• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Breaking news! Doesn't the fact that the CEO posted those details [two yrs ago] indicate a certain level of transparency?

Perhaps someone could make a YouTube video to fill us in on the sordid details. He could reference that [six year old] article from 2007.
LOL nice post! And then after more than 19,000 people watch it change your mind. Patrick when your done with the Reno will you please pass it over here? ;-)

Yep, or partially anyway.

The Amoks are Made in the USA as are all the Goodyear Welted shoes. The DR shoes are the cemented ones. MH is obviously still nit picking because some uppers are cut/sewn in the DR and he's mad about it.

ps why are you still hanging out in the Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread, MH?
Sensationalism Hound your statement is False. You don't know where parts of your uppers were stitched together. And obviously do not understand manufacturing workflow and business, let alone an even bigger picture that exists. In addition to trying to keep the cost of your product to $150 or less than the Chinese market.
Here is a comparison with a few of my other shells that were out, can kind of tell that it is a little dull and needs some work getting the proper shell shine.

Alden Cigar boot on left and AE on right

L to R: Color 4, Color 8, Dark Brown, Cigar
Thank you very much for sharing those pictures. I have wondered where cigar fit into the shell rainbow and from what I could tell it was fairly close to AE Dark Brown. Now that I have a reference from your pictures it helps a lot.

Work has been a bear over the last week and I've only had time to look at the Townley's quickly last night as the sun was going down, but the color on mine looks to be closer to the AE Dark Brown than Horween #449 (AKA Dark Cognac). They look closest to my brown shell Patriots from what I can tell so far. I will know better this weekend when I have a chance to clean and polish them and hopefully the sun will finally come out:

Left to Right: Dark Brown, #449 (Dark Cognac), truffle (cappuccino), walnut.

My C&J for RL Marlow's are the same color as my 744's above so I believe they are also #449. And my Alden Ravello chukka's are very close to the walnut above, but have acquired a little bit more red over time. Hope that helps.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not nitpicking. The Amok uppers are cut and sewn not in the USA.

Further, AE has a duplicate plant in the DR and shifts production on 'Made in USA' shoes there at any time.

deadhorse-a.gif

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got my Lexingtons back from redrafting. Should I be worried that the back of one shoe sticks out over the heel more than the other?

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ps why are you still hanging out in the Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread, MH?
Because I have appreciation for Allen Edmonds shoes.

I don't think one has to have a full 100% appreciation for all facets of Allen Edmonds business/management, in order to participate here, or do they? Does someone want to administer some gestapo-ish litmus test to measure each poster's undivided loyalty to AE?

Last edited:

jkater1

Reaction score

Thank you very much for sharing those pictures. I have wondered where cigar fit into the shell rainbow and from what I could tell it was fairly close to AE Dark Brown. Now that I have a reference from your pictures it helps a lot.

Work has been a bear over the last week and I've only had time to look at the Townley's quickly last night as the sun was going down, but the color on mine looks to be closer to the AE Dark Brown than Horween #449 (AKA Dark Cognac). They look closest to my brown shell Patriots from what I can tell so far. I will know better this weekend when I have a chance to clean and polish them and hopefully the sun will finally come out:

Cigar is very close to AE Dark Brown, only difference is AE Dark Brown has a slight red tint and the Cigar has a little olive to it.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone, on pictures of what color the Brogue Suede looks like?

thanks.

Don't have a real life picture, but I was able to mock one up using the custom shoe maker on the AE website. If you go to the custom section on the website, you'll see Brogue Suede as a choice for some of the shoes. http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/cati_Custom+Shoes_1_40000000001_-1_1_image_0_Y_128657_

I did a MacNeil. Chocolate Suede on top, Brogue Suede on bottom. It appears the Brogues is a shade darker than the Chocolate:

Last edited:

tampatravel

Reaction score

Because I have appreciation for Allen Edmonds shoes. 

I don't think one has to have a full 100% appreciation for all facets of Allen Edmonds business/management, in order to participate here, or do they? Does someone want to administer some gestapo-ish litmus test to measure each poster's undivided loyalty to AE? 

Mediahound, A photo of yourself with an AE shoe bag being used as an oven mit, a diorama of your favorite AE store made from an AE shoebox, and you'll need to wear a "my friends went to Port Washington and all they brought me back was this lousy t-shirt" will show your true devotion to the AE brand. ;-)

I'm kidding of course! It's good to have differing opinions. That's what makes the world go around they say, right?

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found out AE still has a supply of black sharkskin and some ostrich if anyone is wanting some exotic leathers.

Last edited:

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK guys - if you could get any AE shoe in ostrich (black, chili, or brown) what would it be?

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am an Alden fan but an AE loyal. My question is what is the difference between Strand AE's and Mcallister AE's. I need a pair of WT and would like to get the best ones AE has to offer.
The best one is the one that you like the best..... The Strand is a perf captoe shortwing hybrid and the McAllister is a traditional shortwing. If you search the AE website using wingtip there are even more options available than you listed, including the MacNeil which is a LWB. Limiting it to your 2 choices I have the Strand in walnut shell and McAllister in walnut calf. There is also the shell version of the McAllister, the Cambridge, which I have in burgundy shell. In my mind that one is the flagship of the wingtip fleet and the one that I consider "best" wingtip that AE has to offer.

Cigar is very close to AE Dark Brown, only difference is AE Dark Brown has a slight red tint and the Cigar has a little olive to it.
Once again, I thank you very much for the insight! And do appreciate your knowledge.

Last edited:

harlequin782

Reaction score
Which brings up a good point about AE's (arguably) two best balmoral offerings in its entire catalogue:

Cambridge VS. Brown Shell Strand

I say Cambridge. Im liking the bossy double sole, the burgundy is classic and versatile, and the wingtip design is virtually fail safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads