• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't wear black dress pants.

(FIRST!!)

Haha, I have two pairs of black dress pants that are in a rotation. I wear black shoes with khaki's and the like sometimes as well... but point taken.
Maybe I'll just fix the black chukka's I have where the sole is separating and call it a day for now.

Would you ever wear something like chocolate brown shoes with black pants? Or would cordovan be the only thing that isn't black that is versatile enough to be worn with black.

Subutai

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the Neomok compared to the McTavish? I'm looking for a new pair of casual shoes to add to my rotation. Do both shoes use the same leather and are the the same quality? The only thing I really noticed was the McTavish has a lined upper while the Neomok does not.

The Neumok is made of a very supple leather, or suede. It also is completely unconstructed, so it has a sleeker toe as there is nothing to hold the toe up.

Just to add a little more to this, although they're both on the 5-Last, the McTavish runs a little bigger; which brings us to leather. As wdahab mentioned, the Neumok uses a supple leather. The McTavish, however, uses cowhide (I think it's Horween's Dublin Leather) for a much rougher look. Finally, the Neumok comes with a single sole whereas the McTavish has a double.

In short, although they're both casual, they're very different shoes

Last edited:

Subutai

Reaction score
Rancourt hand dyes their Green, Navy and Espresso (from natural). They don't dye their #8, natural or black.

Interesting; I came across an interview on Reddit where Kyle Rancourt stated, "yes we can produce any of our styles in shell cordovan. In fact we buy mostly natural shell cordovan and then dye our own colors here."

I just assumed they dyed all. Thanks for the additional info. This being the case, I think I'm happy that both AE and Alden have additional processes to finish #8. I love the reddish tones, but prefer the darker finish

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score

Two news from Allison today: one bad and one good. As most folks on the market for an MTO already know, AE is officially out of cappuccino shell. While this certainly sucks, I am glad my cappuccino MacNeil is already in the works. The good thing is that I was informed AE should be able to attach a midsole between the welt and the Dainite sole on the brown shell Leeds MTO I want to make. I didn't want to sacrifice the look of the double sole on the Leeds and the chili midsole will add both the thickness and the contrast I want to achieve, I hope they are going to look very similar to the pair of Trickers below. 
I opted for the brass eyelets, split reverse wheeled welt, natural midsole and red lining.

Coincidentally, I googled this pair of Trickers after I chose the red lining, but it's nice to see how it's going to look in flash. My only concern is that the lining would partly cover the heal pad. I wonder if this might cause some discomfort, especially if the lining will begin to tear down the road?

I may have mentioned this a while back (3-4 months ago), but my first SF MTO was a Cappuccino Leeds w/ brass eyelets. These came in about a month ago, but due to taxes for shipping to me in VA, I had them shipped to my parents' hoiuse in MD. Finally got them yesterday.

Cappuccion Shell Cordovan
Brass Eyelets
Chilli Split Reverse Welt
Transparent Brown Edge Trim
Wheeling and Fudging
JR Double Leather Sole

Last edited:

bucksfan

Reaction score
I may have mentioned this a while back (3-4 months ago), but my first SF MTO was a Cappuccino Leeds w/ brass eyelets. These came in about a month ago, but due to taxes for shipping to me in VA, I had them shipped to my parents' hoiuse in MD. Finally got them yesterday.

Brass Eyelets
Wheeling and Fudging
JR Double Leather Sole

Stunning. I love the eyelets on Cappuccino - nicely done!

Fresh from their first day of service... Ready for some brushing.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Great looking cappuccino rolls. Takes me a few wears to get those sorts of rolls. Enjoy!

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brass Eyelets
Wheeling and Fudging
JR Double Leather Sole

Sweet. Are MTOs coming with that new style box?

Do they fit you alright? They look a bit too tight in the outside ball area.

Agree with this assessment.

cincikid

Reaction score

Brass Eyelets
Wheeling and Fudging
JR Double Leather Sole

They look awesome! Exactly what I wanted mine to look!

alvin545

Reaction score

Brass Eyelets
Wheeling and Fudging
JR Double Leather Sole

These are beautiful! I'm saving up for a pair of Leeds as well! Thinking black shell (will be my first) with brass eyelets!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha, I have two pairs of black dress pants that are in a rotation. I wear black shoes with khaki's and the like sometimes as well... but point taken.
Maybe I'll just fix the black chukka's I have where the sole is separating and call it a day for now.

Would you ever wear something like chocolate brown shoes with black pants? Or would cordovan be the only thing that isn't black that is versatile enough to be worn with black.

I guess it's decided then. I'll probably buy a pair of frye chelsea boots or whatever used on ebay with rubber soles for black boots. I feel like it's a bit of a waste to buy nice dress shoes in black (other than say cap toes) because you can't really see the detailing all that well. I'll save the dollaz for shoes that display the detailing better.

Is it redundant to have a walnut and chocolate pair of daltons or would I be better served with brown long branches? I can't tell any difference between the daltons and the branches other than the sole and eyelets. What am I missing?

Also, am I paranoid for no reason about wearing these through the boston winter? I have a pair of timberland work boots for the truly gross crap, but how much do I risk ruining these shoes if I wear them through some snow/slop/salt? I'll wipe them down post wear and try to treat them with the leather protector that was recommended here recently.

These are my first pair of good dress boots, so I'm hoping not to destroy them by misusing them.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it's decided then. I'll probably buy a pair of frye chelsea boots or whatever used on ebay with rubber soles for black boots. I feel like it's a bit of a waste to buy nice dress shoes in black (other than say cap toes) because you can't really see the detailing all that well. I'll save the dollaz for shoes that display the detailing better.

Is it redundant to have a walnut and chocolate pair of daltons or would I be better served with brown long branches? I can't tell any difference between the daltons and the branches other than the sole and eyelets. What am I missing?

Also, am I paranoid for no reason about wearing these through the boston winter? I have a pair of timberland work boots for the truly gross crap, but how much do I risk ruining these shoes if I wear them through some snow/slop/salt? I'll wipe them down post wear and try to treat them with the leather protector that was recommended here recently.

These are my first pair of good dress boots, so I'm hoping not to destroy them by misusing them.

The Daltons and the Long Branches use the same patterns and lasts, but after that they are really not comparable. The Dalton is dress calf, while the Long Branch is waxy cowhide, and it looks far more rugged. The Dalton has the traditional leather insole, while the Long Branch has the Poron insoles. Also, don't under estimate the difference caused by the soles. The Vibram sole on the Long Branch is quite a beast, and is very very casual compared to the leather soles on the Daltons.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
If you were to buy a pair of AE boots to wear with black dress pants, what would you buy? Hoping for something that's a little versatile.

(I have a pair of walnut daltons already)
black fifth streets would work... They can be dressed up or dressed down... but really black dress pants don't give you much in the way of choices.

somebody mentioned the promontory... that is not a dressy boot AT ALL, those are the football leather ones right? If you are wearing black dress pants, you are likely in a formal enough setting that football leather is completely inappropriate.

DNSamurai

Reaction score
Addressing a question brought up several pages ago....I asked an SA directly if they get commissions for sales, and the answer was yes. Just passing along.

tjyoung

Reaction score
What are the thoughts around here on the Flatiron and Larchmont? What about in the bourbon color? Positives? Negatives? Thoughts on the 3 last?

Thinking about picking up a pair of each in bourbon in the current sale, but I don't see much chatter about these shoes around these parts.

Larchmont:

Flatiron:

evolved

Reaction score

Brass Eyelets
Wheeling and Fudging
JR Double Leather Sole

What is fudging?

Beautiful shoe, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads