• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

whodey14

Reaction score

These have been retired until football season, who-dey moks. Black and orange. New to the forum so I figured I'd share another pair.

styleaudit91

Reaction score
You wont be disappointed! The last pic is pretty true to how they look in natural light. My concern is they would look too much like a Walnut Strand (which I still don't own) but they have their own more wet sand or caramel color / tones.

harlequin782

Reaction score

You wont be disappointed! The last pic is pretty true to how they look in natural light. My concern is they would look too much like a Walnut Strand (which I still don't own) but they have their own more wet sand or caramel color / tones.

That was MY concern too...and it's why I steered clear of the Rush street and to a lesser extent the Elgin. But I love the fact that the Strandmok has a clear identity as a great looking casual shoe.. for my tastes and for the casual style I was looking for the Elgin, and especially the Rush Street, looked far too much like a regular strand, and we're too dressy looking for me...the darker brown Strandmok nearly also has this same appearance. I like the strandmok because it's not really a crossover style...about the only thing dressy about it is the closed lacing. For me, the shinier dark finish of the Dark Brown kind of put it right back on that borderline that I never quite liked about the Elgin or the Rush Street. The tan Strandmok fits the bill perfectly for my needs.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It (the shoes/brogueing) also draws attention to yourself/clothing and in formal settings you do not want to do that.  (at least you arent supposed to)  Settings like weddings/funerals/dinners are not supposed to be a setting for drawing attention to oneself.

While this is true, in real life there is very little distinction *************** punch cap and a black stitch cap. Most won't even be able to see that little strip of broguing unless they are on their hands and knees. And which employers, outside of the most traditional law firms in London, say, would raise objection to the difference? And if you're working in one of those, you better be sporting a traditional English Oxford with a closed heel anyway, so AE isn't gonna cut it.

Last edited:

feeble

Reaction score

These were the two that I tossed around. My deciding factor was sitting both colors in front of me in person and how much i love the dark chili ae I already have. Can't go wrong with either.

I agree. Imo both are equally versatile. If you go to any website that has a color wheel to match suit/pant color to shoe color, brown can be used for pretty much every color except black. Dark chili would presumably fit the bill as well.

I have a nice navy blue suit that I wear burnished brown park avenues with. I'm planning on wearing the fifth avenue in dark chili with them as well.

Last edited:

whodey14

Reaction score

I agree. Imo both are equally versatile. If you go to any website that has a color wheel to match suit/pant color to shoe color, brown can be used for pretty much every color except black. Dark chili would presumably fit the bill as well.

I have a nice navy blue suit that I wear burnished brown park avenues with. I'm planning on wearing the fifth avenue in dark chili with them as well.

I typically dress quite a bit more business casual than a lot of members. I wear dress pants and shirt with a pullover/sweater to work during the fall/winter and polos or just a dress shirt in the spring and summer.

That being said I can typically pull off just about anything. Plus I'm far more concerned about what I wear than any of my coworkers.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It (the shoes/brogueing) also draws attention to yourself/clothing and in formal settings you do not want to do that.  (at least you arent supposed to)  Settings like weddings/funerals/dinners are not supposed to be a setting for drawing attention to oneself.

While this is true, in real life there is very little distinction *************** punch cap and a black stitch cap. Most won't even be able to see that little strip of broguing unless they are on their hands and knees. And which employers, outside of the most traditional law firms in London, say, would raise objection to the difference? And if you're working in one of those, you better be sporting a traditional English Oxford with a closed heel anyway, so AE isn't gonna cut it.

No doubt. Im all for breaking the rules anyway. OP simply asked the reasons for why brogues are less formal. :cheers:

TxLiving

Reaction score
I was all set to buy the Oxblood Carlyle this weekend (already emailed the store to let them know what I wanted), but seeing the Chili Fifth Avenue's have me rethinking.

Really looking for a color I can wear with Blue/Grey pants, and both will work...It's tough wanting shoes haha.

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was all set to buy the Oxblood Carlyle this weekend (already emailed the store to let them know what I wanted), but seeing the Chili Fifth Avenue's have me rethinking.

Really looking for a color I can wear with Blue/Grey pants, and both will work...It's tough wanting shoes haha.

Dark Chili Carlyles are the obvious choice here.

harlequin782

Reaction score

​  I was going between the tan, brown, and navy actually but I have a lot of brown shoes and thought tan would be a good addition. What do you do for cleaning yours? I'm curious if I should care for them more like a suede, looks like AE recommends their leather cream on neumok so we shall see.  

I haven't received mine yet, but I plan on using Tarrago Nanoprotector, per the recommendation I've seen given on this thread before. It seems to receive pretty good reviews....no leather lotion though. I've extensively researched the recommended care of the tan strandmok, and AE has said both to use leather lotion, and then they very explicitly recommended against using leather lotion, in favor of using AE's suede/nubuck waterproofer, since the leather used is "similar to nubuck" according to them. But it's not actually nubuck nor suede, obviously, it's cowhide.

Last edited:

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it just personal preference or a legit reason behind not wearing dainite to formal functions like you mentioned.

I think he meant the shoe overall, not just the sole.  I could be wrong.  

I was thinking of Dainite-soled shoes; I wouldn't wear rubber-soles shoes for formal occasions but don't think twice about wearing them to the office (since they're miles ahead of whatever square-toed monstrosities my coworkers are sporting).

I believe it was Manton who said the black punch cap is the ne plus ultra of business shoes.

Last edited:

whodey14

Reaction score

I was thinking of Dainite-soled shoes; I wouldn't wear rubber-soles shoes for formal occasions but don't think twice about wearing them to the office (since they're miles ahead of whatever square-toed monstrosities my coworkers are sporting).

Just curious why you look at them differently. I wouldn't think twice about wearing a dainite anywhere.

We are in the same boat when it comes to coworkers. They wear the worst shoes. We are in and out all day and always on out feet. Johnston and murphy are by far the best shoes worn by any coworker. I have some myself. Mostly aldo, Steve Madden type of worthless shoes.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe it was Manton who said the black punch cap is the ne plus ultra of business shoes.

Actually it was black stitch caps, to which :foo: countered that his Phillip 2 punch caps were full of enough "win" to qualify. :)

I've read that post way too many times lol

Although I still don't have any dirty bucks, penny loafers, or suede monks. :blush:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads