• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggquis

Reaction score
So, Dabondo sent me a counter offer. Is that usually the final word, or has anyone had the experience of meeting somewhere in the middle?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So, Dabondo sent me a counter offer.  Is that usually the final word, or has anyone had the experience of meeting somewhere in the middle?

Who knows? This is the very first time I have ever heard of him sending a counter offer. Let us know how it goes.

amphillips79

Reaction score

Quote: That will get expensive as there's just about no way that I could go to Orlando without also bringing the family down and paying for us to go to Disney World. And the next time my wife wants to stay "on property." Ugh. There goes several thousand dollars.
What better way to convince the family it's ok to attend? Make a vacation of it! Also, it's way cheaper if you just buy into the Disney vacation club
1f601.png

amphillips79

Reaction score

So, Dabondo sent me a counter offer.  Is that usually the final word, or has anyone had the experience of meeting somewhere in the middle?

I've had that happen before. I found that when he counters that the product is better than average and he feels it's worth a bit more. Since I've found him fair on everything else I didn't bother countering his counter.

gm928

Reaction score
I've had that happen before. I found that when he counters that the product is better than average and he feels it's worth a bit more. Since I've found him fair on everything else I didn't bother countering his counter.

I think I've gotten 2 or 3 counter-offers from him, but I've also never tried negotiating further -- just moved on.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well lets see ... I can get wordy so lets sum this up...

1 - Sept 2015 I officially moved from buying 'extra baggy large' cloths to XL cloths
2 - Thanksgiving 2015 a _very_ unflattering (but true) photos was posted by my favorite cousin
3 - Dec 2015 My 49th Birthday and I was always SO tired.

I've battled some serious health issues stage 4b cancer & a heart attack  but getting that big was only making matters worse.
My dad died at 57 and I was NOT going to do the same!

So I said enough is enough... I had already kicked two of the most addictive (legal) substances on the planet (nicotine and caffeine) so I said thats it, no more bad habits (bad eating and snacking) so I stopped.

I started substitution... No chips or candy and I snacked on pickles (yea not good but it worked for me) and you can only eat so many of these before you can't do it anymore. Then sometime in January I had lost nearly 15 or so pounds and I had SO much more energy.  In February my wife got me a Fitbit and I started walking nothing crazy and I never broke a sweat but I did walk a lot. By Aug I was @ my 145 target weight and the only clothes that fit anymore were sweatpants and 3 pairs of size 33 Levi's 511s that were now swimming on me (lol I was just as amazed).

No crazy workout not even breaking a sweat ...
No snacking
Yes eating responsible meals (NO starches and NO snacking)
Yes as many extra servings of veggies as you like to fill the belly provided the aren't slathered with butter or cheese.
Yes lots of willpower (a lot of that) but after everything I've already been thu willpower is something I have LOADS of.

So yea not easy but its inside anyone who wants to _really_ make it happen.

Just had my 50th birthday and while my closet is 99% empty I'm working on it and I gotta tell you I don't think I'll every look back.

Man, congratulations on all this. I lost 45lbs a few years ago through no tricks- just hitting the gym and doing a complete 180 on my eating habits. I'm 5'11" and had just hit 200 lbs, and after a conversation with my doctor about being pre diabetic (and some very unflattering beach pictures), I knew something had to change. I've been able to maintain a range of 155-160 for the past 3 years, and it's a wonderful feeling. I went from feeling like I was going to have a stroke after running one mile, to completing my 2nd marathon last month- that feeling of accomplishment can't be matched imho.

Congrats again!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at 155 in 2015, which for being 5'9'', was a little much for me. I had previously been a 130-140 pound guy most of my life. I had trouble fitting in many of my older slacks. I did not hit the gym, but rather just cut down on my bread and sweets consumption. I used to buy these big boxes of organic cookies and chow down on them at my work desk. That's a great way to gain about 10-15 pounds of belly fat weight. It's also a bit surprising that even dropping 15 pounds can make your shoes fit slightly larger at the instep.

roz77

Reaction score
Potentially dumb question. Are the shoes sold through AE's eBay store firsts quality? Seconds? Something worse?

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like you and I could be good friends.

Next time you're in the Chicago area, let me know. We'll drink, talk AE, and see how much bail money we have between the two of us.

gm928

Reaction score
Potentially dumb question. Are the shoes sold through AE's eBay store firsts quality? Seconds? Something worse?

If they don't say otherwise, they are firsts. They do sell seconds on there, but the description clearly says so. All of the thirds get shipped to Dabondo's basement.

harlequin782

Reaction score

Would it be possible to have an AE forum and then have individual threads to cover specific topics so that advice and pics don't get lost.

For instance, their could be a Cornwallis thread that has all the advice just given plus pics plus thoughts and reviews.

There could be a shell thread.

There could be a thread on eBay advice and brags.

There could be a thread on wish lists, post your collections, color debated, etc.

I am too ADHD and get lost on this thread too easily.

I 100% absolutely second this..there also needs to be a thread specifically dedicated to AE Ebay buyers
...there is enough of this demographic that they need to form their own thread...it would prevent this thread from getting mired in these awkward discussions about Dobando (?) and other ebayers that many people have no knowledge of.

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, Dabondo sent me a counter offer. Is that usually the final word, or has anyone had the experience of meeting somewhere in the middle?

If you feel like it send him a counter-counter offer. Its no big deal. You're not offending him.

Personally, I rarely accept or resubmit on counter offers, as I make my BEST offer right off the start. If they don't like it, no skin off my nose. In all likelihood, they'll sit around eBay for a while and I'll make the same offer and they'll accept. If not, PLENTY of other shoes on the 'bay'.

freshstyle

Reaction score
The threads are exposed on the combination tap sole. How strong is the glue that holds the rubber to the bottom of the shoe?

Would it fall apart once the threads come undone?

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Yeah, so apparently this price just reflects the current sale price on certain Dainite shoes. No need to get excited or necessarily buy through the eBay store as the same price is available on the main AE site. Oops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members