or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7116  

post #106726 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

I think we all know that Aldens are not made the same way as St. Crispins so can we please let it go? Aldens are not made by robots, either, so there is some human hand work.


That's it. I'm selling all my Aldens.
post #106727 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

Regrets if this is a touchy subject, but it's my first post on the "handmade" topic. For me, a shoe should be hand-welted to be considered handmade. Merely feeding components into machines by hand doesn't mean much; even complete crap like Aldo involves that.

In my experience, the human work that fed the hide into the machine could well have been inebriated, from the looks of it. I should post some photos of the #8 shell cordovan Indys that came out fresh of the box with poor stitching that was already starting to fail, and then fell apart (complete separation of heel from upper) in less than a year. I'm not expecting something that compares to my Vass or Koronya stuff — though for what they cost in Europe, it wouldn't be unreasonable — but not having visible, sloppy rework on the uppers, and a sole that actually stays attached, shouldn't be too much to ask.
It's not touchy at all. It's just that everyone here know what Aldens are. So nobody really cares about your argument.
post #106728 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel28 View Post

That's it. I'm selling all my Aldens.
Good idea. Get out know before the bottom falls out.
post #106729 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

Regrets if this is a touchy subject, but it's my first post on the "handmade" topic. For me, a shoe should be hand-welted to be considered handmade. Merely feeding components into machines by hand doesn't mean much; even complete crap like Aldo involves that.

In my experience, the human work that fed the hide into the machine could well have been inebriated, from the looks of it. I should post some photos of the #8 shell cordovan Indys that came out fresh of the box with poor stitching that was already starting to fail, and then fell apart (complete separation of heel from upper) in less than a year. I'm not expecting something that compares to my Vass or Koronya stuff — though for what they cost in Europe, it wouldn't be unreasonable — but not having visible, sloppy rework on the uppers, and a sole that actually stays attached, shouldn't be too much to ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

Regrets if this is a touchy subject, but it's my first post on the "handmade" topic. For me, a shoe should be hand-welted to be considered handmade. Merely feeding components into machines by hand doesn't mean much; even complete crap like Aldo involves that.

In my experience, the human work that fed the hide into the machine could well have been inebriated, from the looks of it. I should post some photos of the #8 shell cordovan Indys that came out fresh of the box with poor stitching that was already starting to fail, and then fell apart (complete separation of heel from upper) in less than a year. I'm not expecting something that compares to my Vass or Koronya stuff — though for what they cost in Europe, it wouldn't be unreasonable — but not having visible, sloppy rework on the uppers, and a sole that actually stays attached, shouldn't be too much to ask.

Troll much? And why the assumption that the factory workers are "inebriated"? You're name says it all. You are indeed belligerent. .
post #106730 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by breck81 View Post
 

*All just my opinion. To each their own*

 

Maybe that's true for craftsmanship, but aesthetically(IMO) Alden's NST hand stitched decorative toes are leaps and bounds ahead of EG. The EG Dover does nothing for me. It reminds me of the Alden V-Tip. Just not my style. My statement has nothing to do with quality or craftsmanship. Just aesthetics:)

 

In the words of Dennis Miller, "Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Yep. You are. LMAO. Kidding. Sorta.  :hide:

 

:fence:

post #106731 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Good idea. Get out know before the bottom falls out.

What was I doing all this time hahaha, I think I'll go back to Aldo and Kenneth Cole. What's the difference.
post #106732 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel28 View Post


What was I doing all this time hahaha, I think I'll go back to Aldo and Kenneth Cole. What's the difference.

Nothing. That's exactly the point. All are made by drunk robots. 

post #106733 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty123 View Post


Troll much? And why the assumption that the factory workers are "inebriated"? You're name says it all. You are indeed belligerent. .

Ah, so giving some feedback on genuine quality issues is considered trolling? In "you're" opinion, perhaps.

FWIW, it was a master shoemaker (Marcel Mrsan of Koronya) who mentioned that it looked like a drunk person did the upper work, not me. He called it a waste of cordovan, and felt said that he felt sorry for the horse that gave such a quality piece of hide in vain.

If this is simply the "Hooray for Alden!" thread, then carry on, but if anyone is interested in an example of legitimately poor quality, I'm happy to show some photos of what I'm talking about. On the plus side, my Alden suede chukkas have been holding up OK.
post #106734 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
 

Nothing. That's exactly the point. All are made by drunk robots. 

I'm very impressed that robots can consume enough liquids to actually get drunk. I just figured that much liquid would cause other issues with the electronics and what not. "Aldens...Made by Sauced Up Robots Since 1884" Sounds pretty damn cool to me.:rotflmao:

post #106735 of 122416

ok well then you both made assumptions? and yes this is a "Hooray Alden thread." But you have a God given right to your opinion. and that god given right includes "thread $hitting." peace and love.

post #106736 of 122416

:lurk:

post #106737 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

I agree with almost all of that. Alden's decorative split toe is one of my favorites, but it doesn't come close to the true split toe and hand sewn apron of EG's Dover.

Tif,

Your appreciation for the EG Dover inspires me to get a pair. What is the up charge to have a pair made in wide widths?

That is definitely a noteworthy shoe and your collection is admirable my friend.
post #106738 of 122416

Question: When given the choice between the Alden commando sole and the standard leather on a pair of shell wingtip boots (for casual work and off work use), is there any good argument for the commando? In this case: will not be wearing in bad weather or rain, so won't be necessary for that. Nor do I plan to go "off road" in them. I am just about to pull the trigger in the next 24 hours and have the choice between the two, and was wondering whether I might be missing something...

 

Thanks.

post #106739 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPetronius View Post
 

Question: When given the choice between the Alden commando sole and the standard leather on a pair of shell wingtip boots (for casual work and off work use), is there any good argument for the commando? In this case: will not be wearing in bad weather or rain, so won't be necessary for that. Nor do I plan to go "off road" in them. I am just about to pull the trigger in the next 24 hours and have the choice between the two, and was wondering whether I might be missing something...

 

Thanks.

The Commando is good to have because you really can't count on the weather. And if you don't want to wear leather in the wet then it's good option. 

 

But if you are like me and don't really mind if your leather soles get wet then I think the double leather is the better looking option and the way I'd go. 

post #106740 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post


Ah, so giving some feedback on genuine quality issues is considered trolling? In "you're" opinion, perhaps.

FWIW, it was a master shoemaker (Marcel Mrsan of Koronya) who mentioned that it looked like a drunk person did the upper work, not me. He called it a waste of cordovan, and felt said that he felt sorry for the horse that gave such a quality piece of hide in vain.

If this is simply the "Hooray for Alden!" thread, then carry on, but if anyone is interested in an example of legitimately poor quality, I'm happy to show some photos of what I'm talking about. On the plus side, my Alden suede chukkas have been holding up OK.

 

I would be interested in seeing some pictures, seriously.

 

Handmade or not, is not really the issue.  Quality control is.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.