• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

storing/hanging denim

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
ok so I'm probably not the only person who loves denim but can't live in denim (silly work thing).

Is there a right and wrong way of storing them between wears or does it play any factor into breaking in?

I typically loosely clip them to a hanger so they keep their shape without breaking the natural wear wrinkles. Is this best practice?

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes
ok so I'm probably not the only person who loves denim but can't live in denim (silly work thing).

Is there a right and wrong way of storing them between wears or does it play any factor into breaking in?

I typically loosely clip them to a hanger so they keep their shape without breaking the natural wear wrinkles. Is this best practice?

I just fold them up and throw them in my closet. Haven't had any problems with unwanted fades or creases yet, and I've been doing that for over 10 years now.

Telleur

Reaction score
They say your supposed to take them off and leave them where they lay to preserve the folds, however...

For the rest of us that live in a civilised society, I just hang mine up by the belt loop on the side of the hip so as to help keep the shape. I dont like to fold them and store them with my pants that I wash more frequently. I cringe just thinking about it, but I am very OCD about how I store things.

How you store them won't really make a difference in the breaking in process

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
If it's raw, folding them can affect the breaking in process, namely by leaving visible creases where you fold them (especially if you always fold them the same way).

I hang mine with these kinds of hangers because they seem to be the most gentle to me. But the pair I'm wearing often at the time usually just gets tossed on the floor.
Skirt_Pants_hanger_L33250N.jpg

madmadigan

Reaction score
I swear I saw some pic somewhere on here or other forum of a guy with three pairs of jeans on a long clothing rack hung up next to eachother by the waist, so they looked as if someone was still wearing them, ie the knee had a slight bend to them etc. pretty funny how far people take it, no hate though, it did look kind of cool

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
I just fold them up and throw them in my closet. Haven't had any problems with unwanted fades or creases yet, and I've been doing that for over 10 years now.

this^^

hobojones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Telleur
They say your supposed to take them off and leave them where they lay to preserve the folds, however...

For the rest of us that live in a civilised society, I just hang mine up by the belt loop on the side of the hip so as to help keep the shape. I dont like to fold them and store them with my pants that I wash more frequently. I cringe just thinking about it, but I am very OCD about how I store things.

How you store them won't really make a difference in the breaking in process

For the most part I typically hang mine up by the belt loops too, but on the days where I come home late and I'm exhausted, I'll just leave them on the floor, but I'll take care to at least make them flat first. From my experience, folding them and throwing them in the closet shouldn't be a problem as long as you're going to wear them soon after, but as a tale of caution: I folded up my pair of PBJs and left them for maybe 2 months and they did indeed gain unsightly creases.

alexanduh

Reaction score
i fold mine in the middle and hang them by the belt loops on the side. works fine for me.

joshyle

Reaction score
Sleep in them. It eliminates the need to ever store them.
wink.gif

If you're not into sleeping in them, then I'd just hang them from their belt loop on a wall coat hanger:
enzo-mari-globo_m6qk.jpg

Islander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by madmadigan
I swear I saw some pic somewhere on here or other forum of a guy with three pairs of jeans on a long clothing rack hung up next to eachother by the waist, so they looked as if someone was still wearing them, ie the knee had a slight bend to them etc. pretty funny how far people take it, no hate though, it did look kind of cool

Ha ha I remember that picture too, each pair hanging on the rack with it's own Tanner belt of a different colour. Looked very cool actually. Damn imageshack, hopefully someone can find that pic for lulz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads