose and the forefoot just a bit tight. I imagine it'll loosen up in the front once the lining has compressed a bit. I can't imagine going any longer or wider as my heel would most assuredly come out of the slipper when walking. Any shorter and my toes would be rubbing against the front of the slipper. So...while this size isn't "perfect", I think it's about as good as it'll get.

I look forward to your results, Kentyman. I ordered four pair of Vernon's from Amazon once so that I could find the right size.

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score
All this talk about single and double soles made me think of this question: Anyone gone from a single soled shoe to a double one on their first resole? Or vice versa? Results? Pros/cons.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
didnt realize snuff amoks were hard to come by.. grabbed a pair for $99 awhile back, yet to wear.. great shoe. good lines.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No clue why, but AE dropped them close to the end of August or early September.

-Mike

I keep saying this as well. I have a pair in tan suede and they are great. I am thinking about doing an MTO for a different pair but not sure yet

jch1

Reaction score
I keep saying this as well. I have a pair in tan suede and they are great. I am thinking about doing an MTO for a different pair but not sure yet
I wonder what a MTO amok would cost... If it were $99, that would be incredible.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anybody buy any boots seconds during the current sale? Daltons are $239. They were out of dark brown, so I went with bourbon.

I also recently had the sole of my Quentins start breaking apart after only 3 wears (Danite sole). I brought them in to the AE store in Rockefeller Center. Even though they were closeouts (possibly seconds), they sent them in for a recraft at no charge. I just got them back after only 2 weeks. Even though I am disappointed that the sole fell apart, I am impressed with the customer service.

jimanchower

Reaction score
I'm in my third attempt at blindly sizing AE Fifth Avenues and I'm still not sure that I've got it correct. Any advice would be appreciated.

10 E: Not wide enough and way too long
9.5 EEE: Plenty wide but still too long
9 EEE: Plenty wide but maybe still too long?

I've got about 3/4" of room from the top of my foot to the front of the shoe. It's a little more than a thumb's width. Too much? They're comfortable as hell, but I don't want to get nasty creases from being too long. I may try an 8.5 even though I've never worn smaller than a 10 in any shoe in my adult life.

Also, I feel like I could possibly go down to a EE width, especially if they'll stretch a bit. Again though, they feel great. Are there any disadvantages to having a shoe that's a little wider than necessary?

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got about 3/4" of room from the top of my foot to the front of the shoe. It's a little more than a thumb's width. Too much? They're comfortable as hell, but I don't want to get nasty creases from being too long.

I can't speak to width -- but when it comes to length, space between your toe and the front of your shoe is not the primary concern.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in my third attempt at blindly sizing AE Fifth Avenues and I'm still not sure that I've got it correct. Any advice would be appreciated.

10 E: Not wide enough and way too long
9.5 EEE: Plenty wide but still too long
9 EEE: Plenty wide but maybe still too long?

I've got about 3/4" of room from the top of my foot to the front of the shoe. It's a little more than a thumb's width. Too much? They're comfortable as hell, but I don't want to get nasty creases from being too long. I may try an 8.5 even though I've never worn smaller than a 10 in any shoe in my adult life.

Also, I feel like I could possibly go down to a EE width, especially if they'll stretch a bit. Again though, they feel great. Are there any disadvantages to having a shoe that's a little wider than necessary?

I wore size 10 and 10.5 for a long time in athletic shoes and cheaper dress shoes. I'm a 8.5E in the 5 last.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wore size 10  and 10.5 for a long time in athletic shoes and cheaper dress shoes. I'm a 8.5E in the 5 last. 

I had a similar experience. Used to wear a 13 in sneakers and rockport, wear a 10.5EEE in AE 5 last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads