Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 10:15 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2637post #39541 of 12241612/19/12 at 6:15pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #39542 of 12241612/19/12 at 6:17pmpost #39543 of 12241612/19/12 at 6:35pmpost #39544 of 12241612/19/12 at 8:41pmQuote:
My personal experience is that when I nailed my size down with Alden, I had far fewer beef rolls (going from 9.5e to 9e). Some of my Alden shoes and boots have almost no beefroll and creasing now. Having said that my chukkas show more creasing than do my other shoes and boots.post #39545 of 12241612/19/12 at 9:22pmI washed this shoe with Saphir suede soap and an oil stain did not come out. I'm now attempting the old baby powder method. I first placed the shoe in a plastic bag, then applied a hot towel on the outside to heat it up. Finally I applied the powder with my finger to the stain. I really hope it works. Lesson learned: Never eat while standing.
Edited by P. Bateman - 12/19/12 at 11:29pmpost #39546 of 12241612/19/12 at 9:49pmpost #39547 of 12241612/19/12 at 10:08pmpost #39548 of 12241612/19/12 at 10:13pmpost #39549 of 12241612/19/12 at 10:54pmpost #39550 of 12241612/20/12 at 12:37amQuote:Originally Posted by P. Bateman
I washed this shoe with Saphir suede soap and an oil stain did not come out. I'm now attempting the old baby powder method. I first placed the shoe in a plastic bag, then applied a hot towel on the outside to heat it up. Finally I applied the powder with my finger to the stain. I really hope it works. Lesson learned: Never eat while standing.
Ha! I have the tan suede chukkas with a similar problem. I was eating fried buffalo pork ribs from a food truck and dripped. They were delicious, but my heart sank as I looked down at my toe. Got them home and did the corn starch and brushed the hell out of them. Think I did some vinegar too. It's certainly not gone, but not noticeable unless you are really looking for it. Might give the Saphir a try.
Edited by warrenjl1 - 12/20/12 at 4:11pmpost #39551 of 12241612/20/12 at 1:01amQuote:
I purchased a pair of new Whiskey LWB from a fellow forum member and noticed the right shoe is a touch darker than the left shoe!
The shoes are beautiful and may be I'm the only one who might notice the difference.
Is it a common problem with Alden's light colour shells?
What would be the best way to make the colour of the two shoes more even by:
(1) exposing the darker right shoe in direct sun light and hope that it lighten up a bit
(2) using a darker paste wax for the lighter shoe (what colour?)
Any other suggestions? Thanks.post #39552 of 12241612/20/12 at 4:28ampost #39553 of 12241612/20/12 at 6:27ampost #39554 of 12241612/20/12 at 6:47amQuote:
When I think of beef rolls, I think of Negimaki...
This pic may not be the best to demonstrate. Take a look at the following Alden beef rolls...
The second one isn't quite as pronounced, but I think still applies. To me, the following would be a more desired level of creasing, but this is just MHO.
Please feel to correct or qualify as I am by no means an expert on this.post #39555 of 12241612/20/12 at 6:51am
Just picked up a pair of the J.Crew Alden Indy 405's. Love the shoe, but I'm not a huge fan of the white contrast stitching on the toe of the Indy boots. What are my options, if any, to change the color of this stitching? I have been told using a dark cream polish would darken the stitching but will it completely change the color of the boot forever?
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Eidos Napoli 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 4 minutes ago
- › CAROL CHRISTIAN POELL 5 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 5 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 7 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 8 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 8 minutes ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 16 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 24 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?