• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and etc.)

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Quite possibly, although the lapel design doesn’t quite look like theirs.

French outfitter Julien Scavini had a fascinating guide to the different variants of notches favored by Parisian tailors and shops:

Voidoid

Reaction score
From the pictures it's definitely not Arnys jacket, cause I think Arnys jackets have branded lining.
Still maybe I will pull the trigger, the only thing that stop me is loro piana super blablabla and charcoal color.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Kenjiro Suzuki reappeared on IG after shutting down a couple years ago. Now he's in Tokyo making suits
Kenjiro Suzuki reappeared on IG after shutting down a couple years ago. Now he's in Tokyo making suits.
Kenjiro Suzuki reappeared on IG after shutting down a couple years ago. Now he's in Tokyo making suits

Kenjiro Suzuki reappeared on IG after shutting down a couple years ago. Now he's in Tokyo making suits.
Yeah some of us had noticed his Paris business had gone into liquidation a little while ago: https://www.societe.com/societe/kenjiro-suzuki-sur-mesure-paris-790962187.html

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Dunno. I think it’s just an incredibly tough environment to be an independent custom tailor or shoemaker in Paris rn especially one without a lot of history. Rents are really high and the trend for dressiness is going away except for a few weirdos and enthusiasts like us.

I know that Suzuki seemed to have some clientele in Japan before his business closed; its understandable he’d set up there.

In Paris I know that one of the duo from Air (Nicolas Godin?) was a customer. Amusingly, a friend of mine worked with Godin on a project and said he wouldn’t stop talking about his shirts, so he sounds like one of us.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunno. I think it’s just an incredibly tough environment to be an independent custom tailor or shoemaker in Paris rn especially one without a lot of history. Rents are really high and the trend for dressiness is going away except for a few weirdos and enthusiasts like us.

I know that Suzuki seemed to have some clientele in Japan before his business closed; its understandable he’d set up there.

In Paris I know that one of the duo from Air (Nicolas Godin?) was a customer. Amusingly, a friend of mine worked with Godin on a project and said he wouldn’t stop talking about his shirts, so he sounds like one of us.

I can’t speak from personal experience, but I can give anecdotal stories of artisans in Italy who aren’t Italian: I know it’s rare for them to have Italian clientele. It takes a long time, which is part of why kotaro (Sartoria corcos) in Florence is so impressive: even Italians consider him one of the best young tailors of the next generation in Florence.

Having said that, Suzuki, I think his rents are probably high & probably most of his clients are Japanese (whose currency has been devalued relative to the rest of the world). I’m guessing that really took a toll on his business (and why he moved to Japan). He seemed to do a nice suit for Simon Compton. Also, with a lot of clientele, the brand name (ciffonelli or camps de luca, and to an even greater extent, G, LV, H) is more of a driving force than the quality of the jacket.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does Cifonelli travel to NYC more often than Camps De Luca, seems like I hear more about Cifonelli client than Camps De Luca?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cifo’s been doing the trips to New York longer, plus for over 20 years they’ve been able to get their name out through things like licensed ready to wear that used to be sold at Wilkes Bashford and Neiman Marcus. I think Camps de Luca travels to NY at least two or maybe three times a year.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CdL only recently started traveling to NYC while Cifo has been going for years. Plus Cifo constantly posts on IG while CdL hardly does anything.

dawei94

Reaction score
More fulsome post to come later, but I just picked up a 3-pc peak lapel dinner suit from Cifonelli (pic of Alex @ Cifonelli presenting it to me attached). The Cifonelli team was particularly gracious in working with my fairly rushed schedule, as I was informed that a wedding I am attending tomorrow was black tie not optional in early November. I emailed them, they happened to be in NYC a week or two after I emailed them, so I met them in NYC with my previous commission so that they could judge any changes. I then saw them in Paris the week of Thanksgiving, which was a week and a half after meeting in NYC. The fabric arrived to their atelier late so they had just cut the fabric and were creating the basted fitting as I got there, during which time they took the opportunity to show me the workshop. I was then in Paris from March 11-14, during which time they completed 3 more fittings and finished the suit hours after the last fitting.

Even though I am not a frequent customer of Cifonelli or a particularly important one, and I usually show up to their atelier dressed quite poorly, Lorenzo, Massimo, Alex and Jean Paul are always super welcoming and worked with my fairly demanding schedule (when I showed up on the evening of March 11, the jacket and vest were still basted, while the trousers were done but needed to be shortened a bit and loosened a bit in the seat, and I left for CDG on the evening of March 14 with all 3 completed).

The team went above and beyond in both meeting the timeline and in other ways too. I didn’t have a bowtie, so they made me one…

For anyone thinking about ordering, I would say that the customer service are as outstanding as the garments

Attachments

• IMG_5791.jpeg
    IMG_5791.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 63

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More fulsome post to come later, but I just picked up a 3-pc peak lapel dinner suit from Cifonelli (pic of Alex @ Cifonelli presenting it to me attached). The Cifonelli team was particularly gracious in working with my fairly rushed schedule, as I was informed that a wedding I am attending tomorrow was black tie not optional in early November. I emailed them, they happened to be in NYC a week or two after I emailed them, so I met them in NYC with my previous commission so that they could judge any changes. I then saw them in Paris the week of Thanksgiving, which was a week and a half after meeting in NYC. The fabric arrived to their atelier late so they had just cut the fabric and were creating the basted fitting as I got there, during which time they took the opportunity to show me the workshop. I was then in Paris from March 11-14, during which time they completed 3 more fittings and finished the suit hours after the last fitting.

Even though I am not a frequent customer of Cifonelli or a particularly important one, and I usually show up to their atelier dressed quite poorly, Lorenzo, Massimo, Alex and Jean Paul are always super welcoming and worked with my fairly demanding schedule (when I showed up on the evening of March 11, the jacket and vest were still basted, while the trousers were done but needed to be shortened a bit and loosened a bit in the seat, and I left for CDG on the evening of March 14 with all 3 completed).

The team went above and beyond in both meeting the timeline and in other ways too. I didn’t have a bowtie, so they made me one…

For anyone thinking about ordering, I would say that the customer service are as outstanding as the garments
Can't wait to see pictures of you wearing this!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads