• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Perhaps this will help:

Brown Longbranch
So you purchased the Longbranch after all? Good for you!

How have they worked out for you?

What products have you used to maintain them?

Were you sized at an AE store for them? I'm curious as to how the Longbranch size & last compare in size & last with your others.

itsmejson

Reaction score

When in doubt, always order two sizes. And if not in doubt, give some consideration to two pairs in the same size. Every pair fits differently ..........

Isn't that the truth. I hope one of the two works out because pretty much anytime I order from the jefferson outlet I have to return a size - feeling guilty

Veridis

Reaction score

Just in from Amazon! My $199 McAllisters!!
I bought the same shoe from amazon.. It had obvious signs of wear, and there was none of the usual paper + plastic stick thingy that kept the shoe in shape.

Although the soles looked fine, the rest of the shoe looked older than my 4 month old walnut Strand...

njruss

Reaction score
I bought the same shoe from amazon.. It had obvious signs of wear, and there was none of the usual paper + plastic stick thingy that kept the shoe in shape.

Although the soles looked fine, the rest of the shoe looked older than my 4 month old walnut Strand...
Mine look perfect - paper in the toes, shoebags and not laced. I saw your previous post (or a similar one by someone else) and checked them carefully. Everything looks good. They are my first AE's so I wasn't going to settle!

Veridis

Reaction score
Mine look perfect - paper in the toes, shoebags and not laced. I saw your previous post (or a similar one by someone else) and checked them carefully. Everything looks good. They are my first AE's so I wasn't going to settle!

That is good to know, I am glad it worked out for you.

I just spotted a slight dent about an inch long on the inner side of the left shoe. Just talked to Amazon and they offered a partial refund of $30 of I keep the shoes, and a full refund if I return it. Exchanging is not an option.

Actually, for $170 it is quite a good deal. I could just pretend I bought seconds. However it is never nice when you expect first quality shoes and get slightly used one. I think someone ordered them a while back, wore it around the house for a day and returned it without the paper and plastic stick.

Hmm, to keep or to return... I only have a few hours left to buy it at about $260 (including tax) from AE's website. From a poor student's perspective, keeping it seems the most cost effective.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you purchased the Longbranch after all? Good for you!

How have they worked out for you?

What products have you used to maintain them?

Were you sized at an AE store for them? I'm curious as to how the Longbranch size & last compare in size & last with your others.

Yes, I've had them since December. I like them, and given the needs that I was trying to fill when I chose them, I still think they were the best choice for me. I wanted a boot that was going to be getting worn weekends during the cooler months and I wanted them to handle whatever I needed from them including running errands around town to walking in the park with kids. I wanted something that I wasn't worried about regular exposure to rainy weather as well. I needed them to be more rugged than a dressier version like the Dalton. They have fit into those needs perfectly. I maintain them with AE Conditioner/Cleaner and Dark Brown Premium Polish. I was sized at an AE store, but they weren't my first pair on the 1-511 last. That last is perfect for my foot, so I knew what to expect before I ever tried them on. I am true to size in all of my AE's so far. The only exception is the 5-65 last where I size up half a length and down one size in width. I don't do this for comfort reasons, however. I do it for purposes of helping the creases to fall in a more desirable location, and the change in size doesn't affect comfort for me. When I go true to size in the 5-65 last, the shoe tends to crease awkwardly.

LaymanX

Reaction score
Quick question.... What do people think about the DR plan- nah just kidding.

I bought a pair of first quality AE Strands about three years ago from the Madison Ave store and there has been significant bowing on the sides. I THINK I read earlier in this thread that it was considered a defect but I can't find that post now. Can someone confirm? I likely have no recourse as I've worn them on and off for the last three years hoping the bowing would disappear. This is just for my curiosity's sake.

Also the edge dressing that the SA recommended was pretty bad. It is this roll on type that quickly flakes off, leaving the edge looking splotchy. I read in this thread that people use 150 grit sandpaper to remove all edging and restore it to neutral... But then what? Is there a better edging product to use?

Thanks folks! Even with the bowing I experienced on my Strands, I think a pair of shell Dundees is my next boot purchase.

njruss

Reaction score
I used the live chat on AE's website and was told that they do not handle sales made by their retail partners.
Contact Paul's office. You have what is supposed to be a first quality shoe from a legitimate source. I would expect that AE would make it right somehow.

David Copeland

Reaction score
I just spotted a slight dent about an inch long on the inner side of the left shoe. Just talked to Amazon and they offered a partial refund of $30 off I keep the shoes, and a full refund if I return it. Exchanging is not an option.

Actually, for $170 it is quite a good deal. I could just pretend I bought seconds. However it is never nice when you expect first quality shoes and get slightly used one. I think someone ordered them a while back, wore it around the house for a day and returned it without the paper and plastic stick.

Hmm, to keep or to return... I only have a few hours left to buy it at about $260 (including tax) from AE's website. From a poor student's perspective, keeping it seems the most cost effective.

A dent? That looks more like a minor cosmetic fix for the next time you want to add a Saphir Polish and other products to it - which should virtually eliminate what I am seeing. For $170, you could take the extra savings and get the full Saphir line to REALLY take care of that like-new appearance you want.

David

Last edited:

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A dent?  That looks more like a minor cosmetic fix the next time you want to add a Saphir Polish and other products to it - which should virtually eliminate what I am seeing.  For $170, you could take the extra savings and get the full Saphir line to REALLY take care of that like-new appearance you want.

David

Try actually looking at the picture, clearly there is a dent/crease in the shoe. No amount of Saphir is going to fix that.

Last edited:

David Copeland

Reaction score
I bought a pair of first quality AE Strands about three years ago from the Madison Ave store and there has been significant bowing on the sides. I THINK I read earlier in this thread that it was considered a defect but I can't find that post now. Can someone confirm? I likely have no recourse as I've worn them on and off for the last three years hoping the bowing would disappear. This is just for my curiosity's sake.

Also the edge dressing that the SA recommended was pretty bad. It is this roll on type that quickly flakes off, leaving the edge looking splotchy. I read in this thread that people use 150 grit sandpaper to remove all edging and restore it to neutral... But then what? Is there a better edging product to use?
There is no question in my mind that the Saphir dressing in Natural or any other color for Edging is superior to anything else. And with the full process applied to the edge, you should not have to use sandpaper. I will let you know for sure in the color you mention, because I just received the supply of Saphir products from Hangerproject today.

As for the bowing - how long after you purchased them did it start? One option is to wait until the shoe needs the $125 Recrafting from AE - which includes a stretching of the upper to restore the shoe to the original out-of-box fit and look. (You may want to try the SEARCH using the term "bowing". If not, Google has great search results for this web site - and you could type in "bowing" in Google, then go to Advance Search and limit the results to styleforum.net - which is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads