• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRJames

Reaction score
@Lobster33 I'm hankering for the Overlord, especially if there an extra 20% off coming in March. Talk me into them?

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DRJames

Out of all my casual shoes (Wilbert, Clark Street, etc.) the Overlord is my favorite. I took a trip recently and found myself wanting to wear my Overlord the most, even more than the Higgins Mill. It's just a fun shoe to wear (I wore them today and did a lot of walking in them) and they are quite comfortable. You better move on them soon, as inventory is going to run out by this Spring. Below is a detailed review if you want to read my long opinion on them.

http://www.styleforum.net/products/allen-edmonds-mens-overlord-oxford-brown-8-d-us/reviews/3947

DRJames

Reaction score
Ok gents, I pulled the trigger on a blemished Sanford from our favorite eBay dealer (I won't say I wasn't heavily influenced by scotch), but would like some input on how I may be able to address the blemish. They're otherwise brand new and for less that $100, it feels like a good deal. I've done a first layer of Bick4 and the Walnut Premium Polish, but curious if anyone has input on how to minimize the blemish. This picture is pre-treatment.

Also, this brings me to 6 pairs since December, so is that weasleworthy?

DRJames

Reaction score

@DRJames

Out of all my casual shoes (Wilbert, Clark Street, etc.) the Overlord is my favorite.  I took a trip recently and found myself wanting to wear my Overlord the most, even more than the Higgins Mill. It's just a fun shoe to wear (I wore them today and did a lot of walking in them) and they are quite comfortable.   You better move on them soon, as inventory is going to run out by this Spring.  Below is a detailed review if you want to read my long opinion on them.

http://www.styleforum.net/products/allen-edmonds-mens-overlord-oxford-brown-8-d-us/reviews/3947 

Awesome review man! It's interesting, my Neumok 2.0 on the 201 are a better fit than same size on my 65 last, so maybe the Overlord will be a decent fit. I wear probably 70% casual shoes (Clark St, Oak St, Neumok 2.0), so I feel like the Overlord could be a great addition. It's basically between that and a natty CXL Oak St., so if Overlord has a good discount in March it's a no brainer.

Biggquis

Reaction score
Are the Rogues and Strands too close in style to consider getting both? That question is for the normal people who post here. Not those of you with multiple colors of the same shoe :)

What would be the difference in how I can wear my Strands vs. Rogues? Looking at a pair of Rogues in Dark Chili

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome review man! It's interesting, my Neumok 2.0 on the 201 are a better fit than same size on my 65 last, so maybe the Overlord will be a decent fit. I wear probably 70% casual shoes (Clark St, Oak St, Neumok 2.0), so I feel like the Overlord could be a great addition. It's basically between that and a natty CXL Oak St., so if Overlord has a good discount in March it's a no brainer.

I hope it helps. Just keep in mind that the 20% discount might not apply towards shoes that are already clearanced (I could be wrong). The $157 price on Overlord seconds might drop to $137, but it's hard to know for sure if this will happen. Since this shoe is popular, it might not be discounted further.

The Overlord fits a bit more roomy than the Hopkinson, yet I find the instep to be a little more snug on the Overlord. If you had no problems with other 201 lasted shoes, the Overlord will probably work well for you.

Also, I have a shoe with a similar defect to the one you posted above. Sadly, there's not much you can probably do to fix it. I tried polishing my Loake's, but it only helps a little bit. I don't mind because most people can't really see this defect from a distance and it looks like a crease. If you can live with the defect, I say, keep 'em.

DRJames

Reaction score

Are the Cliftons and Strands too close in style to consider getting both?  That question is for the normal people who post here.  Not those of you with multiple colors of the same shoe :)

What would be the difference in how I can wear my Strands vs. Cliftons?  Looking at a pair of Cliftons in Dark Chili

Only commenting because my brother just got the Clifton. To my untrained eye they are more synonymous with Fifth Ave than Strands. Also, they're a blucher, so different from Strands in that sense. Don't personally think of them as being redundant.

DRJames

Reaction score

I hope it helps. Just keep in mind that the 20% discount might not apply towards shoes that are already clearanced (I could be wrong). The $157 price on Overlord seconds might drop to $137, but it's hard to know for sure if this will happen. Since this shoe is popular, it might not be discounted further. The Overlord fits a bit more roomy than the Hopkinson, yet I find the instep to be a little more snug on the Overlord. If you had no problems with other 201 lasted shoes, the Overlord will probably work well for you. Also, I have a shoe with a similar defect to the one you posted above. Sadly, there's not much you can probably do to fix it. I tried polishing my Loake's, but it only helps a little bit. I don't mind because most people can't really see this defect from a distance and it looks like a crease. If you can live with the defect, I say, keep 'em.
Thanks man, my choice is of course not entirely dictated by potential discounts, but it doesn't hurt. In terms of the blemished Sanfords, I think I'm set on keeping them. No one will ever notice the blemish in regular wear, and I actually like the shoes a lot, but I'd still like anyone's take on how I might be able to improve it. If I can't improve it, no sweat.

Last edited:

rumjt

Reaction score
I did this with my Carlyles and it worked out. I definitely prefer the newer bourbon finish vs. the older "greenish" bourbon I had on it before.
It's funny because I'm looking to do my Carlyles as well. And the need to request burnishing is a good tip, @Voice of Reason
How long, realistically, does it take them? 1-2 months?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Are the Rogues and Strands too close in style to consider getting both?  That question is for the normal people who post here.  Not those of you with multiple colors of the same shoe :)

What would be the difference in how I can wear my Strands vs. Rogues?  Looking at a pair of Rogues in Dark Chili

Get both. The Rogue is a bit more casual with the Boucher laces. The dark chili is really nice. Check the fit before the order as the rogue is on a roomier 201 last and as a Boucher will fit looser than the balmoral strand on the 65 last. I love mine and they are clearance so you should get a deal.

Last edited:

Voice of Reason

Reaction score

I had a bourbon pair refinished. Random story. I had a pair of Sapienzas but they were a tad wide. Found a width down pair on eBay and jumped on them. They were barely worn but the elastic tabs had been cut out (Venetian loafers) And they reeked of smoke. Seller was cool and gave me a complete refund and AE said if I had them recrafted they would fix the elastic tabs. Bourbon color came back just about like before (should have asked for burnishing though) and it was as expected. 90% of smoke smell was gone as well (now completely gone).

My one regret is I did not ask to replace the black welt dressing. You can see the posts today and yesterday of folks tampering with that. I would see if they would do that as part of redrafting. ???

It's funny because I'm looking to do my Carlyles as well.  And the need to request burnishing is a good tip, @Voice of Reason

How long, realistically, does it take them?  1-2 months?

I think a month? Email communication / notifications were not really good. Thought they were lost as never got an email confirming receipt. So I called a few weeks in and they said it would be a month I think and then I had a week later. Something like that. It's been awhile.

freshstyle

Reaction score
Many of you know the walnut color has gotten darker since 2016 (right around the time they got rid of bourbon)

Did the leather get tanned darker, or did they apply darker dye, or is it only just more polish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads