• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichieP

Reaction score

How does sizing in the 555 last compare to the 65? I'm a 12D in the 65 and am thinking of ordering some maritimes or kirkwoods. I do have a store nearby so I could just try them on, but the low inventory thing is really starting to frustrate me and I'd rather not spend the time if they are going to have to be ordered any way. So, assuming a 12D is perfect in the 65 (and 943), what would it be in the 555?

I shopped Martimes and Kirkwoods on Saturday and wrote a long-ass post about it:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/518090/...ng-accessories-clothing-etc/6555#post_8461962

The 555 definitely runs shorter. I have significant space in front on my big toe with the 65-last, and there was almost none in the same size (10D) on the 555. There is also lasting variation within the same size. One Maritime was no go very tight, and the other fit comfortably. I'll buy any 65 shoe sight unseen and know it will fit me. Wouldn't do that on a 555. You'll still have to try on for yourself, IMO.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What would the SF do?

I got these oxblood from the CEO sale. Seems really close to me to my existing burnished dark chili. Side by side there's a difference, but not sure there's really a practical difference. (I've got a walnut and black AE already.). Thinking of returning and saving the $300 for another day. Side admittedly looks more unique than tops.

I probably wouldn't own the Strand in two similar colors like that. Do you have a McAllister or Fifth Ave that you could get instead? Even a Park Ave would look great in merlot.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly? None of them will stop a nail. You really need something with a steel shank or metal midsole insert - stuff that will come with a good quality work boot. I've heard rumors of some folks that get orthotic inserts with kevlar, but I don't know how effective they really are.

If you want to go with AE boots on a site where there are nails, go for it. Just make sure you know when your last tetanus shot was, because you're going to need it. Also, make sure you have ready access to crutches, because as soon as you step on one, you're most likely going down and suffering a sprained ankle in the process.

I love the look of a lot of AE boots, but if I'm going to be anywhere near a remodel/demo/construction zone, there's no way I'm wearing anything other than a legit work boot. If you're worried about still looking great, there are a number of Red Wing, Thorogood, and other brands that are far more attractive than you might think when you hear the term "work boot." Look around, you might surprise yourself. Unfortunately, a number of those higher-quality work boots come with a price tag to match. You won't find anything that's in the same ballpark as a $107 Shoebank Freiburg - those ones are generally without a number of the safety features you should be looking for. But, you should be able to find yourself a good, puncture-resistant work boot for a little more than $175. Heck, a good number of the nicer ones are able to be resoled, too.

Seriously, I don't mean to poop all over your boot plan. I just know that I'm a big fan of doing what's right when it comes to footwear. I'm all for starting my wardrobe from the ground up, but that footwear has to do its job first. And, the first job of footwear in a job area is to protect your feet. I'd personally rather look like I'm wearing some clunkers and know I'm safe than look as fly as a mutha' and risk injury because some jackhole forgot to pound down those nails that were in the stud he just ripped out.

You want to sport some Freiburgs or Sturgises (Sturgi?) or Rothsays for rainy days or whatnot? Knock yourself silly. Post pictures here, 'cause I'd love to see them and kick myself for not jumping on them when I had the chance.

No worries man -- I appreciate everyone's honesty. I don't want people to sugar-coat anything, especially when talking about walking on sharp objects. I'm getting a very clear picture that I should not buy any AE boots with the intention of walking on sharp objects.

Look what arrived 1 day early -- my Leeds 2.0. :D Wore my 1.0 today and then was very pleased to see these are near flawless 1sts for half price. This is the only pair I have with the newer piping, but for this shoe, I don't mind too much. Most importantly, it fits the same as my 1.0.

Leeds 2.0:

My 1.0's I wore today:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So did anyone wear their Overlords for D-Day?

I wanted to wear my Normandy's (they're so comfortable, actually would be nice to wear those just about any day), but I couldn't.
mad.gif

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
No worries man -- I appreciate everyone's honesty. I don't want people to sugar-coat anything, especially when talking about walking on sharp objects. I'm getting a very clear picture that I should not buy any AE boots with the intention of walking on sharp objects.

Look what arrived 1 day early -- my Leeds 2.0. :D Wore my 1.0 today and then was very pleased to see these are near flawless 1sts for half price. This is the only pair I have with the newer piping, but for this shoe, I don't mind too much. Most importantly, it fits the same as my 1.0.

Leeds 2.0:

My 1.0's I wore today:

Reaction score
I was hoping to get your all's opinion. I am a relatively new attorney and have just recently started an AE Collection with a pair of Black Park Avenues. I was hoping to take advantage of the merlot sale and was wondering which you would recommend in that color. I do wear suits most days, so formality is somewhat of a concern.

columnsofsteam

Reaction score
How do people size the 201 last v the 5-65 last? I am generally a 10.5C or B in 5-65 shoes, and now looking to buy the First Avenue boot.
I think most guys keep the same size between the two lasts, and in my experience, the 201 is very similar to the 65. My First Avenues are the same size as my assorted 65 last styles, and they fit almost identically. I definitely couldn't have adjusted my size at all.

I was hoping to get your all's opinion. I am a relatively new attorney and have just recently started an AE Collection with a pair of Black Park Avenues. I was hoping to take advantage of the merlot sale and was wondering which you would recommend in that color. I do wear suits most days, so formality is somewhat of a concern.
Since you're in a suit most days, I'd probably go with the Fifth Avenue; functionally, it's going to be very similar to the Parks you have, but since you're in an industry where conservative dress is the norm, I think you'll get a fair amount of use out of both. That said, if you see yourself wearing sportcoats more often in the future (or if you just don't mind bending the rules a little), you could opt for the Strand instead.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second both of the above.

201/65 I would certainly start with your 65 size and go from there.

As for suits, I think the 5th Ave is a fine choice. Less formal than a PA, but not so much so that the vast majority of people will pay it any mind.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the assistance on 5-65 v 201.

And on the second question - any big sales in the near future which will probably include the First Avenue?

It really pains me to buy them at full retail, and shoebank has never had my size in stock

I kind of thought they might go on sale going into the US summer, but that hasn't transpired.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the assistance on 5-65 v 201.

And on the second question - any big sales in the near future which will probably include the First Avenue?

It really pains me to buy them at full retail, and shoebank has never had my size in stock

I kind of thought they might go on sale going into the US summer, but that hasn't transpired.

Isn't there one going on right now? The merlot color 5th ave is on sale for 245:

Last edited:

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do people size the 201 last v the 5-65 last? I am generally a 10.5C or B in 5-65 shoes, and now looking to buy the First Avenue boot.

On that note, are there any sales coming up in which the First Avenue might go on sale?
It depends on your instep. The 201 is basically the 65 with more room in the instep of the shoe. I have a somewhat shallow instep, so in the 65, my v-gaps don't touch on my balmorals, but on the 201 they come together nicely.

Given that you are between a C and a B in the 65, I would probably go with a B first in the 201 and I think you'll be happy with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads