• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jch1

Reaction score
You guys are certainly welcome. I'm definitely not taking anything personally- I just wanted to be sure that everybody was aware of some pretty good sales beginning in a few days!

PlaceboFX

Reaction score
I wouldn't take it personally. This thread can sometimes move so quickly and change subject even faster that posts just get buried.
+1

I didn't check this thread for a couple days, and I came back to 417 unread posts
eek.gif

Posting sales is always, always appreciated!
thumbs-up.gif

cincikid

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I wonder if the calfskin is significantly inferior. Guess I'll have to see.

I think it's an urban legend that AE and Alden use inferior calf/shell on BB models as they use on the shoes under their own brand (and I believe there was an extensive discussion--and possible not just one--about this in AE and Alden threads). I personally can't think of any compelling reason for AE/Alden to do so.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I previously owned some BB strands. The leather seemed identical to their AE branded counterparts.

Last edited:

shitown

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I wonder if the calfskin is significantly inferior. Guess I'll have to see.
I checked with AE and they stated that really the only difference is going to be your outsole, all the other components are exactly the same as Allen Edmonds shoes.

clew

Reaction score
Looking for some opinions. Got my (second pair) Bayfields in today from Lands End and one side of the upper is a lot more wrinkly then I would have expected, much more so than the rest of either boot.The wrinkles kind of grow or shrink depending on the direction the leather is folded, kind of like its loose or hollow under them.
Sucks because I already had to return one pair that was much worse off than these with drastic creasing and wrinkles. Makes me wonder if they're selling seconds or something.

Is this cause for concern, or am I being anal? Seems like it might be from seeing this thread:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/354137/leather-quality-and-properties

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
I believe that is how CXL normally looks. It's not your typical calfskin that's found on dress shoes.

SBear

Reaction score

Bayfield from Lands' End arrived today. Really disappointed. Crack on lateral right wall that seems to go all the way through (there is a corresponding crack on the inside). And, they've been worn so much they have creases, including in the cap on the left. Ridiculous they don't clearly state the shoes are not of new status.

Replacements arrived today. These are new shoes, all is well. Bad QC but quick response and happy outcome.

clew

Reaction score

^
I believe that is how CXL normally looks. It's not your typical calfskin that's found on dress shoes.

Thanks for the response.
If that was the case though why wouldn't some other portion (big or small) of it or the other one look similar? It's just that one panel. I have some chromexcel chukkas that are not like that at all either.
Looks like I'm not the only person having issues. Lands end was very helpful last time around.

Shiny

Reaction score

Is it possible that I have my posts set to "hidden" or something similar?  It isn't a big deal, but I always wonder why in this thread, my questions, comments, and pictures rarely receive any replies.  For example, I posted all of the Rediscover America sales, but only one person responded.  Is this sale just not a big deal?

Thanks many times over.

Did I ever tell you the about the time someone posted about an Ohio store that had 1st quality shell shoes for $300? That was a screaming deal. Here's how I made out:

cincikid

Reaction score
Thanks many times over.

Did I ever tell you the about the time someone posted about an Ohio store that had 1st quality shell shoes for $300? That was a screaming deal. Here's how I made out:

I also got it too from a store in Boston that week, but unfortunately had to return it due to the sizing issue.

cincikid

Reaction score
I was browsing the old AE catalogues and stumbled upon "The Imperial" in the 1959-1960 edition

http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/1959-1960-catalog

It looks really cool. It's made on the Kent last, which, of course, tells me nothing. However, by looking at it, the shape looks more rounded than that of the current AE models, and appears somewhat similar to Alden's Barrie last.

Ironically, the only actual picture of this shoe I found was on the very first page of the AE thread.

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
I talked to the Jennifer @ J-ville outlet today. If you mention the upcoming sale, they will honor the prices now (generally 15% off).

I was actually looking to get some Long Branch boots for the winter to beat around in the foul weather with. I need a 13B, but the closest she could come would be a 13D. I fear it might be too big so I passed. Could have had it for about $230 though.

cincikid

Reaction score
I talked to the Jennifer @ J-ville outlet today. If you mention the upcoming sale, they will honor the prices now (generally 15% off).

I was actually looking to get some Long Branch boots for the winter to beat around in the foul weather with. I need a 13B, but the closest she could come would be a 13D. I fear it might be too big so I passed. Could have had it for about $230 though.

I think you might be better off with the 25% off at J'ville outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads