• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for 7:th pair of shoes

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Hi all,

One year ago I started to build my "quality" (everything is relative) shoe collection. I've acquired 5 pairs since then, and I've got a sixth pair since seven years although the quality would be questionable in the eyes of many SF member.

Attaching photo. What you see from left to right (first top, then bottom row), is the following:

Alfred Sargent Havant (Classic Collection) chukka boots
C&J Westfield semi-brogue Oxfords
Sabelt driving tassel loafer
Alfred Sargent Harrow (Classic Collection) tassel loafer (burgundy color)
Alfred Sargent Epsom (Classic Collection) Oxfords
Hugo Boss loafers
facepalm.gif

Yes, the Boss loafers are the old ones, but they've peformed fine through the years and at least they are made in Italy.

Anyway, forget about the Boss loafers. My question is, which shoes would be your next purchase if you had these shoes? Preferably English and not costing more than the C&J shoes. My own thoughts are; I'm lacking something in a more classic brown leather (not burgundy). Perhaps a quality derby shoe...

Comments and thoughts are appreciated.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should ask Vox. He just bought his 8th pair so he can likely fill you in on the experience of choosing his 7th.

On a more serious note, the two glaring omissions I see are monk straps and Chelsea boots.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Thank you for suggestions, although EG is too expensive for me. I currently can't see myself paying more than £300 for a pair of shoes.

As most of my shoes are for spring/summer/autumn, I think something for winter is needed, in addition to those chukka boots. I still think a brown leather derby (rubber sole) would be great, but Chelsea boots seems like a nice suggestion too. Monk straps are pretty cool, I'm just not sure it's my cup of tea.

This was easier than I thought: I will chose between brown Chelsea boots or derbys and I will do it in September.

bigstar[1].gif

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
How about C&J Lowndes? Worth it if you push up the budget slightly.

They look very nice, but maybe too delicate to use during a northern Europe winter, which is a requirement (I should have been more clear on this in the original post). Thick Dainite soles are not required, the Havant chukkas have that, but at least a layer of rubber on leather soles. Of course my cobbler could fix this but I prefer to keep shoes/soles the way they were originally intended.

EDIT: Hey, where did my photo attachment of the original post go? It's gone? Or did I never post it in the first place?!?!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics