• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lucas

Reaction score
After two months of waiting, my grey Daltons have finally arrived! I'll be picking them up tomorrow afternoon. I will try to get pictures up asap.

EDIT:

I stopped by one of my local AE stores today. I'm in the Boston area so I'm lucky that I have three stores depending on where I am any given day (Downtown, Newbury St and Natick). Anyway, they offered to swap out my McAllisters but before they did I asked for another measurement and after trying on a few different things he helped me decide that I in fact needed a wider shoe. So, we went down to 7.5 but in an E. Unfortunately the McAllister in that size was out of stock so I used a PA as reference and they will ship me the new shoe. That should hopefully take care of the discoloration, sizing and gaping.

Don't expect an uncomfortable shoe to become comfortable over time. It really has to start comfortable. The stretching that happens naturally will not be significant enough if the shoe is improperly sized. Definitely get a shoe sized to the larger foot and cope with some mild slippage with the smaller one.

PS: I'll be swinging by Downtown tomorrow to get my Daltons. ^.^

Last edited:

tonydl3

Reaction score
I've been watching this exact item for some time now and came across this thread when I was browsing around. They look like a deal at the going price but I'll be bidding on the shoes too. Good luck and I apologize in advance if I steal them from you. Created an account to just say that
smile.gif

Last edited:

harlequin782

Reaction score
First wearing of my shell Dundee today

These dundees look awesome...They're exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for posting these pics. I cant wait to get mine. Could you confirm for me that these are the Dark Brown color shown on the AE website? Meanwhile, would you be so kind as to post more pics of your's if you get the urge to take more?

Quote:
Truthfully, am I the only one who doesnt even think these look that much sleeker at all? Not that thats a bad thing, because I dont want my boots looking like wholecuts. That defeats the purpose for my tastes. Nevertheless I'd never consider this space boot looking deal to be appealing to my eye. Dont care if it looks worldly or whatever. It honestly doesnt look good to me. I guess, because I prefer more understated shoes. Ive never been one who likes buckles and straps draped all over my shoes. Which I suppose is why Ive never remarked when pictures of the mora, or the neumora are posted. And does anyone else not see the contradiction in saying that shoe style should be global, yet the only acceptable inspiration for shoes is from manufacturers in Italy, England? Thats not global. Thats just intercontinental. So perhaps we should just say that shoe style should be western/central European.

Those boots might be expensive, but the actual look doesnt even say high quality to me. Its basically a non descript, garden variety black boot with an even duller shine than the Dundee is accused of having. I know that perfing or "holes" are supposed to represent lower quality, but Im not sure I buy the less is more argument in this case yet either. And there is still visible stitching on those boots, with the only real differences being that this boot's form is taller, it doesnt have the split reverse welt, and possibly not even a double sole. This of course is likely all because it is not a chukka boot at all. So naturally it wont have the styling and stitching that a chukka boot like the Dundee is supposed to have. And there appears to be some sort of buckle/straps tacked onto the upper, which doesnt even look neatly done , in my opinion..but thats subjective - however, it doesnt even look like the space boot would really coordinate with the poster's personal style anyway. And I certainly dont think it would be advisable to just throw some name brand space boot on your foot, just because its supposed to represent globalism and high fashion in the eyes of some. And since there are no set stipulations to one's personal style I say, to each his own.

Last edited:

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Truthfully, am I the only one who doesnt even think these look that much sleeker at all?

If you scan through the posts that followed the one you quoted, you'll see you're not alone.

After two months of waiting, my grey Daltons have finally arrived! I'll be picking them up tomorrow afternoon. I will try to get pictures up asap.

Pictures of grey Dalton boots are something of which this thread does not have a surplus. So, please post a few pictures when you pick them up, but make sure to a moment to appreciate your purpose for as long as you want before thinking of the thread. You waited long enough to earn that moment of taking them in.

Last edited:

benjaminroy

Reaction score
I accidentally put the wrong color edge dressing (brown) on my walnut Strands. :-/

Anything I can do short of just waiting for them to wear down a bit and then re-applying the chili dressing? I don't hate the look of the brown, but it just irks me that I messed up the look of the shoe.

Sigh.

TheSizzle

Reaction score

When mafoofan trolls, he trolls hard. Today, he wedged his way into a few threads, and, in some, his attempts were less subtle than the rest. Either way, with some people not as actively involved in the forum and knowledgeable with respect to his online persona, it's difficult to just let his comments sour the thread.

I accidentally put the wrong color edge dressing (brown) on my walnut Strands. :-/

Anything I can do short of just waiting for them to wear down a bit and then re-applying the chili dressing? I don't hate the look of the brown, but it just irks me that I messed up the look of the shoe.

I wouldn't say that you ruined them at all. AE puts a brown edge on some of their walnut-colored shoes, and it can look good (Shelton, MacNeil, etc.). The edge on their bourbon shoes is even darker, quite possibly black, and bourbon isn't that different from walnut. I'd say ride it out and just use lighter edge dressing in the future, but you could try giving them a quick wipe-down with some leather conditioner. That would probably remove a bit of the pigment from the edge dressing.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does that dude have asperger's or something? something about his attempt at trolling just seems off, in a "and now, i will engage in what the humans affectionately refer to as 'having fun!'" sort of way. maybe his account got hacked by someone who doesn't speak english normally? :confused:

Last edited:

cbtaylor

Reaction score
These dundees look awesome...They're exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for posting these pics. I cant wait to get mine. Could you confirm for me that these are the Dark Brown color shown on the AE website? Meanwhile, would you be so kind as to post more pics of your's if you get the urge to take more?

Yes, this is the dark brown color. I will post more pictures if I get a chance.

JermynStreet

Reaction score

Sigh.

Renomat. That will solve all of your shoe polish/edge dressing problems. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics