Being in Japan right now where the 11/11 isn't observed, I didn't wear any poppy this year. I usually wear a white one. But I don't intend to argue about that here. Let's try to stick to the clothes, people; this isn't a politics thread.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:24 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 10/5/16 at 11:38pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4286post #64276 of 7871711/12/13 at 4:34pmpost #64277 of 7871711/12/13 at 4:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by Caustic Man
Can you explain what this British Legion is, and why it has widespread appeal in the commonwealth? Most people in the U.S. know when Veterans Day is (stores use it as an excuse to throw sales), but I think few would associate the poppy with it. Which is unfortunate, because it is such a moving and meaningful symbol, once you know what it means.
As I understand it the BL is like a British equivalent to the VA but I think funded through charity rather than the government (at least in part). When I was a kid it was named the Haig Fund after a WW1 general but it MAY have shifted away from that as through the prism of history I think Haig has been identified as one of the donkeys leading the lions.
Anyway the story goes that after the smoke cleared following the armistice, the first thing to start growing in the mud and pestilence of the abandoned trenches that scarred Western Europe from the Bltic to the Mediterranean was poppies, so that's how they got adopted as the symbol of remembrance.
Although its called the British legion, I guess that our commonwealth allies have their own branches but it never really took off with the yanks, who may have had their own version in the works already. I've never really got the difference between Memorial Day in May and Remembrance Day in November, other than the chance to re-watch Band of Brothers again!post #64278 of 7871711/12/13 at 4:43pmpost #64279 of 7871711/12/13 at 4:45pmQuote:
I can tell you the difference in the U.S. Veterans Day (formerly known as armistice day) is to honor living veterans. Memorial day is to honor those who died in war.post #64280 of 7871711/12/13 at 4:47pmQuote:
OK I thought it was something like that but the other way around. For us I suppose Remembrance Day covers it all, just like Christmas is family reunion, food and presents all rolled together, so no need for Thanksgiving!post #64281 of 7871711/12/13 at 4:50pmpost #64282 of 7871711/12/13 at 5:39pmpost #64283 of 7871711/12/13 at 5:57pmpost #64284 of 7871711/12/13 at 6:31pmQuote:
as the main MC thread, this is essentially the general hang out thread. all stripes of conversation happen here at all times. i enjoy it. but thats no surprise.post #64285 of 7871711/12/13 at 6:40pmpost #64286 of 7871711/12/13 at 6:49pmQuote:
You got way more thumbs than me today, so there's no reason you should be taking my advice, but I'd have gone with a darker tie. I'm also generally not a fan of a sport coat with khakis, but that may just be a personal taste.
That jacket is 100% sweet, though.post #64287 of 7871711/12/13 at 7:18pm
Quote:Originally Posted by GMMcL
Stitchy's got it exactly right, and this is the advice you will get on the thrift thread, too. Almost 0% of my wardrobe (other than unmentionables) was bought retail (unless you count TJX as retail). To be sure, a few things are off by a half inch here or there, but I like to think my eye has improved to the point that I'm generally pretty close. Be ruthlessly honest with yourself about what really fits (lurk here for good examples then emulate), and if you are buying only for yourself (as opposed to for trade/resale), save the money for the items that fit.Quote:Originally Posted by Ianiceman
It's bad manners to wear a hat indoors and I'm sure the original wearer of that suit would have taken his off once he crossed the threshold.
@ Cliche - Stitchy is handing out some sound advice in his last couple of posts. You say you thrifted some of your threads? Take a look at Pingson's jacket and see how it is an almost perfect fit? THAT is how to thrift my friend!
Applying what I know now, I went home and tried on all the blazers I have and most of them (lets say 75%) are okay with maybe one thing or two things that are slightly off, sadly the others are like this. Hilariously, I just realized that I put on the wrong navy blazer this morning. I bought this one to wear with a sweater. The other one is lighter weight and is a 38 instead of 42 in the shoulders. I'm realistically a 38-40 depending on the cut and the fabric.
In any event, I definitely know what to look for a lot more now and I'm excited to put it all to use.
Thankfully most of the things I own already aren't a huge embarrassment, but are definitely not SF worthy.
Also, if the jacket is a nice fit how much does it typically cost to bring it in a little bit? A few of them are nice enough to invest in a little bit. Otherwise, I just need to be cognizant of the fact that I'm thin and need to pay more attention when I shop for this stuff. I'm well aware of the sunk cost fallacy.
I suppose I can also get measured when there and look at things online as well.post #64288 of 7871711/12/13 at 7:50pmAsk around and try to find a good seamstress or tailor. It's unlikely you'll find this person at your local dry cleaners. A good seamstress may be able to make an OK jacket fit near perfectly so make sure when buying or thrifting that you figure the cost of alterations into the cost of the clothes. An excellent seamstress will not only do good work, but give you good advice on what adjustments can be made and what are not worth the money due to the high likelihood of failure.post #64289 of 7871711/12/13 at 8:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Ask around and try to find a good seamstress or tailor. It's unlikely you'll find this person at your local dry cleaners. A good seamstress may be able to make an OK jacket fit near perfectly so make sure when buying or thrifting that you figure the cost of alterations into the cost of the clothes. An excellent seamstress will not only do good work, but give you good advice on what adjustments can be made and what are not worth the money due to the high likelihood of failure.
Thanks and will do. I'm in boston, so there shouldn't be a shortage. The shortage is with my $$$ however and the 9-10 odd blazers I have, I've probably spent 100-150 on total. As I said earlier, most are of acceptable fit with a few being more off. That said, there's no point sinking money into something that's going to stay acceptable.
Thanks for all your help everyone. I'm going to stop derailing this thread now.post #64290 of 7871711/12/13 at 8:35pmQuote:
That jacket is Awesome. Are those black ( /charcoal?) flannels that you've paired it with?
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 5 seconds ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 15 seconds ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 46 seconds ago
- › WTF over-zealous police? 49 seconds ago
- › 2017 50 Book Challenge 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › RIP Gene Wilder 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 3 minutes ago
- › Experience with Pediwear 3 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...