or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 3006  

post #45076 of 78724


Borrelli fox fur hooded coat
Levis
28" of snow
Kids fun - priceless
post #45077 of 78724
^ Fit would be better with a insulated polyester jacket and pents
post #45078 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

^ Fit would be better with a insulated polyester jacket and pents

I was not outside that long. smile.gif
post #45079 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by mktitsworth View Post

Anybody have any thoughts on my fit today? I was hoping for some feedback. I'm not really worried about the fit (save for something I plan to ask Despos about when I see him), but I was wondering about the combination. I've not really tried or considered a blue shirt with this suit before and I like it alright. Would be interested in hearing the thoughts of others though.

A pinstripe herringbone seems tough to pull off. I've considered getting one but it is not easy for me to wear. I've saved this pic to get an idea on how to wear it.

post #45080 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianiceman View Post

Oh get a grip man. He chose the suit colour and is clearly content with it. He posted pictures and solicited opinions. I don't like the colour so i gave an opinion, with which he can choose to agree, disagree, ignore or get butthurt by. I could of course have chosen to have kept my opinion completely to myself, just as he could have chosen not to post pictures, and where would this message board be without either? I'm sure he's sleeping soundly in his bed knowing he has Internet friends to jump to his defence when someone is being 'disrespectful'. Or maybe I should just only post 'well done', 'good job', 'awesomesauce', 'amazeballs', etc etc ?

ian, no hate, but i think that what you are for some reason missing, is that it is not hard to give constructive criticism without shitting on someones face. you can voice your opinion, and state the issues you see with someones fit, but all the adjectives and OTT pejoratives are what are unnecessary. it has become your schtick, and if you like it, thats your call, but dont act surprised when people tell you you are being disrespectful, you are.

to wit, you could have accomplished the same thing, actually, 'tits would have probably have been far more open to you, had you tried something like this:

I still can't fathom what possessed dont understand why you chose to get a suit in that colour. It looks like the coat of a subterranean mole who has just emerged from his burrow through a peat bog swamp filled with effluent from the local power plant. With everything at your disposal for a bespoke commission it baffles me doesnt make sense to me to chose such an odd color, and to your point, doesn't make an easy choice for you when it comes to selecting accompanying shirts, ties, socks etc. Fit is good, so there is that!

see, when you bring up a critical point, you are already telling someone you think they messed up. phrasing it like a dick, makes people even more defensive and dismissive, even if you have made a valid point. a little politeness goes a long way.

just my 2c
post #45081 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Borrelli fox fur hooded coat
Levis
28" of snow
Kids fun - priceless

super cute. nice coat too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

A pinstripe herringbone seems tough to pull off. I've considered getting one but it is not easy for me to wear. I've saved this pic to get an idea on how to wear it. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

100% agree. i have one almost exactly like the above, and something along the lines of that fit (minus the matchy PS) is pretty much the only way it seems to work for me.
post #45082 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


100% agree. i have one almost exactly like the above, and something along the lines of that fit (minus the matchy PS) is pretty much the only way it seems to work for me.

As a suit? I'd be surprised you can find that RTW these days.
post #45083 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

As a suit? I'd be surprised you can find that RTW these days.

it was not RTW. it was a zegna su misura. it was likely the biggest monetary clothing purchase mistake i have ever made. i like the suit, but its almost impossible to use with any frequency imo. being that i had no good suits, it was a pretty dumb first good suit purchase. i think about the solid blue and gray nailheads swatches i saw and could have got, or at least a cool FU plaid. ah well, live and learn.
post #45084 of 78724
This seems to have moved in a weird direction, so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

You should be more respectful. He spent a lot of money on the suit (this is made by Despos, right?) and he likes it a lot. No need to rain on his parade in an attempt to make him regret a very expensive purchase. Uncalled for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

ian, no hate, but i think that what you are for some reason missing, is that it is not hard to give constructive criticism without shitting on someones face. you can voice your opinion, and state the issues you see with someones fit, but all the adjectives and OTT pejoratives are what are unnecessary. it has become your schtick, and if you like it, thats your call, but dont act surprised when people tell you you are being disrespectful, you are.

to wit, you could have accomplished the same thing, actually, 'tits would have probably have been far more open to you, had you tried something like this:

I still can't fathom what possessed dont understand why you chose to get a suit in that colour. It looks like the coat of a subterranean mole who has just emerged from his burrow through a peat bog swamp filled with effluent from the local power plant. With everything at your disposal for a bespoke commission it baffles me doesnt make sense to me to chose such an odd color, and to your point, doesn't make an easy choice for you when it comes to selecting accompanying shirts, ties, socks etc. Fit is good, so there is that!

see, when you bring up a critical point, you are already telling someone you think they messed up. phrasing it like a dick, makes people even more defensive and dismissive, even if you have made a valid point. a little politeness goes a long way.

just my 2c

First off, I appreciate the support from both of you. It makes me feel like a member who has been accepted into the community. However I am well aware that in the market of internet opinions, caveat emptor. This is also StyFo, and the candor of the offending post certainly was not above and beyond anything to be expected. If my response seemed curt, it was because the framing for my response came out of the character of Morpheus from "The Matrix Reloaded." There's the scene where he's talking to Commander Locke who says "Damn it Morpheus, not everyone believes what you believe." To which Morpheus responds "My beliefs do not require them to." Ian doesn't like it, which is a perfectly valid opinion. However, there wasn't really anything presented upon which to expand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianiceman View Post

Oh get a grip man. He chose the suit colour and is clearly content with it. He posted pictures and solicited opinions. I don't like the colour so i gave an opinion, with which he can choose to agree, disagree, ignore or get butthurt by. I could of course have chosen to have kept my opinion completely to myself, just as he could have chosen not to post pictures, and where would this message board be without either? I'm sure he's sleeping soundly in his bed knowing he has Internet friends to jump to his defence when someone is being 'disrespectful'. Or maybe I should just only post 'well done', 'good job', 'awesomesauce', 'amazeballs', etc etc ?

I also appreciate not being placated. What's the point in that? One of the things I enjoy about the forum is that the horrible is rarely allowed to stand. While it is perfectly suitable for many to simply watch and learn, this is not a descriptor that has ever applied to me. I learn a lot by being able to consider opinions other than my own. I have limited vision and there are plenty of things in the world that I just don't see. In making my first post, I knew full well to expect an onslaught of deconstruction. Missing that, I then asked for it - literally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

A pinstripe herringbone seems tough to pull off. I've considered getting one but it is not easy for me to wear. I've saved this pic to get an idea on how to wear it.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

100% agree. i have one almost exactly like the above, and something along the lines of that fit (minus the matchy PS) is pretty much the only way it seems to work for me.

This is actually part of the reason why I think I like it so much. There's a bit of puzzle to figure out with it. I think that navy and charcoal with white shirts and soporific ties look excellent when done well. They're just not things that I see myself wearing often. I own navy, charcoal, chocolate, tan birdseye, and a tan herringbone suits in addition to the one posted. Of them, the ones I wear most often are the chocolate, the birdsey and the herringbone. I bought the charcoal and the navy because they were the things I was supposed to buy that are supposed to be the most versatile. I rarely wear them because they just don't interest me.

Maybe if I end up back in a court room for some reason they will be preferable, but I'm an academic. We have the luxury of our only dress code being that you're wearing some sort of pants. I have no social nor class requirements placed on me at this point, and so the question is how do I want to look?

I would not be here if I ascribed to the idea that anything goes and there is no skill to be learned, but I also have no compulsion or incentive (beyond the strictures emposed by the community here) to follow along the prescribed school of thought. To be sure, this is not a statement of rebellion against StyFo norms, as I think they have a lot to offer me and can be of supreme use. I am merely reiterating the statement I made back at the beginning of 2012 in the "Sartorial Resolutions" thread or something like that.

At the same time, the whole thing, thus far, has seemed to me to be prone to over thinking. I bought it because I like it and because I can see myself wearing it and the puzzle keeps me interested. When I bought it I was pretty sure I'd never wear it with a blue shirt, but upon trying it seemed to work well to me. I can be dense though, so I asked. I knew the things I wanted to change about it, but in such situations I prefer to keep mum so as not to bias what others will say.

I think that suit and I will get along famously for years, and that I will have no qualms about it. Part of the reason Despos suggested the fabric to me was because it was interesting. The more time that I have spent playing with it, the more I am glad that I listened to him. It reflects the way I think about myself and how I want to be perceived by others. I have no complaints.
post #45085 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by mktitsworth View Post


This is actually part of the reason why I think I like it so much. There's a bit of puzzle to figure out with it. I think that navy and charcoal with white shirts and soporific ties look excellent when done well. They're just not things that I see myself wearing often. I own navy, charcoal, chocolate, tan birdseye, and a tan herringbone suits in addition to the one posted. Of them, the ones I wear most often are the chocolate, the birdsey and the herringbone. I bought the charcoal and the navy because they were the things I was supposed to buy that are supposed to be the most versatile. I rarely wear them because they just don't interest me.

There are so many permutations to navy that it can be a study of itself. There is the high contrast black and white, gingham with grenadine/woven/textured tie, fancy striped shirt + club tie and etc. I suspect that you are in an early stage of sartorial investigations where interesting = good. I was there once but have moved on to seeking refinement. Only time will tell how your taste develops.
post #45086 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

There are so many permutations to navy that it can be a study of itself. There is the high contrast black and white, gingham with grenadine/woven/textured tie, fancy striped shirt + club tie and etc. I suspect that you are in an early stage of sartorial investigations where interesting = good. I was there once but have moved on to seeking refinement. Only time will tell how your taste develops.

I don't doubt your statement, nor am in denial as to the versatility of what can be done with navy. Nor do I think that it cannot, in and of itself, be interesting. However, my use of the word interesting has less to do with "not simple" or anything having to do with the clothing itself and more to do with "something that keeps my interest." Given that I have no other impetus for determining a personal mode of dress beyond that I find it interesting, doing something else seems counter productive. I don't deny that what interests me can change in the future nor do I disagree that I am at a relatively early stage in my sartorial investigations. I think refinement and mastery are exceedingly interesting, and can't wait to get there. I don't think I'm there yet though and when I do get there, without some compelling need otherwise, I don't feel the need to get there through things I don't like and don't hold my interest. There will be plenty of time for Navy to hold my interest down the road and I will address it when it is more pertinent.

It is entirely possible that five years down the road I will find this to have been a mistake. However, I make that sort of self-awareness a personal point of focus, and I don't predict that will be the case - hence why I went ahead and bought it. As always though, I could end up being wrong, which is in and of itself something I find interesting.
post #45087 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by mktitsworth View Post

I still have no way to get a full fit pic, but here's as close as it comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

A pinstripe herringbone seems tough to pull off. I've considered getting one but it is not easy for me to wear. I've saved this pic to get an idea on how to wear it.


This is a great example of why it's dangerous to simple ape an Apparel Arts picture. Everything looks so much better drawn.

I don't like the suiting since it looks, to me, alternately loud (with such a bright pinstripe) and dull (with the low contrast, uneven herringbone).

But since you have it and like it, I think you need to wear it like the photo - with mostly blue accessories. The tie is too red to go well with medium grey and too bright itself next to the electric blue stripe.

If you want to go for a solid tie, navy is probably best.
post #45088 of 78724


Well worth requoting.
post #45089 of 78724

Full outfit pic?

post #45090 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by mktitsworth View Post

I don't doubt your statement, nor am in denial as to the versatility of what can be done with navy. Nor do I think that it cannot, in and of itself, be interesting. However, my use of the word interesting has less to do with "not simple" or anything having to do with the clothing itself and more to do with "something that keeps my interest." Given that I have no other impetus for determining a personal mode of dress beyond that I find it interesting, doing something else seems counter productive. I don't deny that what interests me can change in the future nor do I disagree that I am at a relatively early stage in my sartorial investigations. I think refinement and mastery are exceedingly interesting, and can't wait to get there. I don't think I'm there yet though and when I do get there, without some compelling need otherwise, I don't feel the need to get there through things I don't like and don't hold my interest. There will be plenty of time for Navy to hold my interest down the road and I will address it when it is more pertinent.

It is entirely possible that five years down the road I will find this to have been a mistake. However, I make that sort of self-awareness a personal point of focus, and I don't predict that will be the case - hence why I went ahead and bought it. As always though, I could end up being wrong, which is in and of itself something I find interesting.

For what it's worth, I like the pattern of your suit and would wear it myself. I dont know what stage you're in or if this is your "1st" suit or just your 1st custom suit. Either way, if it fits you well then you'll be alright. The color is suitable for any daytime business and is interesting because it is not navy/charcoal/generic pinstripes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III