• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are right; maybe I overreacted a bit in the wake of being disappointed by yet another pair of Park Aves that gape. Still, it's a frustrating issue that should be resolved by AE. I know the CEO mentioned in an AAAC post a couple years ago that he was aware of the issue and working on it, but perhaps it's no longer a priority since the gaping problem still exists. Should he still be reading this thread, I would love to hear where AE currently stands in terms of addressing the problem.

Also, I know my experience is limited, but the reason I am inclined to believe that that Park Avenues can and do indeed work fine for my feet and the issue is not improper fit is because I've had a pair that had no gaping whatsoever on the left shoe, and moderate gaping on the right shoe. I've posted these pics in this thread before:

Perfect fit on the left shoe, gaping on the right. These are first quality shoes purchased directly from AllenEdmonds.com. This leads me to two possible conclusions:

1. Although my Fifth Avenues fit fine with no gaping, for some strange reason my foot is incompatible with Park Avenues even though they are made on the same last and are essentially exactly the same shoe except the Fifth Ave has punches along the toe cap. If this is the case, then I guess the properly fitting, gape-free shoe that you see on my left foot in the picture above was DEFECTIVE, and not the other 5 individual Park Avenue shoes I've had experience with that DO have the gaping issue.

Or the more likely conclusion...

2. The shoes that have the gaping issue suffer from some type of structural/manufacturing flaw that has yet to be pinpointed/fixed by Allen Edmonds, yet such shoes still pass quality control and are sold as firsts.

I guess the solution here, if I really want to get a pair of black Park Avenues that don't gape, is to wait until I can get to an AE retail store in a few weeks and try on every single pair in my size until I find a good pair. Hopefully the sales rep would have some patience. :rotflmao: I'd still be disappointed though that I had to pass on the great price of $215 on seconds currently being offered by the Jville store.

Last edited:

ajmanouk

Reaction score

You guys are right; maybe I overreacted a bit in the wake of being disappointed by yet another pair of Park Aves that gape. Still, it's a frustrating issue that should be resolved by AE. I know the CEO mentioned in an AAAC post a couple years ago that he was aware of the issue and working on it, but perhaps it's no longer a priority since the gaping problem still exists. Should he still be reading this thread, I would love to hear where AE currently stands in terms of addressing the problem.

Also, I know my experience is limited, but the reason I am inclined to believe that that Park Avenues can and do indeed work fine for my feet and the issue is not improper fit is because I've had a pair that had no gaping whatsoever on the left shoe, and moderate gaping on the right shoe. I've posted these pics in this thread before:

Perfect fit on the left shoe, gaping on the right. These are first quality shoes purchased directly from AllenEdmonds.com. This leads me to two possible conclusions:

1. Although my Fifth Avenues fit fine with no gaping, for some strange reason my foot is incompatible with Park Avenues even though they are made on the same last and are essentially exactly the same shoe except the Fifth Ave has punches along the toe cap. If this is the case, then I guess the properly fitting, gape-free shoe that you see on my left foot in the picture above was DEFECTIVE, and not the other 5 individual Park Avenue shoes I've had experience with that DO have the gaping issue.

2. The shoes that have the gaping issue suffer from some type of structural/manufacturing flaw that has yet to be pinpointed/fixed by Allen Edmonds, yet such shoes still pass quality control and are sold as firsts.

I guess the solution here, if I really want to get a pair of black Park Avenues that don't gape, is to wait until I can get to an AE retail store in a few weeks and try on every single pair in my size until I find a good pair. Hopefully the sales rep would have some patience. :rotflmao: I'd still be disappointed though that I had to pass on the great price of $215 on seconds currently being offered by the Jville store.

Better idea. Go to the store and try on every RIGHT SHOE hahaha

Claus

Reaction score

I'm really sorry to say this, but if only one pair had no gaping while five others had, the evidence strongly suggests, the one pair was indeed the exception. In other words, your second theory is indeed less likely, not the other way around.

Many people have differently sized feet. I'd suggest you use a measuring tape to make sure, yours aren't.

MDeKelver

Reaction score
Use a natural caranuba wax...like Allen Edmonds. There is also a natural Kiwi wax. Put it on thin so it doesn't flake in the creases. The tone and colours in your Strands just don't do tinted polish, IMHO.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm really sorry to say this, but if only one pair had no gaping while five others had, the evidence strongly suggests, the one pair was indeed the exception. In other words, your second theory is indeed less likely, not the other way around.

Many people have differently sized feet. I'd suggest you use a measuring tape to make sure, yours aren't.

No, not five pairs with gaping, five individual shoes. One pair had gaping only on the right shoe, as in the pics above, while two pairs had gaping on both shoes.

And your premise suggests that Allen Edmonds intends to make shoes that gape.

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't agree. I used to own a Ford Explorer with significant problems. Totally unacceptable since I bought it new. After I got rid of that car I swore off Fords for life. Sure, they have some nice models etc. People tell me that Ford is a great product now since I they didn't take the bailout, but one bad experience is enough to tell me to stay away.

A pattern of stubbornness doesn't mean you're right.

Claus

Reaction score

And your premise suggests that Allen Edmonds intends to make shoes that gape.

My premise presupposes that your feet are not meant to fit the 5-65 last.

Surely, I might be wrong. It's always hard to tell from the distance. Just a suggestion.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, I got the Shoebank flyer in the mail today for the 91st Anniversary sale, 4/15-29, $91 or 19.22% off select factory 2nds and closeouts.

A few factory 2nd prices from the flyer:
Carlsbad $215
Cody $215
Larchmont $269
Neumora $178 (hmm ...)
Strawfut $178 (hmm ...)
Vernon $178
McTavish $189

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My premise presupposes that your feet are not meant to fit the 5-65 last.

Surely, I might be wrong. It's always hard to tell from the distance. Just a suggestion.

That is a possibility, but I am not ready to accept that premise yet for a few reasons:

- Firstly, I have NEVER had such an issue of the uppers bowing-out around the ankles with any other brand of shoe, suggesting that I don't have a abnormally shaped feet.

- Secondly, I have a perfectly fitting pair of Fifth Avenues that don't have any gaping whatsoever. The Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue are of course made on the same last. It follows, then, that the fit of the two styles should be the same, given the same size. The fact that the PAs seem to suffer from the gaping issue but not the Fifth Avenue indicates that Allen Edmonds is at fault, not my foot. They're doing something weird with their Park Aves during manufacturing, and I say it must be a conspiracy! :nodding: Kidding of course. But then there are plenty of instances on this forum of people experiencing gaping on other AE styles as well, hence my previous comment threatening to swear off the brand altogether.

Last edited:

cbtaylor

Reaction score

FYI, I got the Shoebank flyer in the mail today for the 91st Anniversary sale, 4/15-29, $91 or 19.22% off select factory 2nds and closeouts.

Carlsbad $215
Cody $215
Larchmont $269
Neumora $178 (hmm ...)
Strawfut $178 (hmm ...)
Vernon $178
McTavish $189

Thanks for posting, does anybody know if any firsts will be discounted?

frank212

Reaction score
Some of the AE shell is covered with more cream than others, I'd say 1 in 3 or 4 have been just buried in it like you describe. Above is what works for me. As soon as your done cleaning the shoe with Renaveutor don't forget the first step of the Mac method is to use a damp rag and wipe down the shoe. I agree it is hard to get a good shine on cream LOL and I have some that you could actually see brush marks on the surface it was so thick. But once you get it off the Mac method does work. My AE shell shines and glows just as well as my Alden now.

The cheapest place for bulk Microfiber cloths that I have found is Amazon under Amazon Basics. If you spend over $25 it is free shipping so I get the 48 pack which is ~$28
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Microfiber-Cleaning-Cloth-Pack/dp/B009FUF6DM

Good luck the results are more than worth the work to clean them IMO.

If the cream is a treatment by Horween or AE, presumably to condition, protect, and extend the life of the shell, wouldn't it behoove us to keep it stock rather than strip it for a shine?

New Shell Owner [with another (Leeds) enroute]

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score

Carlsbad $215
Cody $215
Larchmont $269
Neumora $178 (hmm ...)
Strawfut $178 (hmm ...)
Vernon $178
McTavish $189

Also, the J'ville outlet also has a special twist when these sales roll around. Shell shoes for $150, special deals...Anybody got inside info on the J'ville outlet?

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for posting, does anybody know if any firsts will be discounted?

Here is a list of first quality discounts I received from the Phoenix store. I'm guessing it is at all stores.

$249:

McAllister

Boca Raton

Carlsbad

New Orleans

Cody

Verona

Franciscan

$199:

Strandmok

Hector

Rapid City

Woodstock

$149:

Grand Cayman

Sedona

Eastport

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads