• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All about Levi's

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
those are not LVC at all. no hidden rivets, you can clearly see in the model picture that they are bar tacked. If you look at the leather patch, its the same one thats on the pictures I provided.

The ones you bought for $185 might be something completely different than the ones we are talking about here, that costs $265.

Also, until I see pictures I call 'bullshit' on your claims. I have yet to come across ANY levi's jeans with lower case "e" but with hidden rivets, selvage coin pockets, selvage line, and made in the USA. Unless you have some pre 1980s/90s Levi's deadstock, but you wouldn't have bought that for $185.

Reaction score
You could be right. When I told the exec that I bought them for $185, he immediately looked at my receipt, and proceeded to call over to the Liquor Store, wondering why they were sold to me for $185, when they should have been $265. He got off the phone with them, looked at me and said, "You got a good deal." When I made another trip to the Liquor Store, the price had been adjusted on the tags.
The patch is completely different on the pair I have than on the product description page (still a leather patch, but with W and L #s included), but I have a feeling that picture utilizes a prototype. The picture they had the first day it was on their website was of a generic looking 501, no model wearing them.

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
jcrew.jpg
IMG_0221.jpg

Reaction score
Sorry if these pics are too big, I'm learning on the fly...

concealed rivets

k736eabdb5tynl5lpqeg.jpg

thinner selvedge line

vwppm93afmw6586pqx2.jpg

leather patch W32 L32

bgg6gck9blzcqcrigban.jpg

coin pocket selvedge

eu9sj93gbggmmzdr8kqc.jpg

Made in U.S.A. & Liquor Store tab

ni9e387lap7lo8cmh4w.jpg

Tags

8iv7pkxrnvbh6kstq6s.jpg

Hopefully you can spot the small e

zzirjnyww6tkkn08ariq.jpg

A copy of the receipt

wisbtdtayab3gy5a0jxf.jpg

I was wrong about the price on the tag, though. It's listed as $250, as opposed to the $265 on the web page. As an aside, if any of you are crazy about Levi's and ever hear of an event involving Lynn Downey, by all means go! Her knowledge is incredible and she's a pleasure to listen to.

Reaction score
I can tell you this much- I have roughly 6 pairs of 1947 LVCs, and these are basically the same jeans, with a small "e". They fit the same and are of the same denim weight. However, no "XX" on the patch, and tagged waist size is not pre-soak. Hence they are tagged true to size.
Geez, after sharing this info (along with photos for the doubters) you'd think I'd at least get an apology for the "bulls**t" comment!
wink.gif

Reaction score
The picture on the J. Crew website looks like the premium 501 they were premiering at Barney's Co-Op the day I was there. I believe they were around $150, made in the U.S., selvedge, but no hidden rivets or coin pocket selvedge. They had 3 different washes- a dark rinse, light rinse, and a hideous "destructed" pair. The Levi's people said that particular store was the only one in the world, at that point, that had those three particular 501s. The Barney's on Madison, however, is stocking the LVC 1947 STF. It was on their website a couple of days ago, on sale for I believe $109.

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thisyearsmodel
I can tell you this much- I have roughly 6 pairs of 1947 LVCs, and these are basically the same jeans, with a small "e". They fit the same and are of the same denim weight. However, no "XX" on the patch, and tagged waist size is not pre-soak. Hence they are tagged true to size. Geez, after sharing this info (along with photos for the doubters) you'd think I'd at least get an apology for the "bulls**t" comment!
wink.gif

no apologies at all. I'm still not sold. LVC's have big "E"s. The last year any levi's had a big "E" was in 1971. Your's aren't LVCs. Besides the 1978 501 I suppose but your arcuates don't match up to those either. Sure it has all the tell-tale signs, hidden rivets, redline selvage, even the fit. But looks like you got some weird frankenstein Levi's sh!t that isn't impressive at all. Why would you spend 200+ on some lackluster jeans when that 200+ can be spent on either the real deal or another brand altogether? If you have 6 pairs of LVC 47's you would know by now that if it doesn't have a big "E", you either have a defective version or something else. Just because you threw together the Jcrew tags + receipt + your ugly levis =/= thats what the website is selling. Is there a chance you got those at J Crew? Sure? Is there a chance you and I are talking about two completely different levi's that jcrew is carrying sure? But do I owe you an apology? Nope

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thisyearsmodel
You could be right. When I told the exec that I bought them for $185, he immediately looked at my receipt, and proceeded to call over to the Liquor Store, wondering why they were sold to me for $185, when they should have been $265. He got off the phone with them, looked at me and said, "You got a good deal." When I made another trip to the Liquor Store, the price had been adjusted on the tags.

So you blew it for anyone else who might have gotten an in-store discount. Good job.

Reaction score
I believe I did say you could be correct. My apology comment was tongue in cheek. However, your initial stance was one of authority on the issue, and judging by one of your replies, you are no longer sure. I was just sharing some info I thought anyone who reads this thread would be interested in. If I offended you by showing this "Frankenstein" beast, it is I who should apologise.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatuknowaboutthat
no apologies at all. I'm still not sold. LVC's have big "E"s. Your's aren't LVCs. Sure it has all the tell-tale signs, hidden rivets, redline selvage, even the fit. But looks like you got some weird frankenstein Levi's sh!t that isn't impressive at all. Why would you spend 200+ on some lackluster jeans when that 200+ can be spent on either the real deal or another brand altogether? If you have 6 pairs of LVC 47's you would know by now that if it doesn't have a big "E", you either have a defective version or something else.

Just because you threw together the Jcrew tags + receipt + your ugly levis =/= thats what the website is selling. Is there a chance you got those at J Crew? Sure? Is there a chance you and I are talking about two completely different levi's that jcrew is carrying sure? But do I owe you an apology? Nope

What makes them so? Lack of the all-powerful big "E"?

He didn't pay $200 for his jeans either.

Now, he actually bought something from J Crew. Why don't you just stop by their store and investigate the matter in person? Instead of, you know, doing arbitrary pictorial comparisons on the Interwebz? Stop being a dick.

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
So you blew it for anyone else who might have gotten an in-store discount. Good job.

why would you even want these, even at the "discounted" price? Barney's has the real deal 47s on sale for $109 on their website

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads