• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
What a lovely sight to behold...
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

More pics to come...

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've considered replacing my PAs a few times since they aren't the sleekest. Every time I think about it, I get nostalgic as they are my first pair of AEs and I like the idea of supporting American business with great customer service. I also don't wear a black captoe very often as I work in a "business casual" environment.

That being said, if my next pair of shoes aren't a pair of cordovan Strands, I might be looking at AS or C&J for a pair of brown captoes, just to mix up my rotation. Although I probably need to convince myself some moreto spend $600 on one pair of calfskins vs $600 on a pair of AE cordovans, or 2-3 pairs of AE calfs. There lies the dilemma....
I wish they'd bring back the Byron. Mine in brown get pulled out almost whenever I'm in a suit during the day (as rare as that is). It was a punched captoe on the 4 last, rather more chiseled and a bit sleeker than the PA; sounds like it might suit your needs.

Maybe see if it's available for StyleForvm MTO...?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's an urban legend that AE and Alden use inferior calf/shell on BB models as they use on the shoes under their own brand (and I believe there was an extensive discussion--and possible not just one--about this in AE and Alden threads). I personally can't think of any compelling reason for AE/Alden to do so.

I don't think there is any indication that the leather is inferior either. I can't count how many times I've examined the BB versions, and the leather quality has never struck me as being any different.

That said, don't automatically assume your last statement is true when you are considering shoes made for another company by a particular manufacturer. Unless the manufacturer has specific rules about not changing the quality of their product, then it is the retailer who determines what the final product looks like (for better or worse). Many retailers sell inferior products compared to what is typically made by the manufacturer as part of their standard line. Brooks Brothers does sell shoes that aren't necessarily at the same level as their manufacturer's standard product (Peal and Co. Shoes being one of them in my opinion). The Crockett and Jones shoes I've examined in person have some nicer finishing details than what I see in the Peal and Co. shoes that are made by C & J at Brooks Brothers. Of course, it can also go the other way... I think some retailers can have nicer products made by a manufacturer than what is typical for that manufacturer to make.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^Funny you should ask as I am an avid subscriber to your Black Captoe thread. From what you've reviewed, the shapes of C&J, Alfred Sargent and even Loake appeal to me. I'm afraid to try the higher end pairs (JL, G&G) as I'm quite hard on my leather shoes -- I live in a place where people walk a lot instead of drive.

Carmina has some great choices as well. I'm probably going to purchase a replacement for my Park Avenues on the Forest last this Fall. Simpson and Rain lasts are nice as well, but I don't like how overly elongated lasts look on my size 12D's.

spitshine123

Reaction score
Those look great! How do they size compared to the 565 last?

In my opinion (some may disagree), They run much narrower and a tad shorter than the 5 last. I am usually a 8.5E in the 5 last, and I fit a 9E in the RL bluchers (slaton and sandersons). I had tried the 8.5E and they were just way too tight on my slightly wide foot. 9Es fit a tad loose in the heel, but otherwise are perfect. There are others here who wear the same size as their 5 last size and are fine with it, their feet may be more forgiving than mine

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
In my opinion (some may disagree), They run much narrower and a tad shorter than the 5 last. I am usually a 8.5E in the 5 last, and I fit a 9E in the RL bluchers (slaton and sandersons). I had tried the 8.5E and they were just way too tight on my slightly wide foot. 9Es fit a tad loose in the heel, but otherwise are perfect. There are others here who wear the same size as their 5 last size and are fine with it, their feet may be more forgiving than mine

Thanks for the info, I appreciate your insight.

jasonmx3

Reaction score

Carmina has some great choices as well. I'm probably going to purchase a replacement for my Park Avenues on the Forest last this Fall. Simpson and Rain lasts are nice as well, but I don't like how overly elongated lasts look on my size 12D's.

That's another brand I've been hearing a lot of lately. I guess it's time I drop by that other shoe thread.

Having said that, I do agree with what NWTeal said, AE's customer service is legendary. And I doubt any other shoe company can provide the same after-sales service.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone speak as to the quality of these Peal & Co. chukka boots in comparison to the AE Amok? I was able to snag a pair for $112 on GILT.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-Co.®-Chukka-Field-Boots/614H,default,pd.html

I don't know about the quality of the suede, but it's probably fine. As for the shoe construction, however, I'd say they are quite inferior. I'd guess those are Stitch-Down constructed shoes (and then the rubber part of the sole is cemented onto the midsole):

I don't think they could possibly be Veldtschoen construction at that price, though some English makers do make shoes with that technique.

Last edited:

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Thanks for your insight, MWS. I figured I'd give them a shot, inspect them when they arrive and send them back if I'm not happy with them. I couldn't find a pair of Amok's my size in a color I wanted when they were on sale for $99.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads