• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Call a couple weeks in advance a s let them know what you are looking for. That way, if they have any in some warehouse, they will be able to get it in time for your trip. I have done this with success for some hard-to-find shoes.

bucksfan

Reaction score
By the way, those patriots fit me like house slippers. Amazingly comfortable. Slightly tight across the vamp, but just enough to keep my heel from slipping. Great shoes. I went tts to my bannock size.

sungmineyo

Reaction score

Anyone try a Microfiber Cloth as opposed to a regular cotton t-shirt or official AE or Alden Polishing Cloth?  

I read that the Microfiber Cloth performs different.

David, I use microfiber cloth. I picked them up at amazon.com after suggestion from other member.
Much easier to get high shine.

Last edited:

kentyman

Reaction score
There is no question in my mind that the Saphir dressing in Natural or any other color for Edging is superior to anything else.

Please don't take offense, but I feel I need to ask: Are you somehow affiliated with Saphir or The Hanger Project? In the last week you've extolled Saphir 13 times in this thread alone. For the record, I like their products as well.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Now that the anniversary sale is over (almost!). Any intel on the next one?
It's called the "Black Hole" sale. All your money is sucked out of your wallet with no chance of return. Oh wait, this is every day...

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started with the AE Park Avenue myself. I tried over a half dozen sizes before settling on the 11.5B. What I discovered is that the actual length and width between adjacent sizes (10.5D to 11C to 11.5B) is actually rather small. What changes more dramatically is the volume or girth of the shoe. I also discovered that concerns about shoes that are too "long" are exaggerated. The 5 last is long and narrow. In terms of length, the toe box is tapered such that the space up front is not very useful. Hence, you may find yourself with more space in front of your toes than another last that is more rounded (such as the 1 last). This extra space should not be cause for concern. It's just an artifact resulting from the shape and design of the shoe. Initially the shoe should be a little snug but not tight. If the shoe compresses your toes and causes any pain, then it is too small. With wear, the shoe will loosen a little bit but not too much. If your right foot is larger, then you may benefit from ordering a different size shoe for each foot. AE will happily do this for a nominal charge, and I assure you it's worth it to get a proper fit.
Hi all,

Quick question about how a correctly fitted dress shoe is supposed to feel. I had taken a chance buying my brannock device size (10.5 D) and ended up with a fit much too narrow and long. I recently exchanged those Park Ave's with 9 3E's at the store. A fitter helped me.

They feel better, but are still uncomfortable. My right foot is larger than my left, and my small toes are....compressed together. The back of my right heel rubs against the leather (the leather rubbed off on my sock). The same happened with the 10.5Ds too, so I don't know whether its a matter of shoe length. My left foot fits pretty well; it rubs against the throat line of the shoe, but not so bad.

I can't order a wider size than 3E, and the widest part of my foot matches up with the widest part of the 9 length. I'm wondering if the 5 last just isn't for me. Should a shoe feel tight or uncomfortable?

First, welcome to the Style Forum. I am also a newcomer in the last month or so - and there is much to be gained by viewing all of the topics.

As for your issue - the first thing I would want to ask is if you went to an official Allen Edmonds Store (or Nordstroms). Both of these store have the very best fitters - and you should be able to get a final size or answer. Plus - you always have the Made-to-Order or Custom Fit option (look at Allen Edmonds website for details).

There is a difference in the 5 Last versus the 7 Last for a width of eee . I found that out when my first purchase in 1998 was for a D width, and it ended up a EEE because the Nordstrom Staff was well trained.

You should be able to feel comfortable right out the door - no break end needed for the Calfskin styles.

But the quick answer is . . . AE can fit you comfortably!

David

Yes it was an official AE shoe. The fitter was very professional and the shoe was comfortable in the store. I wonder if cramming into the narrower 10.5D's all day had squished my foot enough that the 3Es felt roomy, haha. Can't afford custom-fit quite yet. I will try out the different lasts.

Thanks for the feedback David!

Why didn't you try a 10 E? Going down to 9 EEE is a considerable drop from 10.5D.

Anyway, the 5 last is a pretty challenging fit...it is a very long and narrow last. I use a 14E in the 5 last and I get heel slippage, but that is the best fit for me.

Why don't you try a 1-last shoe in your Brannock device size? They seem to be more spacious versions of the 7-last (I am a 14D in the 7-last and it is perfect for me).

I had simply gone in to buy shoe care supplies. To be honest I was shocked the salesman offered to exchange the shoes for me (I had worn them a few times already and they had wear), so I went along with whatever he suggested.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Please don't take offense, but I feel I need to ask: Are you somehow affiliated with Saphir or The Hanger Project? In the last week you've extolled Saphir 13 times in this thread alone. For the record, I like their products as well.
Happy to hear you are also a fan . . . but no, I am in no manner affiliated with any of the items I have posted about on this forum (suits, polish, shoes, etc). You probably will see that I have posted more about Allen Edmonds shoes, and I was privileged to speak with the CEO - Paul last week - but only as a customer since 1998.

I like the AE shoe polishes - I used them for over 15 years - until I read an Esquire Magazine article where they compared the leading polishes throughout the world. I am also in a licensed profession which requires fact-finding - which many times can lead to erroneous opinion-findings. It is my nature to check things out that deeply interest me - such as being a good steward in maintaining or adding to the quality items already own. When something gets my attention, I dive into the core of the facts. Sometimes I get it wrong and have to employ other means to get it right. But once I am sold on the merits of a service or product - I am seldom a silent voice when others are reaching out for direction.

I chose to call Hangerproject before I purchased. And after my first nominal purchase - I was very satisfied with the results and then called the owner to inquire of more products for my wife's leather goods as well as distressed items that I have.

I did the same thing with AE recently - because I had not used their recrafting for sometime. What I "know" - I will share . . . but only as a true customer.

Thanks for asking - and if you find yourself in Western Montana, look me up!

David

(Looking forward to Spring-Summer with Allen Edmonds Boots!)

charliebrown2

Reaction score
thinking about polishing up my merlot mcallisters. would this work?

leather cleaner
burgundy cream polish
neutral wax polish

thanks

David Copeland

Reaction score
David, I use microfiber cloth. I picked them up at amazon.com after suggestion from other member.
Much easier to get high shine.
Could you tell me what phrase to search for at Amazon - or what brand? There are 73,000 results - and I want to make sure I get the right product.

Thanks.

harlequin782

Reaction score
This is a question for the bigger guys on the forum who frequent the AE stores. I plan on visiting the Washington D.C. area in June and was wondering how frequent AE stores typically carry larger sizes, size 14 specifically? I'm hoping to pick up a pair of olive Neumoks, and will likely call the stores in that area ahead anyways, but I was hoping someone had experience with this.

My experience is that they often have many styles in larger sizes in-store...I wasnt even planning on buying my blue neumoks in 15 the day I went in...but the sales associate said hold on, let me go check to see if we have one in the back, and sure enough, she came back out with a pair. They fit like a glove and so I bought them right there on the spot. Just my two cents.

jrarnold

Reaction score
Here is a kicker . . .

My foot size is 11.5

AE sized me in 11eee - which was much more comfortable because of the last. When I spoke to Paul last week, I mentioned that my 11.5 foot was more comfortable in a half size smaller, with a triple e.

I moved to Montana from Newport Beach (where the shopping was GREAT). Now the nearest Nordstroms is in Spokane, Washington - if I was to be fitted in-store by a professional.

Otherwise, AE recommended that I order online - and if it does not fit, they pay for return postage - back and forth, back and forth - which I think is okay if I lived in the North Pole. And because different styles may predict a completely different size - I think I will take along a notebook to Nordstroms and try on every style that strikes my fancy - so that when I return to Montana I can return to online buying with the correct fit.

I would call ahead and ask what styles they actually have. I made a 45 minute(one way) trip to the closest Nordstroms and they only had eight total styles and two of them were loafers. It was a very disappointing trip for me as they didn't have any of the orthotic line and Park Avenues would never fit me. Driving all the way to Spokane just to have a really limited selection to try on would be very disappointing. I've made the Spokane -> Great Falls trip a number of times and couldn't imagine doing it just to try on shoes.

frogwash

Reaction score
I used the live chat on AE's website and was told that they do not handle sales made by their retail partners.

Contact Paul's office.  You have what is supposed to be a first quality shoe from a legitimate source.  I would expect that AE would make it right somehow.

Why? Allen Edmunds sells new shoes to Amazon for resale. It's obvious that Amazon took these back from a customer yet they sold them to you used. It is Amazon's responsibility to replace them, not AE's. You paid Amazon for new shoes, how can you expect Allen Edmonds to take used shoes and send you new shoes? That will end up with AE putting out two pairs, but only getting paid once, by Amazon. Since Amazon is the "legitimate source", it is their duty to make it right.

What I would suggest is call Amazon back and ask for a supervisor, then demand that they perform as per the contract. You ordered and paid for new shoes and new shoes is what Amazon is required to send you. There isn't any fine print on Amazon that says its ok to substitute used items when you buy new. Amazon even sells used items for many item categories, but they are listed as such. They can't legally just switch used for new when they feel like it. That's false advertising.

Also, out of nine pairs of AE shoes, I haven't received any with "plastic sticks", they have all come in felt bags, stufft with black paper.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question.... What do people think about the DR plan- nah just kidding.

I bought a pair of first quality AE Strands about three years ago from the Madison Ave store and there has been significant bowing on the sides. I THINK I read earlier in this thread that it was considered a defect but I can't find that post now. Can someone confirm? I likely have no recourse as I've worn them on and off for the last three years hoping the bowing would disappear. This is just for my curiosity's sake.

Also the edge dressing that the SA recommended was pretty bad. It is this roll on type that quickly flakes off, leaving the edge looking splotchy. I read in this thread that people use 150 grit sandpaper to remove all edging and restore it to neutral... But then what? Is there a better edging product to use?

Thanks folks! Even with the bowing I experienced on my Strands, I think a pair of shell Dundees is my next boot purchase.
If the bowing is large enough that they consider the shoe defective they likely would still exchange it for you. Only way to know for sure is to call CS and they would have you send them in to check them. If it doesn't bother you as is then I wouldn't worry about it, some people are fine with bowing but for others it is distracting enough that it is difficult to live with.

Hard to beat AE edge dressing, most of us will tell you there is nothing better. I've never had it flake before. After you apply it make sure you take a rag and wipe off any excess. You may have gotten a bad bottle although I have never heard of that I'm sure it could happen, I would try another bottle.
thinking about polishing up my merlot mcallisters. would this work?

leather cleaner
burgundy cream polish
neutral wax polish

thanks
I would skip the neutral wax polish personally. You shouldn't need it if your using burgundy polish already.
Could you tell me what phrase to search for at Amazon - or what brand? There are 73,000 results - and I want to make sure I get the right product.

Thanks.
"amazonbasics microfiber cleaning cloth" and change the quality to the 48 pack for $28 and you get free shipping. And yes they are great for shoe care.

Pastor

Reaction score

Here is a kicker . . .

My foot size is 11.5

AE sized me in 11eee - which was much more comfortable because of the last.  When I spoke to Paul last week, I mentioned that my 11.5 foot was more comfortable in a half size smaller, with a triple e.

I moved to Montana from Newport Beach (where the shopping was GREAT).  Now the nearest Nordstroms is in Spokane, Washington - if I was to be fitted in-store by a professional.

Otherwise, AE recommended that I order online - and if it does not fit, they pay for return postage - back and forth, back and forth - which I think is okay if I lived in the North Pole.  And because different styles may predict a completely different size - I think I will take along a notebook to Nordstroms and try on every style that strikes my fancy - so that when I return to Montana I can return to online buying with the correct fit.

I would be uncomfortable going to a store and trying on all their shoes with no intentions to buy. I'd be wasting a sales person's time that they could potentially be using to actually sell shoes and make money. I'm fortunate to have an actual AE store about 30 minutes from me and i've been in there and developed a relationship with the manager. I've bought shoes from him and the other day when I was thinking about order the patriots as seconds I first went to him and while no one was in the store (they had just opened) I told him about the seconds sale and asked if he would allow me to try on a pair to ensure proper fit. Of course he had no problem doing this because i'm a loyal customer and even that day I walked out with shoe trees and suede waterproofer. I think that is different than going into a store with a notebook with the sole intentions of "finding my size" so I can buy online and not buying anything from the physical store. I think this is especially true at a store like Nordstroms. Just my $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads