1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member

^

Nice Mike, completely agree! Great shoe :nodding:

2. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Well-Known Member

That pic makes me smile haha. Lovely shoes Mike!

3. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

4. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Well-Known Member

How do you keep your natural welts clean? I'm considering McTavish in natural wax. I'm concerned that the welt will look filthy after a couple of wears.

5. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member

Thank you sazon :)

6. Mr G from SD

Mr G from SD Well-Known Member

Can someone advise whether these are shell cordovan or not? Forgive me, but I am a shell newb having never owned any. The leather feels different from my other Allen Edmonds, all of which as calf. Just want an expert opinion. Thank you in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Your photo seems to wash out all the key points I would look for so I can not tell...It almost looks like that cobbler leather AE did...I have zero skill in reading the code and have not seen that 11 after the 00605

8. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Well-Known Member

Now I feel inclined to pick up a pair of LWBs. Really nice collection. They seem to be very well cared for too.

9. Mr G from SD

Mr G from SD Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply. I have a few more photos if it helps. I am stumped. I am reading to look at the creases, but these look only worn a couple times so the creases are not very pronounced. Also, looking for a white layer of film, I can kind of see it in little spots, but still not quite sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  10. cats33cats

cats33cats Well-Known Member

What last is most comfortable for someone who needs extra width where the joint of the toe meet the foot? Tried on some Park Avenues and I think the last just doesn't work for my foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Is the sole a JR with dovetail?

12. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member

They don't look like Shell Cordovan, as they aren't shiny enough and don't have that sheen. I'm no expert but the creasing looks more consistent with calf as well. They almost look like the leather on the high-end Jefferson shoe that have been subjected to a bit of Saphir.

That's my not-expert opinion and could be wrong.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  13. Kahuna75

In this picture the shoe that is further away has two creases close to the shoe in the foreground and those little wrinkles lead me to believe that is not Cordovan...luckily in 12 hours you can call AE and get the for sure answer...keep us updated.

14. Kahuna75

On a totally different subject for you gents and I know this is the wrong thread...Anyone suggest some summer pants...I guess something linen...I generally wear dress shorts for about 5 months straight and while I have some pants that I can wear no problem in the summer was looking for some suggestions. I really want to wear my Walnut Boca Raton's and Strawfuts and a few other AE's more than a few times this summer,

I saw some linen style pants etc but I really do not know if they look nice or not..Would love to mix some color in too.

15. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Well-Known Member

5237 = Sanford in Merlot calf.

1 person likes this.
  16. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Well-Known Member

If this helps at all here are two pics of this exact shoe: the first is before ever wearing them outside the house, the second is just over a year later wearing them in an office environment about twice per week (tops - usually once per week). I do wear them from the parking garage to the actual office, however. I've worn them a few times in the rain but never in the snow. Immediately after receiving the shoes I sprayed them and continued to treat them with saddle soap and AE cleaner conditioner. I treated the edges with the natural/clear edge dressing. Because the edges got quite dirty I chose to sand them down with sandpaper to lighten them up. I know this will age the shoe dramatically but I'm not sure how else to clean them!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see in the photos the edges have darkened quite a bit - even after sanding them down. As well, the color of the leather has darkened quite a bit as well. I realize these shots were taken in two different rooms with different lighting conditions. However, they most certainly do look darker than when first purchased. I'm open to ideas as to how to keep the edges clean as well - I have a number of other new pairs of AE with natural edges.

17. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

A few suggestions.

See if you can find some Incotex on sale. They make some really nice cotton/linen blends and are SF approved. Expensive, though. Here are a bunch of Incotex on Yoox: http://www.yoox.com/us/men/shoponli...age=1&attributes={'ctgr':['pntln1']}&season=X

I know Polo makes linen pants. I got a pair of cotton/linen a few seasons ago on sale that are really awesome.

Then there Brooks Brothers. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/mens/...ult,sc.html?pmin=1&prefn1=fabric&prefv1=Linen

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of these three, and all would be safe and fashionable at the same time.

I do not wear linen often, but my personal preference is a cotton/linen blend, as 100% linen quickly looks like a mess. And for some reason I think dark colors look wrong in linen - but I'm not sure if that's a common opinion.

18. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Well-Known Member

For me the first photo of the shoe has a fantastic color.

19. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Bonobos. Tons of unique colors. I don't see their linen collection online yet, but they're starting to sell their summer weight chinos. They even have a line of Oxford cloth pants that are very light and breathable. Great for warm weather. Highly recommended!

http://www.bonobos.com/

1 person likes this.
  20. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

http://epauletnewyork.com/
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/111211/epaulet-shop-official-affiliate-thread
    Great MTO options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.