• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All about Levi's

Joshua Arson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by itsjustadrian
There's no blatant branding to tell it apart from the original 501 fit, but you could just ask a sales associate and they'd know.

Sadly, all I have around here is the usual mall store crap, and then a Levi's outlet, not a Levi's store. The people at the outlet are as clueless as the people at the mall stores.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought that, on MyNudies.com, someone had said that the regular 501s had a new slimmer cut but that the STFs hadn't changed.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joshua Arson
Nah, I mean the basic 35 dollar STFs. They're supposed to be using the 1947 cut now. But I don't know how to tell if a store is selling through its old stock or not, and don't know if there's anything on the tags to differentiate between old STFs and the newer, slimmer ones.

They're not making the STF 501s in the 1947 cut yet. The best you can do is 'Rigid Rinse.' If you go to the Levi's site, they are the 'Global Blues' model of the 501. I think you can only get them online and at Levi's stores right now.

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joshua Arson
Sadly, all I have around here is the usual mall store crap, and then a Levi's outlet, not a Levi's store. The people at the outlet are as clueless as the people at the mall stores.
Not all of them are clueless. I used to work at a Levi's outlet before I transferred to a retail store. In fact, the people here are more clueless about meticulous details than the associates at the outlet.

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
Retail stores would. And outlets after the holidays since they get LVC and Capital E transfers for only about $10 or so.

CoconutBanana

Reaction score
Anyone here try the 501 Global Blues in "perfect worn selvage" yet? The pre distressing on these actually doesn't look that terrible from the pics on the levis site.

KimboIsLegit

Reaction score
I just tried on some 501 STFs from Sears and Kohls. They had different tags and patch on the back were also different. The Kohls said 501xx and the Sears just had 501. The ones at Sears were also much slimmer, kinda like 514s but with a higher rise. Could the 501 STFs be using the 1947 now too?

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the "Tumbled Rigid" color of the 514 is dark blue or gray? I was thinking of picking some up online, but would prefer an indigo to a gray.

Thanks!

Edit: As always, the thread I check last in my search appears to have the answer. I'll assume they are very dark blue. If I'm wrong though, someone please correct me before I order them this evening.

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcus Brody
Does anyone know if the "Tumbled Rigid" color of the 514 is dark blue or gray? I was thinking of picking some up online, but would prefer an indigo to a gray.

Thanks!

Edit: As always, the thread I check last in my search appears to have the answer. I'll assume they are very dark blue. If I'm wrong though, someone please correct me before I order them this evening.

dark blue straight indigo without any fading. I think the consensus is that it's one wash so they're pretty soft, but it's definitely a no nonsense even dark blue.

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hollowsleather
Has anyone seen the 501STF in Greencast in person yet?
Yep, looks pretty cool. Urban carries it if you wanna check it out in person
Originally Posted by Marcus Brody
Does anyone know if the "Tumbled Rigid" color of the 514 is dark blue or gray? I was thinking of picking some up online, but would prefer an indigo to a gray. Thanks! Edit: As always, the thread I check last in my search appears to have the answer. I'll assume they are very dark blue. If I'm wrong though, someone please correct me before I order them this evening.
tumbled rigid is a very very dark blue, looks almost black. Once it starts fading though, it starts to get a greenish tint. this is my 511 in tumbled rigid aka soft rigid
3000955429_2ffe0d733e_o.jpg
What size were you looking for?

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatuknowaboutthat

What size were you looking for?

Thanks both you guys.

I was actually deciding on the size as well. I'm sitting here in 33/34 514s and was deciding whether I want to go up to 36 inseams. It might be a bit long, but it gives me the option to hem it or cuff it to ideal length. One issue is that they only seem to have 32 or 34 width in 36 length. I'd go with the 32s if I were to go 36 and wouldn't worry too much about it (as my actual waist is probably 32 at the moment), but it would have been ideal if they'd had 33s.

Let me see if I can get a picture of how these fit and you can advise on the length. I actually haven't bought jeans in probably 2 years. How many people on this forum could say that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads