1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redmusic1

redmusic1 Well-Known Member

I bought some brown MGs a few months back and had a pretty rough go at it, but when I finally got a pair that was actually dark brown, they were impeccable. The only thing I have found that could possibly be considered wrong is a very slight eyelet misalignment on one shoe, so slight that I wouldn't dream of returning them even as firsts. Thanks to Phil in Brookfield for scouting them and dealing with several shipments back and forth.

2. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Walnut Daltons in Brooklyn at the Record Fair. Flash washed out the color a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

What record fair??

Nice boots!

4. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

WFMU Record Fair at the Brooklyn Expo Center in Greenpoint. It goes on through Sunday. www.wfmu.org

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  5. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Sanfords look great! One of my fave AE shoes.

6. Newberry

Newberry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is crazy. I've only worn these 3 times and look what happened to one of the pull tabs on my Dalton boots. Do u guys think AE would give me a new pair because of this? Or even if I don't have the receipt still? I live in the Chicago area so I have 3 Allen Edmonds stores I can go too...

7. Sushi

Sushi Member

My brand new AE came in today and one shoe has this odd crease. Does this look like a defect or will a crease like this form naturally anyway?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Oh wow, those look really good - with and without the noted color differences. Yeah you wouldn't believe the difference. I always tell people to watch out between calf leather & suede since it can matter a lot, and this is definitely the extreme example of it. I think the stone suede was definitely the best of the 3 options. We'll see how the tan saddle I have works out.

9. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Depends what the 65 balmorals feel like to you with the lining. In all the 65 balmorals I own or have tried, I go with a 7D. The Neumok started off feeling a little roomier than the others since it was unlined. Similar instep pressure due like all 65 bals. I've worn them a ton - fully broken in, the pressure is WAY down and I can close the laces almost all the way. The toe box is still a little roomier than some but not a lot. Due to being unlined, where the shoe bends I guess sometimes it sort of pinches a little but it's not too noticeable. Some people change sizes for a Neumok - I'd advise against that iunless you were swimming in the 65 balmorals to begin with. The Neumok's great, easily one of my favorites. Waiting for it to warm up a little before breaking mine out again. For now I'm sticking to my McTavish & Overlord.

10. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

They will probably repair or replace that for you, but I wouldn't treat the pull tab on the Daltons as functional. They aren't thick enough or stitched as securely as heavy duty boots.

11. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Those are not 2nds, right? Your shoe looks similar to the creasing that happens on all of my left shoes around the ankle on the inside, but that crease is on the outside. Looks like a defect. I don't think that's going to disappear. You might return them if they are firsts. I personally don't think it looks terrible, but none of my firsts looked like that.

12. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

Does anyone use shoe trees from Nordstrom Rack? Did you go with same size as the ones from Jos Bank/AE? It appears that our beloved Jos Bank no longer sells trees.

13. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

That's a normal ceasing area where the stiffener on that area of the shoe ends. I wouldn't sweat it, looks like they've been tried on and walked around the house a little.

14. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

I buy Woodlore shoe trees at Nordstrom Rack. They are the same shoe trees sold by AE, except that they are "seconds". You should buy the same size because they are the same shoe trees.

The important thing to remember is after you plant the shoes trees, you have to be patient until the shoes grow to be the right size. If you pick the shoes too soon, the shoes will be too small.

Here's a picture of me buying Woodlore shoe tress at Nordstrom Rack and wearing Allen Edmonds shoes.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  15. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

@Roycru I know this is a shoe thread but I very much like your jacket. Nice.

16. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

I own several nordstrom shoe trees and they appear to consistent with the sizing of AE shoe trees. They are very fine imo. In fact, I'm 99% certain it's the same company that makes them for AE.

I was in a nordstrom rack several months ago and they were selling old stock nordstrom shoe trees for only $10-12 each. I should have bought them.

1 person likes this.
  17. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

@Roycru and &Lobster33 thank you!

18. Sushi

Sushi Member

Hm, they're completely new, straight out of the box. I suppose it's no big deal if these would form eventually anyway.

19. basura ka

basura ka Member

I ended up getting both.: Strandmok in Tan Leather and Fifth Ave in Dk Chili. Great, freaking shoes! I couldn't resist the $150 off of the retail for the Fifth Ave. I have it in Walnut although Seconds only - I know I know, had I waited I would've gotten it for cheaper and Firsts. The fit on the 65 last on the Fifth Ave is also way better than the Strand, for me atleast.
    The Strandmok is just plainly awesome. Pairs very well with chinos and khakis. And, I don't know, but I tried it with a light blue pair of shorts and I think it works.
    Shit! i literally just realized, I'm short on shoe trees. Damnit! This means if the 2 for $40 shoetrees sale is still going on I might end up with an extra pair of shoetrees... And who in here have extra shoetrees just lying around? Of course it would need to be functionally accompanied by, what else, a new pair of AEs [​IMG]

20. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Agreed. @Newberry, those are "decoration only." That said, if they were purchased thru AE, I'm pretty sure they'll fix it for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.