• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gooter

Reaction score
These showed up today. Surprised how roomy they are compared to 5 last shoes in same size. They'll have to go back :(

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn it. He's an onsite legend. Show a little respect!

Also, LOL.

But seriously, I enjoy his posts in the WAYWRN (hope i got that right) threads and his wit in general. Keep it coming, @Roycru !

Last edited:

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back on topic...

I'm reaching 100% certainty that I'm going to take the plunge on those OG Black Jeffersons. They're practically collector's items at this point. Plus, they will help to fortify my Grandpa Pimpin' look when that's the look I want to sport.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These showed up today. Surprised how roomy they are compared to 5 last shoes in same size. They'll have to go back
frown.gif

Yup. Ran into the same thing with my Carlyles...I kept mine as an E wouldn't have been wide enough I figured.

TokenMao

Reaction score
These showed up today. Surprised how roomy they are compared to 5 last shoes in same size. They'll have to go back
frown.gif

Just my personal opinion, but I'm not a fan of the style (I think that's the Carlyle?). The plain toe looks bulky and awkward because the stitching around the vamp serves as a visual break that divides the shoe in half and draws your attention to the visually separated toe area. The beauty and symmetry of a plain toe style comes through with a long vamp that goes from toe to heel: for ex. bluchers or a wholecut or adelaide oxford (if you want dressier) because there aren't any visual breaks between the front and the back of the shoe.

I'd return them and use the money towards a nice pair of wholecuts :)

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup. Ran into the same thing with my Carlyles...I kept mine as an E wouldn't have been wide enough I figured.

I'm a "yuge" fan of the carlyle. I wear 8.5EE/9E on the 65 but 9E on the carlyle is perfect. That shoe fit me perfectly on day one. That would explain why it is my 2nd most worn shoe behind my brown shell strands. Started a spreadsheet about 4 months ago and its been interesting to see what gets worn and how often.

Jackboot

Reaction score

Have you seen some of the other mega threads on SF? Several pages per hour of in-jokes and tangents are not unheard of. Some of our off topic stuff is truly extraneous, but also a natural result of the camaraderie of this 'sub-forum.' Other technically off-topic stuff is arguably quite relevant. Discussion on tweed, jeans, watches and other '**** I wear with my AEs' can enhance the user experience. Or, to put it in FBW speak, justify the acquisition of more shoes.

Oh, and my TDI is da bomb! :stirpot:

I've noticed the other mega-threads. I speak only for myself and argue that they would also be improved by more focus and higher-quality posting. I don't think it's feasible for most people to keep up with the threads when there is 10+ pages per day posted, of which only one or two is completely on-topic.

I realize that some people enjoy the camaraderie, but when a good portion of all posts are made by a relative handful of in-jokers, is that camaraderie or is that hijacking? As it stands right now, I'm usually unable to participate at all in the thread because I simply can't keep up. To me, the pace of the thread ends up being exclusionary rather than fostering camaraderie.

If I had it my way, camaraderie would take place in threads dedicated to that purpose (in the OT/chat forums), WAYWRN shoe posts would be posted to WAYWRN threads, and "small questions" tangentially related to AE (or even shoes) would be posted to the various "small questions" threads. That would allow this thread to remain much more on-topic and would consequently be limited to a reasonable number of posts per day for most users to follow and participate in.

But like I said, that's just my opinion! I just wonder how many others might feel the same way.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed the other mega-threads. I speak only for myself and argue that they would also be improved by more focus and higher-quality posting. I don't think it's feasible for most people to keep up with the threads when there is 10+ pages per day posted, of which only one or two is completely on-topic.

I realize that some people enjoy the camaraderie, but when a good portion of all posts are made by a relative handful of in-jokers, is that camaraderie or is that hijacking? As it stands right now, I'm usually unable to participate at all in the thread because I simply can't keep up. To me, the pace of the thread ends up being exclusionary rather than fostering camaraderie.

If I had it my way, camaraderie would take place in threads dedicated to that purpose (in the OT/chat forums), WAYWRN shoe posts would be posted to WAYWRN threads, and "small questions" tangentially related to AE (or even shoes) would be posted to the various "small questions" threads. That would allow this thread to remain much more on-topic and would consequently be limited to a reasonable number of posts per day for most users to follow and participate in.

But like I said, that's just my opinion! I just wonder how many others might feel the same way.

Well you have me somewhat at a loss here. What have you been unable to say or speak to as a result of the speed of the page? Seems to me it is very easy to toss what you are thinking out there and people will reply. If we take away pictures of people wearing shoes, questions that are tangentially related what are we left looking at? Pictures of new releases? More questions of "do I keep it"? I guess I'm trying to understand what it is you would be ok talking about. Questions about fit but only in relation to AE? If I find myself many pages behind I just look at pictures till current and go from there. I don't think it is exclusionary. Several of us were new to the thread in 2015, or 2016, and I'm sure 2017 will be the same. I know I didn't have trouble jumping in there. Please do not take this as me attacking you, I would like to know in your opinion what topics would fall within a more on-topic scope for you?

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa. I think this qualifies you as a next-level shoe nerd. Achievement unlocked!

Wait, not everyone keeps a spreadsheet to track their AEs? How do you keep track of the lasts, soles, colors, fit, lace length, etc?

fing02[1].gif
@M2511 !

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please don't take this the wrong way, but do those fit you well? They seem like they are too wide for your feet - zero V. If you have the room (which it looks like you do), grab a pair of insoles. Your feet will appreciate the extra cushion, and you'll fill out those shoes better.

Tongue pads are a better solution for people with low insteps as it helps to hold the shoe on the foot without raising the heel the way an insole tends to do. I've got a low instep and picked up that tidbit from someone in the shoe business (cannot remember who it was).

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Every 201 I've tried on fits me the same or slightly shorter. Now I'm talking strictly length, not overall fit. As someone who varies between heel-toe (9.25) and heel-ball (10-10.5), I feel heel to ball is longer on the 65. There is a lot more volume, a higher cone, and some extra width on the 201 (especially if you have flater feet), which I could see leading people to want to drop down.

Its not a huge amount for me, but I do notice it. I couldn't size down a half from my 65 size. If I did, length would still be fine, but then I would lose any benefit from the higher instep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads