• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Togas

Reaction score
One thought is to use Bick 4 or the AE bourbon polish. I use saphir for all my shoes, but would not for a very special color like bourbon. I have a similarly complex color from Carmina and have not used anything but Bick 4 and wax thus far. I know that I will eventually have to use the mid brown polish on them, but I'm holding out for as long as I can.
I use Saphir Dubbin Graisse Conditioner after I strip my shoes and let them sit a few days. I normally use Bick 4 and or Renovateur for routine maintenance.

I have the AE polish. I did 3 coats of the AE cream, but the color is still not even. That's what I get for watching TV while I was stripping the shoes.
I know the Saphir stuff will correct that issue in a shorter time due to how rich their colors are.

I guess I'll have do deal with it until I can get some more scheduled polishing in.

amphillips79

Reaction score
In the spirit of our recent suit/shoe discussions I thought I'd show a picture of my dark navy Oxxford cashmere suit. The pic makes it look more black but it's a great color and fit.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I learned AE does not send you any email notification when you do a recraft. My Clark St's arrived today, and the v-tread looks pretty good. Was hoping these would come back feeling more snug in the heel, but sadly, they don't. But I'll still be wearing these often because the sole is much better now (good riddance, Dainite!)

BTW, does anyone know if you can apply a $50 AE coupon towards a closeout 1st quality item?

Last edited:

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe it's time to switch things up. Ditch my OOTD series for a while in favor of the After Hours series. Y or N?

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Keepers or no? I don't HAVE to have another pair right now, but I sure do like the strands....

255f07aecd2cddfdcaaf475a6fa89d0f.jpg

66e7f4787739a71e963029cb34e9495e.jpg

368202c6a5f61b7583dbd6f9aa0d07c4.jpg

Seconds? If so, I say that's not too bad, but in the end you're the one who has to live with them. Sleep on it.

DaveCPA

Reaction score
Yes seconds. If the loose stuff on the final picture won't worsen I'm probably good. It's on the inside of the shoe.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After the recent rains, there is mud in some places.

Mud and the shoe of many names. When I got them they were part of the A-E Corporate Casuals collection. (They have orthotic inserts and rubber soles.) Since then they have had many names and have come in many colors and other variations.

(For those who might be wondering, I walked around the mud.)

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I always use neutral edge dressing on my walnut shoes.  Chili will work ok, but I'm not a fan of changing the original color of the edge.

Thank you. The bigger question for me is how can I gently, but effectively, remove the edge dressing I've already applied?

Some people have done this by hand with sandpaper. You can either take off the excess dressing this way or remove it entirely. For me, this is too much work and I take them to the local cobbler who can do it in a minute or two with a machine tha has a sand paper belt. These Fairgates were originally black if I recall, and I had it removed and covered in a colorless sealant. You could also use a different color then if you chose to change it. You will notice that the black welt on the shoe leaves a black layer n the side of the shoe. I didn't mind it, but others might.

Last edited:

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Shannon Drive's are olive, a very muted shade vs the pair pictured. Excellent with cords, jeans, chinos, and wool slacks.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dfwcowboy , speaking of olive... wearing olive Shannon Drives today. FYI, I think these have more of a brown tint to them than other olive models form AE.

These came via AE''s ebay store and were one of the best deals ever for 1st quality shoes. 201 last, similar fit to other shoes/chukkas, outside of the Rogue. Perhaps a slightly smaller instep than others, especially for a blucher (which is good for my low arches). I'd highly recommend them to anyone! Screw the model in the new catalog; this is how these should be made.

In terms of pants colors, this is a first time pairing of these blue 5-pockets and the SDs. Was planning to wear my MD chukkas, but the spray was dry on them in time. I, too, wondered how I would pair them. They pair nicely with many colors, but look especially killer with denim!

I really liked my Shannon Drives. If they'd paired better with khaki and been a bit better fit-wise, I would have kept them. Digging the Olive Strandmoks that replaced them a lot though...

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keepers or no? I don't HAVE to have another pair right now, but I sure do like the strands....

Personally, I wouldn't bat an eye at any of those issues and would wear them right away. But, that's me. I'm not terribly picky, and usually drunk. So, take that for what it's worth.

lodemia

Reaction score

+1 for the keep pile.

As long as it's not an obvious issue on the top of the shoe, I figure I'll mess them up more than that myself...

Speaking of which - anyone know the proper care for bourbon? I went to my knees and did a number on the burnishing on the toes. I'm almost thinking strip and start over...

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color options from AE are great. I've found the gray Parkway as well as MacTavish shoes truly outstanding , and get the most compliments when worn.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you scoring at home on the dabando1 auctions, I made an offer on some lightly worn walnut First Avenue boots listed at $225. He accepted $140 for them. That's just a touch over the 60% threshold. Hoping these turn out well for me. I passed on the big FA sale from AE recently because I've been trying to save for a pair of Alden Indy boots. However, I'm a weak man.

Full disclosure: I currently own zero pairs of walnut. Got a golden brown CXL. Got a tan saddle. I'm really looking forward to being able to finally answer "yes" when someone asks me if I even walnut, bro. I've been living this lie for far too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members